GST threshold for imports to be lowered

Flow-Rider

Burner
Gotta wonder if the companies not reg'd for GST will charge it... just in case, then pocket the extra 10% if nothing eventuates.
I refuse to look. It will be a while before I am ready...
There may be something in our various trade agreements that make the relevant laws enforceable across borders.
Undertaking this sort of action is illegal in Australia (the ATO call it a phoenix). That doesn't stop people trying to do it and unfortunately sometimes they get away with it. It would he interesting to see how this played out if an overseas retailer was caught doing such a thing.
Even the dude from customs I know said it will cost more to chase it all up than what it's worth, the division he's in is already under funded, they have limited time and chasing criminals is more important than a GST evader.

Last edited:

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, a few items I've had in my basket, or been looking at, on CRC haven't changed in price.

Although interestingly, when I go to Checkout, there's a little note stating that:
Goods are shipped from the UK. Australian GST has been applied to your order and Australian duty, if applicable, is also included.
But the price is still the same, so it's a nice little note to appease any Aus Govt bean counters stuck with the amazing job of checking websites, but doesn't actually affect my order!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Well, a few items I've had in my basket, or been looking at, on CRC haven't changed in price.

Although interestingly, when I go to Checkout, there's a little note stating that:

But the price is still the same, so it's a nice little note to appease any Aus Govt bean counters stuck with the amazing job of checking websites, but doesn't actually affect my order!
I noticed that also ... though some items have gone up (maybe a coincidence) and some items have stayed the same.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There will be plenty of data gathered at entry and other scannable events en route. They will squeeze the Intel from couriers and customs.
Only a matter of time until we have to swallow bike parts in condoms and sneak through Customs. Scanners and x-rays aren't calibrated for CF, Ti, steel or alloy and should be smooth sailing unless they make bike bits from cocaine and crystal meth.

scblack

Leucocholic
Seriously, how does ATO even know?
The ATO will NEVER really know your sales levels. They never intend to either. The $75k value listed is just a number for entities to register for the GST.

If you want to register for the GST and lodge BAS statements in order to reclaim the GST paid - that has to happen above $75k sales per annum. If you sell below $75k you are not Required to register - but you cannot reclaim GST paid. Below $75k sales, you may register and lodge BAS if you wish.

The $75k is NOT a number the ATO is going to be keeping records of. Its just a value in place "statistically" to need to register for GST.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Not your fault, but it annoys me when people call it the GST. It's a tariff on imports.

Incidentally, if you don't register to pay, but don't collect GST either, what is the enforcement mechanism? Would customs stop your packages at the border?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
How does the GST collection work for small retailers (well below $75k) that sell and freight goods worth more than $1k to Australia now? Is it assumed that GST has already been collected by the small retailer, or is it business as usual with at border charges of GST and Duty ?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How does the GST collection work for small retailers (well below $75k) that sell and freight goods worth more than $1k to Australia now? Is it assumed that GST has already been collected by the small retailer, or is it business as usual with at border charges of GST and Duty ?
Business as usual with the duty. Some companies (CRC, Canyon) deal with the duty for us......

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Has anyone purchased a frame or complete bike from overseas since all these money grabbing rules were changed? I'm considering a frame but don't want to get a nasty customs bill. I'm thinking I'll be hit for the import tax, the GST, a brokerage fee, and who knows what else.

I remember reading a while ago that bikes were exempt.....any truth to this and if it is are they still?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Has anyone purchased a frame or complete bike from overseas since all these money grabbing rules were changed? I'm considering a frame but don't want to get a nasty customs bill. I'm thinking I'll be hit for the import tax, the GST, a brokerage fee, and who knows what else.

I remember reading a while ago that bikes were exempt.....any truth to this and if it is are they still?
Bought a bike from NZ late last year. GST and duty were payable, got a call from Toll or whoever was handling the freight once it landed at customs. Roughly 15% all up from memory.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'm considering the full suspension Stanton from the UK so that's going to sting!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm considering the full suspension Stanton from the UK so that's going to sting!
Seems like you should book tickets, take a hard rubbish find to France, [outside of UK post brexit so no GST], then bring back the Stanton in the same bike bag, after getting in a couple of runs in the Sth’ern alps