NSW GreenValleys Freeride Park - the approval process.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crunch Time

This is a big moment for Nick and GV. There has been plenty of time, resources and money (and frustration) put into developing the submission and gathering support for the park over the last 12 months.

On behalf of Nick, thanks to all of the people on Rotorburn, Facebook, and the GV Website for the support shown. It really helps him with his efforts in getting it this far.

As Nick says, if it does get approved it will be an interesting place. Building the practice features has given us good insight into what works at this park and what needs to be done to make it sustainable.

jrewing

Eats Squid
It will suceed cos-

God is on our side...i spoke to him this morning.

He had ham and eggs for brekky so is in a particularly good mood.

If you ever want to know why mountain biking is behind the 8 ball in this NSW - go get a trail in your local area approved for legal public use...

Answer from today... I have been given a solution to allow a mtb facility to go ahead.. so thats a start.. but i cant give you any answers till the Shellharbour LEP has been approved by dept of state planning NSW.. so in 6 months i'll get back on this thread...

I'm so over it ....

BigRedJeep

Likes Bikes
Keep up the good work and know that we all really appreciate it :D Atleast it's another step in the right direction and your not moving backwards ;)

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Positive Outlook

It is pretty clear that the ongoing work to get a legal park established in the Illawarra region has taken its toll on Nick and that the 2 years plus that this has been going on, as Nick says, is why mountain biking is falling behind in Australia and NSW. Keep your chin up buddy, the finish line is just after this next rock Garden. :D

However, this should not take away that yesterday was a big positive for the Greenvalleys proposal. The Shellharbour planning staff are now in favour of the proposal and believe that in principle it is a good proposal for the region. The Dept of Planning were very positive about the park and had a number of suggestions to allow it to move forward in parallel with the finalisation of the Shellharbour LEP. The RTA, local chambers of commerce and local business are all on board.

Greenvalleys has been given a mechanism which now allows the park to progress a DA and get it ready for submission. The catch is that the planning instrument to allow the proposal to be approved will not be in place until the new LEP is gazzetted. This means that it will be at least October, more likely December before any DA can be on public exhibition (remember council elections are being held Sept, and Shellharbour is under administrations, so this will affect things as well).

The Greenvalleys team have a lot of work to do in planning the layout of the park, developing the submissions, developing infrastructure plans and fulfilling the RTA requirements for a permanent entry. This will take some time to do and so the time in waiting for approval will not be lost. Somewhere in this time there will also be a requirement to consult with riders with above average skill (ie more that the GV team) to allow the planning for high quailty A lines and features to be done.

There are a lot of GV followers around, so please keep an eye on the GV facebook and web site. These will be undergoing some changes soon to reflect the overall encompasing nature of the park rather than just freeride. The aim of the GV team is to make sure the park can provide a level of enjoyment for all riders of all skill levels of most MTB disciplines.

isaac h

Likes Bikes
sounds sick.
some mates and i are willing to trail build and will deffinatley join Wollongong MTB club if this park is up.
when will the park be finished? anything around the date?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Exciting times! Great work guys, and thanks so much for putting all the time, effort, blood, sweat & tears into it!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I hear rumours OF FMBA tour action around this area, can anyone (looking at you nick) confirm this?!

I hear rumours OF FMBA tour action around this area, can anyone (looking at you nick) confirm this?!

confirm those rumours..

Kona Slopestyle Australia..

but i cant give you the date.. its a work in progress right now.. The freeride community around the sydney area WILL have the chance to be involved in the construction of the course starting in feb next year. I'll release more details about this in Jan..

Nick

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
confirm those rumours..

Kona Slopestyle Australia..

but i cant give you the date.. its a work in progress right now.. The freeride community around the sydney area WILL have the chance to be involved in the construction of the course starting in feb next year. I'll release more details about this in Jan..

Nick
Congrads are in order then! nice work :)

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Wow so much progress since I last checked in Nick. Huge well done, the park is looking sweet. I'll start keeping an eye on the Trail Log thread to see if I can lend a hand some time.