Greasing/lubing your bike

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Well; to start off I have done quite a few searches to no avail.
If I have missed something please point me in the right direction.
So here goes
When cleaning your bike it is just common knowledge that grease/lube/oil will also wash off with all the other muck.
So after you wash your bike what would you re-grease/lube
i.e bearings, bolts, hubs, pivot points, derailleur, Bottom Bracket etc
But what else do you do beside the chain?

Reece

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3rd post down about cleaning bike:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162995&highlight=CT18

Also, other than lubing your chain, you may have grease ports in your pivots - if not, just spray them with a bit of Silicone spray. Put some silicone spray on your fork stanchions as well (gathers dust yes, but if you are cleaning regularly it doesn matter). Spray the same gear into your rear mech.

Bearings (wheels, BB, heaset & pivots) need to be replaced yearly in humid conditions - the alternative to replacing them is repacking them with new grease. This might not be possible as you may damage the seals in the process. If it is, clean all the old grease out with degreaser, then repack with high quality water dispersing synthetic grease.

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
All depends on what you use, but mainly, no. You cant wash grease or chain lube off with water (well mine anyway:p).

I strip my bike down entirely about every 2-3 months, whether its been ridden 10 times or none, just for the fun of it. I enjoy stripping it down and taking pride in it. After all, we're riding expensive bikes here fella's that need maintaining.

Each individual part gets cleaned appropriately and re greased/lubed etc and put back together.

Generally frame sections, suspension linkages, fork lowers and rims I clean with warm soapy water.

Just be careful with water around your headset, pivot bearings and going into your frame thru the inetrnal holes usually around the bb/pivot areas. I NEVER USE A HIGH PRESSURE CLEANER, ON ANY PART OF THE BIKE. Water can lurk in low spots in the frame so tip it over and around if necessary to drain it then maybe use an air comp or soemthing to blow it out.

Fork staunchions I clean with a alohol wipe then lightly spray with teflon. The seals gets a good cleaning, or replacing as necessary.

I feel each bearing, if its slightly shithouse just replace it, if it's ok, just repack with grease lick said above. Keep in mind if some pivots don't have roller or ball bearings, they will be a plain bearing. THESE STILL NEED TO BE GREASED.

Things like the shock I wipe down with a rag and then alocohol wipes before opening it up to rebuild.

Brakes I just wipe down with a damp rag, the rotors I wipe with alocohol wipes.

Both my chains, and sprockets get cleaned in a narrow cut kerosene then dried. Inspect for wear whislt clean.

When I used to run bikes with rear mech's I just wiped it and lubed all the moving parts. A GOOD TIP IS ALSO TO LUBE YOUR INNER CABLES TO FURTHER AVOID FRICTION WITHIN THE OUTER CABLE HOUSING.

With the wheels I wipe the inside of the rim so there is no moisture and every individual spoke (looser, I know!). I wipe down the tubes to again make sure there is no moisture or anything and the inside of the tyre to get rid of debris. Rear hubs got rebuilt aswell when required.

And yes, when I'm being really padantic I polish the frame with wax and black the tyres. Yet as soon as it's all back together I enjoy nothing more than scooting thu mud! Go figure! haha

Last edited:

Reece.

Likes Dirt
All depends on what you use, but mainly, no. You cant wash grease or chain lube off with water (well mine anyway:p).

I strip my bike down entirely about every 2-3 months, whether its been ridden 10 times or none, just for the fun of it. I enjoy stripping it down and taking pride in it. After all, we're riding expensive bikes here fella's that need maintaining.

Each individual part gets cleaned appropriately and re greased/lubed etc and put back together. Can give a detailed process later if you or others want about what I do to specific components.
It would be great if you would be able to give me a detailed proccess of your cleaning habits.
But only if it isnt to much hassle

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
It would be great if you would be able to give me a detailed proccess of your cleaning habits.
But only if it isnt to much hassle

I've edited my first post. Generally i do it over a couple of nights in the shed with the tv on and the beer (lot's of it) cold, it's great fun. There is more to it than what I've written above but right now I can't be bothered detailing every little thing I do, people would get the drift haha

You can spend as little or as long on cleaning your bike as you want. In the long run, better maintenance will require less parts to be replaced so soon and a higher resale value than something that you just 'let turn to shit'.

A simple drivetrain clean/re lube is all that's needed most of the time tho, and can be done with the bike still assembled.

Last edited: