Great Dividing Trail - Daylesford to Castlemaine

fergo

Likes Dirt
I rode from Vaughan Springs to The Chocolate Mill past Mt Franklin on April 28 after Melb had over 80mm rain the Tuesday before and Lysterfield and the Youies were closed. We saw a few trees down over the track and the bushes were creeping onto the track. I only saw 1 puddle and my legs were dirty from the dust, not mud.

I also redid the ride on 2nd June ie last sat, after the rain we had last weekend and had to avoid 2 puddles in the 22km each way trip I did. The fallen trees were removed and a complete section of single track was cleared back. The dust had settled and we had a blast. The puddles were on the fire roads and easily avoided.

The 17 other riders with me loved riding in dry conditions and the variety of terrain was amazing.

THANKS TO THE TRAIL VOLUNTEERS/WORKERS FOR THEIR EFFORTS.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
It is awesome in the dry, highly recommend riding from Castlemaine to Vaughn springs and back. The chocolate mill side i did not enjoy as much.. maybe the final descent into Castlemaine on the return journey won me over :) seriously fun trail

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
The best part is from Fanklin to Castlemaine. I haven't done the Dalesford end in years because It wasn't that great. Just start at the chocolate mill. It's better in that direction to. Between Franklin and Vaugn is my favorite. I'm always wishing for more singletrack like that. If you need a guide it's worth getting in touch with the local club Castlemaine Rocky Riders. Many of the locals would be happy to take you out. Also if you don't want to do a car shuttle you can do an all on dirt loop out from C'maine in about 5 hrs. You'll need some local knowledge to do it with maximum single track however.

Stons

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the update Fergo... Planning to ride from the Chocolate Mill to Castlemaine and back this weekend. I think that should end up being about an 80km round trip. Will post a report once I return.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the update Fergo... Planning to ride from the Chocolate Mill to Castlemaine and back this weekend. I think that should end up being about an 80km round trip. Will post a report once I return.
You can actually start at the Hepburn Springs Mineral Park and add 5km each way of mostly singletrack. It starts at the far end of the carpark and meets at the Choc Mill.

Stons

Likes Dirt
You can actually start at the Hepburn Springs Mineral Park and add 5km each way of mostly singletrack. It starts at the far end of the carpark and meets at the Choc Mill.
I have done that previously but would like to make to Castlemaine and back this time :)

Espresso_

Likes Dirt
Hi all

I'm planning to do this ride with some friends couple of weekends from now.

We're all of reasonable fitness, and regular (not fast) road cyclists, but we are all newcomers to mountain biking.

Having read this thread, our plan is to start from the Chocolate Mill and ride to Castlemaine, where we will stay overnight.

Some questions:
1) How long do you think it will take us, given our experience/fitness?
2) Are there any natural points we could stop for a rest along the way, and get some drinking water etc? (Do you have to leave the trail to get to Vaughn?)
3) Are there sections of the trail that cannot be ridden, or are extremely hilly?

Any other tips for first-timers welcomed!

Thanks

E

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Hi all

I'm planning to do this ride with some friends couple of weekends from now.

We're all of reasonable fitness, and regular (not fast) road cyclists, but we are all newcomers to mountain biking.

Having read this thread, our plan is to start from the Chocolate Mill and ride to Castlemaine, where we will stay overnight.

Some questions:
1) How long do you think it will take us, given our experience/fitness?
2) Are there any natural points we could stop for a rest along the way, and get some drinking water etc? (Do you have to leave the trail to get to Vaughn?)
3) Are there sections of the trail that cannot be ridden, or are extremely hilly?

Any other tips for first-timers welcomed!

Thanks

E
1: 3 to 5 hours.
2: There are heaps of places to stop and rest but water is only available at vaugn springs and frierstown . 2l camelback and 2 bidons will get you through. There is bicycle detour for the last 2 Km to vaugn.
3: Yes and yes. There are some sections that most will walk but good technical riders will clear and there are some trees down which requires walking around but no long hike a bike sections. expect many short pinch climbs.

Espresso_

Likes Dirt
Just wanted to give an update.

I did this ride yesterday with three others, on the stretch from the Chocolate Mill to Castlemaine (approx 40-45km). It took us close to 5 hours, including a 30 min lunch stop in Vaughn and 3 longish stops to fix technical issues with our bikes at various points.

1) its extremely well signposted now and much of the signage appears to be recent. No other form additional navigational advice is necessary, including to discern between the alternative route for cyclists and walkers (at least on the section I did). Things have obviously moved on from when this thread was started in this respect.

2) I found this ride quite difficult as a recent convert to mountain biking - I would not class it as beginner-friendly. There were probably 10 sections which were too steep to ride (the advanced rider in our party rode up every one of them, mind you). The issue is not the gradient in most cases, but the ability to pick out the best line and maintain traction on the very rocky, loose surfaces. Generally, the rocks were the main things making this trail difficult - on the downward slopes, the large navel-orange-size rocks were a little off-putting, but didn't actually stop us at all. Technical skills, rather than fitness, is required for these rocky up and down sections.

3) the trail seemed to handle this week's incessant rains pretty well. There were a few puddles here and there, but nothing too serious - drainage appears to be a plus point on this route.

The trail is flowing and swift in parts, and although I don't have a lot of MTB experience, these sections were the most enjoyable mountain biking I've done so far. The scenery is very pretty too, and the last aquaduct section into Castlemaine is pretty fun. There are very few "technical" parts to the trail in terms of drops etc - the bits that are rideable are generally flat (albeit often rocky).

In all, its a great trail, and if you don't mind hiking your bike up some very steep rocky slopes its a great day out.

E

ADD

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the update Espresso. I was wondering if this trail would be 'dad friendly'. My dad wants to do this ride with me and I'm seriously a lot fitter than him. 5.5hrs sounds alright. He's had 2 minor heart attacks but is almost off all of his meds so he's getting there.

djslow

Likes Bikes
I was wondering if this trail would be 'dad friendly'. My dad wants to do this ride with me and I'm seriously a lot fitter than him. 5.5hrs sounds alright. He's had 2 minor heart attacks but is almost off all of his meds so he's getting there.
While it is great to hear that your dad is almost off his meds post minor heart attacks take care as this trail is a considerable undertaking. We did it as part of a 3 day GDT ride from Ballarat to Bendigo and there are long periods where you are a considerable distance from help if stuff happens. Phone coverage is sporadic. I would recommend going with at least 3 people just in case.

Take lots of water as there isn't any on the trail, and also spare parts.

Yes there lots of trail markers but if you miss one - as we did on several occasions because they were hidden in the undergrowth - a map and GPS can help you get back on track.

Great Trail and the Daylsford to Castlemaine section is the best.

Espresso_

Likes Dirt
While it is great to hear that your dad is almost off his meds post minor heart attacks take care as this trail is a considerable undertaking. We did it as part of a 3 day GDT ride from Ballarat to Bendigo and there are long periods where you are a considerable distance from help if stuff happens. Phone coverage is sporadic. I would recommend going with at least 3 people just in case.

Take lots of water as there isn't any on the trail, and also spare parts.

Yes there lots of trail markers but if you miss one - as we did on several occasions because they were hidden in the undergrowth - a map and GPS can help you get back on track.

Great Trail and the Daylsford to Castlemaine section is the best.
Mmmm - I agree. I wouldn't take your dad on this if it were me.

Although on navigation, I find it hard to see how you can get lost. The signs on the trail appear new, and they're pretty good.

Maybe I was moving so slowly that it was harder for me to miss the signs :)

E

Old C

Likes Bikes
If you go from Hepburn Springs rather than Daylesford, you miss some boring bits. It is still 50ks to Castlemain, we did it with 3 hours riding time. Your Dad will be fine, as you can take it at any speed. There are only a couple of steep bits, but they are easy to walk, as the surface is predictable.

Don't expect a flowing forrest single track, as the majority is fire access road, and some bitumen. This is probably where people get lost, as they are expecting a bike track, not a road in some situations. The single track that is there is great, but most of the ride is the social aspect of riding two abreast and talking about bikes, beer and broads.

A good start to an MTB career, as there is nothing that will scare you, and the ride is long enough to make you feel it.

Take care when getting changed at Hepburn Springs for the ride, as the ladies that bat for the other side are a little angry about men.

HIFI2009

Likes Bikes
Well put Old C. There are certainly some beautiful pieces of singletrack but definitely lots of fire trail, "normal" tracks and bitumen. But the highlight is riding two abreast talking rubbish for three days. One of the best things I've ever done with regards to biking.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Ballarat to daylesford

Thinking about doing ballarat to daylesford this weekend. Can anyone give me an estimate of ride time?

djslow

Likes Bikes
Thinking about doing ballarat to daylesford this weekend. Can anyone give me an estimate of ride time?
It is about 80km. There is a bit of fire rd, single track, quite a bit of up and down and some navigation. Add in a lunch stop and few snack breaks and travel time becomes an elastic concept. If you have a mechanical... We took a fairly relaxed pace, took several breaks, had no mechanicals and were carrying packs (we were going all the way to Bendigo). Ballarat - Daylesford took about 8 hours.

Could easily be done in less, could easily take longer.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that. Obviously takes a lot more planning than I anticipated. Fortunately, didn't attempt it that weekend but will plan for it in the future.

mith_03

Squid
Hi all,

First post as I've come across this site whilst researching the Dry Diggings track and there is some great information here.

I'm doing the ride soon from Daylesford to Castlemaine and was curious as to how the tracks compare to Lysterfield Park?

I did 30kms today at Lysterfield (Commonwealth games, hug, blair witch, redgum, etc) and am pretty exhausted.

Is the ride significantly easier than the tracks at Lysterfield?

Thanks.