Gravity Enduro

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I just get the feeling that gravity enduro is where DH'ers go to retire/die? Im getting old and alittle busted up, should I sell my Dh'er and get a 'gravity' bike? Discuss ;-)

Last edited:

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Don't know what the events are like in NSW but i know that the Victorian Gravity Enduro Tour now requires you to ride liason stages on race day with limited shuttles on practice days. How much do you like riding up hills lol?

Last edited:

omac

Likes Dirt
I'm basically a retired DHer now riding AM/GE but at 39ys & 105 kg I'm not paying to ride uphill, I can do that for free when I trail ride with my buddy's. Looks like my racing days are over.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I just get the feeling that gravity enduro is where DH'ers go to retire/die? Im getting old and alittle busted up, should I sell my Dh'er and get a 'gravity' bike? Discuss ;-)
I don't think its where DH'ers go to retire, its where DH'ers go when they realise that there is more to mountain biking than just riding down the side of cliffs and breaking bones
A proper enduro with a good amount of climbing to get to the start of the stages is bloody hard work - check out the course for the National champs in Cairns in October, don't rock up as a "retired" DH'er and expect to place if you aren't fit!
It will also be raced on the National DH course and (I think) some of the worlds DH course. Great fun on an "enduro" bike : )
I think Enduro is more for motivated, technically skilled, fast riders who enjoy putting in a bit of effort to get the reward of the downhill run.
My son finished 3rd in the recent MTBA enduro national series in the U19's.
For years he pushed to get a downhill bike but my wife and I resisted, we were prepared to buy him really decent AM bikes but if he wanted a DH bike he would have to buy it himself. I was not prepared to shuttle him all weekend as he couldn't drive.
As a result he not only got bloody fit riding to the top of the descents but realised that it was actually fun riding trails not just bashing out DH runs. Talk of him getting a DH bike has pretty much dwindled to nothing.

I have to say that "most" of the young'un [15 - 20] downhillers I meet could certainly benefit from a bit of extra fitness work, it would certainly improve their DH times. Most of them think a big day riding is 6 shuttle runs and then they are stuffed after that.
I think its a shame so many young'un spend all their hard earned savings from their part time Maccas job on a busted arse, 5 year old DH bike that only gets used once a month when Dad can be bothered to shuttle them at the local DH venue.
They would get far more use out of, and have more fun in the long tern on a 150mm travel AM Bike.

Rant over

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bollocks to that. If everyone adopts that attitude we'll never see the glorious day where we get chairlifts on every trail.

And I mean every trail
That is why AM e-bikes will evolve and offer much potential ;). Remember when many, many riders scoffed at 29 inch wheels? Many still do, but noticed just how many 29'ers are on the trails these days? 27.5 has really taken off.....possibly more than 29", I don't know for sure as I don't have access to sales figures. Now many manufacturers don't even bother producing framesets or complete bikes that roll on 26" wheels.

There will always be the purists who will won't even acknowledge e-bikes but I reckon the Joe/Joanne Punter market will grow.

I personally can see 27.5/650b e-bikes becoming pretty common on the trails and on the roads within 10 years. Batteries and motors can become smaller/lighter and design will improve to the point where an e-bike will handle as well as a non e-bike. Maybe I am dreaming?

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I personally can see 27.5/650b e-bikes becoming pretty common on the trails and on the roads within 10 years. Batteries and motors can become smaller/lighter and design will improve to the point where an e-bike will handle as well as a non e-bike. Maybe I am dreaming?
Dream? that's no dream, its a fucking nightmare!!
Anyway, Lets not get in to this old chest nut re eBikes, plenty of threads on this subject

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
My son finished 3rd in the recent MTBA enduro national series in the U19's.
Not that I want to completely derail the OP's thread, but how did you find the running of the series under MTBA, did you attend any of the rounds of The Australian Gravity Enduro series in 2014 and how did they compare to the MTBA series?

T-Rex

Template denier
A couple of observations:

The top guys in Enduro/AM push just as hard on the descents as guys in a DH race, scary watching when they wear less protective gear. It would be interesting to know how the injury rates compare.

Top DH'ers are very fit and have super sharp skills, but as you get older you lose that sharpness, but with hard work you can maintain or even further build our fitness.... Depends on how you spend your training time, fitness or tech skills.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Not that I want to completely derail the OP's thread, but how did you find the running of the series under MTBA, did you attend any of the rounds of The Australian Gravity Enduro series in 2014 and how did they compare to the MTBA series?
I helped organise one. The MTBA guy did 1/8 of F'All to help. They walked the track and asked us for all te information. It was like the first time they had even been to an event. Pretty average for a sporting body looking to promote and progress the sport.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So much pedalling...who could bothered? Keep rocking the shuttles, though it may be the end of your racing it doesn't have to be the end of riding. A day shuttling with your crew is heaps of fun. Far superiors to endless kms of climbing sweating huffing and puffing.

I have to say that "most" of the young'un [15 - 20] downhillers I meet could certainly benefit from a bit of extra fitness work, it would certainly improve their DH times. Most of them think a big day riding is 6 shuttle runs and then they are stuffed after that.
I think its a shame so many young'un spend all their hard earned savings from their part time Maccas job on a busted arse, 5 year old DH bike that only gets used once a month when Dad can be bothered to shuttle them at the local DH venue.
They would get far more use out of, and have more fun in the long tern on a 150mm travel AM Bike.

Bent over
I always expected this to be reduced/resolved by 4x/slalom/slope style riding...an entry level bike is much cheaper, shuttles aren't particularly necessary, tracks could be easy to build and maintain, and the excitement of riding fast and doing jumps remains...but these disciplines seem to only be slightly popular.

Also...seems most teenagers run out of steam/concentration fairly quickly, can't just blame the effort of 6 laps of the dh trail.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm basically a retired DHer now riding AM/GE but at 39ys & 105 kg I'm not paying to ride uphill, I can do that for free when I trail ride with my buddy's. Looks like my racing days are over.
I had the same attitude a few weeks ago but thought I'd better have a go and earn my right to complain unlike everyone knocking it without trying.
I'm 40, 105kgs and rode Barjarg, over 2000mtrs of climbing for the weekend. I thought I was going to absolutely hate it but very surprisingly didn't. I just had to HTFU. ;)

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
I had the same attitude a few weeks ago but thought I'd better have a go and earn my right to complain unlike everyone knocking it without trying.
I'm 40, 105kgs and rode Barjarg, over 2000mtrs of climbing for the weekend. I thought I was going to absolutely hate it but very surprisingly didn't. I just had to HTFU. ;)
This.
If you haven't the will to try something new and at least give it a go don't bag it.
Good work Duane. With more events and more riding, by the end of the series you'll be a much better rider and enjoy it even more. .
Also keep your eyes and ears open as I reckon there will be more access to shuttles on the Saturday practice days in coming events.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I have to admit when I switched from DH to Enduro/Trail it was the best choice.

I enjoy downhill but it's quick intense for a short time and then you're either pushing or shuttling. One good day out would probably be 5-6 full runs of a trail and the rest spent pushing, waiting, sitting or sessioning on spot. It's also a case of you work on fitness when you are going to do runs, rather than as you are doing runs, if that makes sense

Got ride of the Lappy and got the 29er Enduro. Bold move but a freaking awesome move.

Now I can drive up, down, left, right whatever. Still don't really 'enjoy' riding up hills and in particular the rally technical stuff. But I way more of a sense of accomplishment ridding for 2-3 hours straight and knowing I'm working on my fitness while enjoying myself.

I haven't done an actual 'gravity enduro' event or anything, and still enjoy a shuttle day at cressy, but overall I now find I am riding more and enjoying.

I also find I'm more switched on going through down sections as I want to make sure I get it right and not waste the effort I put in getting to the top. :p

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Amen Omac. I'm in your boat mate, retired DH racer but not willing to go pay to do a trailride unless its something really spectacular or on private land like Barjarg was on the weekend. I'll do it myself without the cues and when I want to race I'll take my AM/GE bike to the DH races.