XC GT Helion 29er (Converted from 27.5)

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
5 (1077 x 808).jpg
cust.jpg

Frame - GT Helion Expert
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch RT3 with offset bushings - lowered the BB and slackened the headtube angle
Front shock/fork - Fox34 Performance Elite, Fit4, Boost, 110mm travel
Handlebars - 740mm
Stem - 60mm
Headset - Yes
Grips - GT - (will change for Odi Elite Motion lock-on grips)
Saddle - Trek - (will probably change for lighter SDG Bel Air 2.0 saddle)
Seatpost - Giant Switch 100mm - ( will change for 125mm KS Lev integra)
Front brake - Shimano 180mm
Rear brake - Shimano 180mm
Cranks - Truvativ Stylo
Chainguide - No - (N/W oval 32t chainring helps chain retention)
Chain - KMC 10spd
Pedals - DMR V12 Magnesium
Front derailleur - No
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT with one components cage adapter
Front shifter - No
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX
Cassette - Shimano 10spd with 42 and 16 t adapter rings
Front hub - Hope Pro2 Evo with Boost adapter
Rear hub - Shimano XT
Front rim - e13trs+ 29mm internal width
Rear rim - e13trs+ 29mm internal width
Spokes - DT Swiss competition
Nipples - DT Swiss
Tyres - (F) Specialized Purgatory 2.35, (R) Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25
Tubes - Tubeless
Total weight - 13.5kg currently - (should be around 13.25kg finished or 13kg flat with my lighter 29er race wheelset)

Last edited:

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
IMO the Helion 29er is a better ride than in 27.5 configuration.
GT's specifications show that they used the same frame for both their 27.5 and 29er Helions - they just fitted a 100mm 29er fork and 29er wheelset to change.
My bike is different in that I am using a 110mm fork and a frame with offset shock bushings to lower the BB height and slacken the headtube angle.
The original Helion 27.5 had mostly good reviews except for the cabling which I fixed by removing the front derailleur and rerouting the remaining cables.
I wanted a bike that handled well and was easy to ride - feels almost like I am cheating with this bike as it is quite easy to ride.
I wanted something that didn't get caught in ruts - 29er wheels roll through them better.
I also have a Specialized Camber 29er which I will sell as the 29er Helion is better.
The Helion can handle jumps and is easy to pop in the air, even though I'm not into airtime anymore as crashing hurts and staying on terra firma is just fine as I get older.
It climbs like a mountain goat, possibly due to GT's AOS suspension - goes up terrain I used to have to get off and walk over.
It also has most of its weight situated down low which I feel assists with more confident handling.

Last edited: