Gravity Oriented Trails Difficulty List

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

As a fairly new rider, it would be good to have a central list of trails separated by difficulty that acts sort of like a checklist to progress through, but also a gauge for planning future rides. I'd like to hit up Buller and Thredbo but would like the opinion on trails that are similar so I can get my skills and confidence up.

Youtube videos and trail maps have been great but as you all know, videos don't do difficult trails justice and color ratings for trails aren't always consistent.

I'd like to focus this list towards trails which are mostly gravity oriented.

Please note that this isn't a representation of trail quality. ie Easier = low quality . People have put countless hours into these and their hard work is greatly appreciated.

I'm open to suggestions on improving/making the list easier to read (maybe a key that distinguishes key features?)

Post your trail difficulty ratings people.
Thanks!

Beginner
Aneurysm (B) - Lysterfield
Comm Games (B) - Lysterfield
Follow Me (B) - Lysterfield
Rock Salt - Red Hill
Copperhead - Buller
ABOM - Buller
Outlaw - Buller
Kosciuszko Flow - Thredbo
Hero Trail (B) - Bright
Prospector - Black Hill
Claim Jumper - Black Hill
Delatite - Mt Buller

Both Beginner and Intermediate
ALL - Lake Mountain
ALL - Buxton

Intermediate
Aneurysm (A) - Lysterfield
Comm Games (A) - Lysterfield
Follow Me (A) - Lysterfield
Fall Line - Red Hill
Pins and Needles - Red Hill
Charlotte's Pass - Red Hill
ABOM - Buller
All-Mountain - Thredbo
Hey Hey My My - Warburton
Pinhead (B) - Warburton
Warpij (B) - Warburton
Hero Trail (A) - Bright
Cressy - You Yangs
Trav's Diamond - You Yangs
DH Track - Narbethong
Open Cut (B) - Black Hill
Sluice (B) - Black Hill
Valley - Maldon
City - Maldon
Melon Track - Mt Major
Mueller's - Baw Baw
DH1 - Baw Baw
ALL - Falls Creek
Yellow Post - Mt Buller
Stonefly - Mt Buller
Corn Hill - Mt Buller
Epic - Mt Buller

Expert
Eaton's Cutting - Red Hill
Channel 10 - Dandenong
International - Buller
Cannonball DH - Thredbo
Turbulence - You Yangs
Bandages or Glory - You Yangs
Open Cut (A) - Black Hill
Sluice (A) - Black Hill
DH - Kinglake
World Cup - Bright
Mystic - Bright
Race Track - Maldon
Race Track - Mt Major
Big Hill - Mt Beauty
DH - Mt Beauty
DH - Barjarg
Flow - Barjarg
DH - Granton
Pinhead (A) - Warburton
Warpij (A) - Warburton

Madman
Nico's jumps - Bikepark Ferme Libert

Need info on
Lilydale
Wombat
Warrenbayne
Mt Taylor

Last edited:

Logic

Likes Dirt
Add the channel 10 DH track (Mt Dandenong) to expert, that track is gnarly but insanely fun once you can actually ride down it!
Also, add Eatons Cutting DH (Red Hill) to Madman, that track is munted beyond words. I can barely walk down some of that stuff! :jaw:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Buller:
International - Expert
ABOM - Intermediate
Copperhead - Beginner with sections of Intermediate

Thredbo:
Cannonball DH - Expert
Kosciuszko Flow - Beginner, but can become Intermediate at high speeds
All-Mountain - Intermediate

Warburton:
Hey Hey My My - Intermediate
(Won't list the other two trails yet)

Bright:
Hero Trail - Beginner / Intermediate / Expert (really depends on your speed and what you're hitting as everything can be rolled, or you can pin it and send it)

You Yangs:
Cressy - Intermediate
Turbulence - Intermediate / Expert
Bandages or Glory - Expert

Narbethong:
(Unnamed?) DH track - Intermediate in the dry, Expert in the wet at speed

RAD82

Likes Bikes
Black Hill - Open cut: Intermediate, a couple of a-lines are expert.

Kinglake: Expert, lack of maintenance adds to the difficulty.

moorey

call me Mia
Black Hill - Open cut: Intermediate, a couple of a-lines are expert.
All 3 race tracks at Black Hill are intermediate, with expert option lines. Sluice, prospector and claim jumper are all beginner/intermediate.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Narby is an interesting one. While it's not particularly difficult I've seen a heap of new riders get caught out by the speed you can pick up on some sections. Might be worth adding as a note for anyone wanting to check it out for the first time.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Bright
World Cup - Expert
Mystic - Expert

Maldon
Valley - Intermediate
City - Intermediate
Race Track - Expert

Mt Major
Melon Track - Intermediate
Race Track - Expert

Mt Beauty
All expert

I would have said Kinglake is more intermediate - it's not overly difficult, just fast and rough (similar to ABOM/the 2 easier Maldon tracks)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'd vote for Pins and Needles and Charlottes at Red Hill to be put in the intermediate category, the rationale being that they are no harder than Travs at the You Yangs.

I also wouldn't put any of the Eaton's Cutting tracks in the Madman category as none of them are harder than Mystic at Bright. There used to be a line that was proper Madman, but nobody rides it anymore as there's a less bike-destroying option off to one side. There are some crazy big jumps on some of the tracks, but for people who are good at jumping they wouldn't be considered Madman.

There is one track at Beauty that is definitely Madman, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. Some guys name and off to the left of the old DH line.

I guess that raises the issue: are these ratings based on hitting all the A-lines or just generally riding the trails? For example Abom at Buller would be intermediate if you took all of the B lines, but expert if you hit all the A lines.

Last edited:

Logic

Likes Dirt
I'd vote for Pins and Needles and Charlottes at Red Hill to be put in the intermediate category, the rationale being that they are no harder than Travs at the You Yangs.

I also wouldn't put any of the Eaton's Cutting tracks in the Madman category as none of them are harder than Mystic at Bright. There used to be a line that was proper Madman, but nobody rides it anymore as there's a less bike-destroying option off to one side. There are some crazy big jumps on some of the tracks, but for people who are good at jumping they wouldn't be considered Madman.

I guess that raises the issue: are these ratings based on hitting all the A-lines or just generally riding the trails? For example Abom at Buller would be intermediate if you took all of the B lines, but expert if you hit all the A lines.
Fair enough for Eatons, to be honest I haven't ridden there in a while.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Mt Baw Baw DH intermediate (A & B).
Mt Baw Baw Muellers intermediate

Barjarg DH expert (A & B)
Barjarg Flow track expert (A & B)
Barjarg AM track intermediate (A & B)

All of Falls Creek intermediate

Lake Mountain beginner - intermediate

All of Buxton beginner - intermediate

Last edited: