GST threshold for imports to be lowered

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm considering the full suspension Stanton from the UK so that's going to sting!
You might be able to wipe the VAT of the pricing though, which can be in the region of 20%.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a bike from NZ late last year. GST and duty were payable, got a call from Toll or whoever was handling the freight once it landed at customs. Roughly 15% all up from memory.
How late last year? The 5% tarif was lifted at the end of the year

I'm considering the full suspension Stanton from the UK so that's going to sting!
There shouldn't be any duty on bikes coming from the UK.

John U

MTB Precision
If over $1,000 then same charges as pre gst changes then. You’d be pinged on most new frame purchases pre and post changes. Go for it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
About to do the same - frame set from the US. $515 for the frame and 190 shipping is about 970 AUD at present. Even + 15% is cheaper than the local distributor who was unhelpful and wanted me to wait many months for a sea fright order they would process until they felt like it anyway...

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Stanton frame delivered from UK is 2222 pounds so about $4KAUD......then whatever taxes and fees on top when it lands. Not looking like a great option.....especially when I don't keep bikes for long.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
About to do the same - frame set from the US. $515 for the frame and 190 shipping is about 970 AUD at present. Even + 15% is cheaper than the local distributor who was unhelpful and wanted me to wait many months for a sea fright order they would process until they felt like it anyway...
Surly?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Dunno if anyone has noticed this yet, but alas Bike24 is the latest to capitulate to our big and scary government. I did a couple of orders late last year and no EU VAT and no other taxes.

But just went to compare hub pricing, and alas they now add a 10% VAT when shipping to Australia :(

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno if anyone has noticed this yet, but alas Bike24 is the latest to capitulate to our big and scary government. I did a couple of orders late last year and no EU VAT and no other taxes.

But just went to compare hub pricing, and alas they now add a 10% VAT when shipping to Australia :(
They have been doing that since July last year ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ah, looks like I'm totally on the ball then! :oops:
Their pricing is crap now too, when you change from VAT (20%) to GST (10%) you save ~5% then add the geoblocking cherry on top.
Not surprising as they are now owned by Wiggle-CRC.