XC GT XCR5000

link1896

Mr Greenfield
DT Swiss XMM (or EXM, won’t know till I pull apart) forks found cheap. Rebound knob is not doing anything.

No parts. No diagrams. SFA online about them, one thread on MTBR. Hence the price of 40 bucks

Reviews seem positive, super lush, way stiffer then any other 32mm fork. Time will tell

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Fuck it. Some clown has used loctite in the lower bolts. My impact torx no27 bit failed at 39Nm. Yes, aware these are a clockwise turn. Bolt heads were stripped on arrival

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
You might be able to carefully fuse a welding rod to end of it and then slide hammer it out or get a rotary burr and take the top off enough to drill the head of the bolt off.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
cobalt bits made short work of the impact bit. bigger issue is the treads are completely munted in lowers. going to require some creativity or they are for the display wall. no tears, cost me $40 bucks.

Flow-Rider

Burner
cobalt bits made short work of the impact bit. bigger issue is the treads are completely munted in lowers. going to require some creativity or they are for the display wall. no tears, cost me $40 bucks.
There's no way that was a quality impact bit, cobalt bits don't usually touch them.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That was a kinchrome impact bit. I’ve a few impact bits with test holes in them now out of curiosity.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Hmm challenge accepted DT. They sure didn’t want anyone outside of an authorised service centre playing. I’d suggest this is part of the commercial failure of the product range.

“What, DT Swiss makes forks?”

Actually they acquired Pace Suspension, but the joke still stands.

This photo is the top of the damper cartridge.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That was a kinchrome impact bit. I’ve a few impact bits with test holes in them now out of curiosity.
I've got a complete snapon set of CB bits for their easyouts and they've struggled to drill through broken allan keys. I'll have to try them on some other stuff when I got a chance but even some of the hardened studs I've drilled out you need to resharpen quite often.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Top cap tool 1/2 complete. Top cap dimensions are imperial, so I need to make some pins to suit, and drill the tool in the mill with the rotary table. Getting all six pins equally spaced, that is the challenge

The designer of this top cap intentionally made it challenging. Pins need to be on the very edge of the tool.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep. Challenge is the damper rod coupler that joins it to the lowers.

Damper Rod is 8mm od, ID is going to be silly with a ridiculous fine pitch if the air rod is anything to go by.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Victory is almost mine.

Coupler is off the damper rod. Machined the roughness out of what was left of the hex hole.

M8 bolt with some of the thread removed, super loctited and pinned is the answer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I like the dremel wheel to split the bush to make a clamp. Will be stealing that one.

You reckon you will get enough bite?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Bite with the shaft clamps? Yep, not one hint of spinning or marring of the shaft surface.

The coupler that will end up pinned, quietly confident.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Change of tact with the busted foot couplers. Mate told me about braising aluminium together with great results.

Here’s a sample video from the manufacturer, Simple Welding Solutions. The silly knobs have marketed braising aluminium as welding. Regardless, makes joins stronger then the base materials.

Changes how I will tackle a bunch of projects now.