GST threshold for imports to be lowered

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I have less of a problem with the source of the revenue and more with how it is used....

Let's not forget that this is about more tax revenue filling the government's coffers.
If you thought my last post was an unhinged rant-fest....then start a topic on this. I'd prolly end up hospitalised when the vessels in my temple finally burst through!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
In my experience in North America the state and /or federal sales taxes are almost never quoted in the display price.
(I have lived and worked in the US and Canada for extended periods)
Just sayin....

I'll give you that.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm not trying to attack Nerfherder or any other good, consciencious distro specifically.

But recent attempts to communicate with more than one importer regarding a new bike purchase were frustrating to say the least. (another story)

For the record, I have a healthy, active MTB Direct account (and sometimes Pushys).... and I buy tyres, sealant, knee pads and wheel truing from my LBS.

So I'm not going to hell yet?

No, all good. I have had similar F#$%#$king frustrating interactions with distros, where they may have tried to fuck me over re price or bad/non-existent service, and were usually of particular note because of their absolute lack of fucks given.

I only support certain local businesses because they have continued to provide a reasonable price on certain things I want, and have provided good service.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
No, all good. I have had similar F#$%#$king frustrating interactions with distros, where they may have tried to fuck me over re price or bad/non-existent service, and were usually of particular note because of their absolute lack of fucks given.

I only support certain local businesses because they have continued to provide a reasonable price on certain things I want, and have provided good service.
Yeah, for sure. Despite my disillusionment with the whole manufacturer - distro - retailer model, I am still happy to pay a fair price for GOOD service no matter how it exists. And I do want businesses to make a profit - just not a greedy profit!

My bigger gripe (maybe not explained accurately in previous rant) is that the GST level changes had come about because of manipulation of the free market glibal model.

By that I mean because Australian distos & retailers were/are getting beat-up by faster, better, cheaper overseas competitors they had a big sooky cry to their local MP's and knifing lobby groups (Small Business Council etc etc) to have the rules moved so they can 'compete'.
I'm sorry but that's the horse shit I referred to earlier. If the game gets tougher and you previously had easy margins and your business model kinda took care of itself... well guess what? Get better at it. Don't whinge & lobby the Gummint to put up a fence to protect your fat arses.

If anyone here thinks these changes are a fair & reasonable amendment to "level the playing field" for the poor Aussie importers & retailers....may I suggest you wipe your rose coloured glasses.... IMO this is businesses unfairly manipulating public policy.

(Trying so hard not to rant my face off & stay neutral. Haven’t been on the bike for over a month, little bit of spare energy at the moment. .. does it show?)

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
noticed something new in my wiggle shopping cart checkout page this morning...

GST AU $0.00

...looks like theyre ready to implement the new changes.

So disappointing that they will just roll over.
Not sure they have a choice to not charge the tax due to reciprocal tax agreements between countries.

Only choice they have is to not supply to Aust, perhaps a bigger bummer ?

I guess they weigh up the lost sales compared to the hassle of calculating and remitting the tax.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It would have been interesting to see who actually triggered the implementation of the new laws, it's normally big business that has all the pull in this country, like Toyota crying about the Japanese imports years ago but this government is as transparent as a hooker's income. It's funny how people cry when they have to deal in a global market but don't give a rat's arse about all the other industries that have been destroyed by cheap imports. If it wasn't for these overseas online stores, businesses here would have been gouging the fuck out of everything just like they did in the 70's & 80's.

I don't have a problem with the principles that a GST is based on. At the introduction of the GST Australia had (still has) an inequitable tax system, the GST attempted to improve that imbalance in part.

Earn more = Pay more, I'm fine with that.

Consume more = Pay more, I'm fine with that as well as long as the balance of non- GSTable and GSTable goods and services is balanced fairly so not to penalize those on lower incomes ie food staples, power bills etc (could be argued that this balance right now isn't optimum)

Mountain Bike components are luxury products in the great scheme of things, paying GST on the purchase seems ok to me, I'll pay it but use the tax efficiently, and piss off negative gearing and the other gross inequities in the system (insert comment about Kerry Packer bragging about how little tax he paid).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not sure they have a choice to not charge the tax due to reciprocal tax agreements between countries.
I'm not up to date with any tax agreements between Australia and Britain/England (or EU, USA, and so on), but I'm very sure that Wiggle and other overseas retailers don't want to miss out on the Australian market. Remembering back to when wiggle made a strong push to penetrate here there was many news articles about how much we were spending on bike parts etc from over seas. Wiggle and lots of other retail giants have invested heavily here, they wouldn't be giving up in a hurry.

When this new gst argument began there was many more sizeable figures printed about how much we were spending overseas. Sure Turnbull and Morrison might be bragging about the tax cuts he intends to roll out for us, but they'll be recouping that and more through expansion of the gst. This is an attack on the free market principles that the liberal party supposedly stands for. They may as well have called it a 10% tariff. I wonder how that would've gone down with purchases from Alibaba, eBay, or any other e-commerce organisation based in a country that we now have a free trade agreement with?

I don't have a problem with the principles that a GST is based on.
I'm not against a gst either, domestically. It picks up a bunch of extra revenue from sources that never would've been taxed (like pensioners, tourists, and those doing cash work) and facilitated a moderate modernisation of our disorganised system that existed prior. It also gave so many businesses the opportunity to be tax collectors...who doesn't want that joy? It isn't an equitable tax though. Thank fuck cakes are easy to work out!

I feel that if this is going to happen, which it is, having the processing done off shore is a missed opportunity to create jobs domestically. Whether those jobs are a government agency or outsourced to private firms would be irrelevant. Somewhere in this process there will be additional work required. With our (apparently) sensitive economy this might not have been a bad idea.

I'm also curious to see if retailers (like wiggle) will bump prices up a little to cover their increased business costs or if they will lower them to help ease consumer pain.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Back to collection

Hi Evil Middle Man

I am contacting you in regards to your recent purchase from Great Britain

Due to the value of your goods being more than $1000 AUD, Australian Customs requires a formal entry to be completed.

Can you please confirm in writing that you would like AMS to complete on your behalf and that you accept $95 processing fee and any duty/GST associated to the entry to be billed to you at cost.

If you would like the declaration lodged under a business name, please confirm full business name and ABN you would like used

To avoid any further delays can you also please send through a copy of your proof of payment receipt and commercial invoice / purchase order at the same time.

Regards,

held_docs@amservices.net.au | Import Operations | ...

Some parts of above edited, but you can see there are already operational processes in place. This was sent via Royal Mail or equivalent, same as used by CRC for tight arse freight ... $95 admin fees is pretty steep but most people will just pay it to get their shizzle and not factor in that it's just another expense the local price prolly already has factored in.

The aim of the current

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Sorry iPad bugged ...

Aim of the current regime is to affect sticker price ... meh ... should be purely about collection

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No updates on this except Evans acting like they don't sell anything anymore.

Can't see anything happening. Someone would have to record how much $ each company actually sends to Australia. Eg, from below, you could just claim ignorance about it for ages...."have you reached $75k - no, ok then"

"ATO spokesperson: When a business reaches the threshold of $75,000 in sales to consumers in Australia 12 month period, they must register for GST within 21 days and apply GST to sales from the date they were required to be registered."

From this:
https://www.bicycles.net.au/2018/05...n-cyclists-bike-shops-and-overseas-retailers/

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Made what I sadly believe will be my last under $1000 gst free order just the other day. I am not expecting it to be in my hands before 1/7/18 so will be curious if they hold it up en route.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Made what I sadly believe will be my last under $1000 gst free order just the other day. I am not expecting it to be in my hands before 1/7/18 so will be curious if they hold it up en route.
Same here, did a 'non geoblocked' HiBike order between 3 of us on the 17/6... whole order was delayed by 9 days because of a $3 set of jagwire cables. The complete order was consumables only, chains, pads, lube, sealant, cables, grips, bar tape ect at approx $900, got the 'packed' email yesterday, still no tracking so it will be cruising through customs probably around 3-5th July, interesting to see what happens with it.

I did say to my 2 mates that we might be up for some extra charges, they were all good with it on the chance it might happen.

There's 14 x $11 Sram chains in there https://www.hibike.com/sram-pc-1110...l-powerlock-pd5c814e070439fa622b662280da31c09

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Expect to pay 10% of the value of your order in GST.