GST threshold for imports to be lowered

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Maybe they've dropped their prices a bit to compensate for the GST to ensure they're still competitive and don't lose sales? Having the duty and GST included up front is good - you know exactly what you're going to pay for it at your front door. Duty should really be 0% with all the FTAs we're supposed to have, particularly with the Poms - we've just handed them $35b for nine boats, a few bike parts in return isn't much of an ask.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The note about duty from CRC kinda means it's a free-for-all now with an order of any amount. Bikes, Shimano Dura-ace groupsets.....Tacx Neo trainer was $1800 + GST and duty, now it's $1700 with GST and duty apparently included.,...
This is an interesting comment, as I often buy my frames and forks here due to the 1000aud threshold. Now there is less incentive for me to do this especially if the costs are similar, magnified by the issues of not being able to get the frame size / colour I want locally (curse you XL sizing), without a 3month+ wait locally.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is an interesting comment, as I often buy my frames and forks here due to the 1000aud threshold. Now there is less incentive for me to do this especially if the costs are similar, magnified by the issues of not being able to get the frame size / colour I want locally (curse you XL sizing), without a 3month+ wait locally.
You know limb shortening surgery isn't that expensive. After recovery you would have a lot more options.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
You know limb shortening surgery isn't that expensive. After recovery you would have a lot more options.
My inseam is 102cm, they are going to have to take a lot of leg off to make a difference.

Its has been pondered many times on long car drives with my legs jammed under a steering wheel, or worse, plane travel.

One bonus at least is bike sizing has become quite reasonable for tall statured peeps in the last few years.

LPG

likes thicc birds
You wonder if it would be worth any sellers time to have multiple entities under one umbrella/website to keep under the 75k. Chain Reaction tyres, CR group sets, CR suspension etc. (or just locations so mixed orders aren't questioned). Probably wouldn't be too much of a challenge to set up considering these businesses aren't registered in Au and the australian gov probably doesn't have full access to business details. Might see it happen with the medium size sellers that might be a bit easier to get under the radar than CR or similar

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For big retailers like CRC and wiggle it wouldn't be worth the effort. Their take home from Australia is millions...many of them. Remember a few years ago when wiggle were relatively new to Australia? They were so deeply invested they set up an Australian customer service centre so that inquiries and returns and warranty didn't need to go all the way home before it was resolved.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
And your vibe on said brew?
It is pretty good. I find though that the taste varies greatly depending where it is brewed and bottled. Asahi can come from Thailand, Japan or China (probably others too). For that reason I prefer the cans because they are ex Nihon.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
CRC / Wiggle etc. already know they going to sell more than $75k worth of product to us, so they've already kowtowed to Canberra and registered for the GST. The Germans won't give a schiesse until customs do some data collection and realise they've exceeded $75k and send them a firm letter (assuming they do exceed the limit). And even then, I wonder how they'll respond - stop shipping here altogether or get on board is my guess, hopefully the latter.

So... I reckon it's still game on with buying from them GST free for the time being, until we collectively ring up $75k with each of them.
They must be well over already, I built 2 bikes in the last year and ordered all my own gear from ZeGe's, total must be 4-5k from bike24 and 3k from the others, bikecomponents, hibike and bike-discount.

ozzybmx

The note about duty from CRC kinda means it's a free-for-all now with an order of any amount. Bikes, Shimano Dura-ace groupsets.....Tacx Neo trainer was $1800 + GST and duty, now it's $1700 with GST and duty apparently included.,...
Interesting, didn't actually think of it that way... wonder if they will let packages from GST reg'd companies through, regardless of the price.

Who wants to test that theory with a 1k+ tax time splurge.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
slight tangent...anyone not able to login into crc post server downtime last night when they implemented this chunting tax??
i get:

Server Error
An error has occurred on the server. Your request could not be processed.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

...der fuck?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is pretty good. I find though that the taste varies greatly depending where it is brewed and bottled. Asahi can come from Thailand, Japan or China (probably others too). For that reason I prefer the cans because they are ex Nihon.
The stuff we are selling claims Japan made. I thought some of their more common stuff was being brewed here as well, under licence.

slight tangent...anyone not able to login into crc post server downtime last night when they implemented this chunting tax??
i get:

Server Error
An error has occurred on the server. Your request could not be processed.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

...der fuck?
The filthy cunts had the nerve to send me an email almost as soon as they punted me off the site saying "you still have items in your cart..." fuck off jerks!

Flow-Rider

Burner
The stuff we are selling claims Japan made. I thought some of their more common stuff was being brewed here as well, under licence.

The filthy cunts had the nerve to send me an email almost as soon as they punted me off the site saying "you still have items in your cart..." fuck off jerks!
Is the stuff you were going to buy actually more expensive now ?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Given the lack of jurisdiction the ATO has abroad, I’m pretty sure many companies are going to enjoy adding 10% to their prices while never submitting a BAS. Why would they?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Given the lack of jurisdiction the ATO has abroad, I’m pretty sure many companies are going to enjoy adding 10% to their prices while never submitting a BAS. Why would they?
For sure or close down the company, piss off with the money and start all over again with another company.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is the stuff you were going to buy actually more expensive now ?
I refuse to look. It will be a while before I am ready...

There may be something in our various trade agreements that make the relevant laws enforceable across borders.

For sure or close down the company, piss off with the money and start all over again with another company.
Undertaking this sort of action is illegal in Australia (the ATO call it a phoenix). That doesn't stop people trying to do it and unfortunately sometimes they get away with it. It would he interesting to see how this played out if an overseas retailer was caught doing such a thing.

ozzybmx

Gotta wonder if the companies not reg'd for GST will charge it... just in case, then pocket the extra 10% if nothing eventuates.