XC GT XCR5000

link1896

Mr Greenfield
First practise run at stripping paint off. Tried sand blasting, paint is too tough, would have taken 10kg of grit to strip the rear triangle.

Chemical Paint stripper works, but this is after two applications. Going to be a big effort.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had luck stripping a frame with an automotive paint stripper from supercheap and a power washer.. More powerful the washer the quicker you go..

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
First practise run at stripping paint off. Tried sand blasting, paint is too tough, would have taken 10kg of grit to strip the rear triangle.

Chemical Paint stripper works, but this is after two applications. Going to be a big effort.

Had the same experience stripping my old frame. Some bits cleaned up easy, but some of it was an absolute bastard.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep, the karcher is going to get a work out. Today’s effort was with a garden hose, it quickly dawned on my a scraping tool sucked

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Do know the tricks of keeping the stripper wet so it works for longer? I wrapped the stubborn bits in glad wrap after applying the stripper.
I do how. Redbruce told me about this trick yesterday.

Will have another go today

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you're using that gel type stripper give it two coats, the first coat usually gets sucked into the paint and do it in a cool spot where it doesn't dry up so quick. I'm not too sure if leaving paint stripper on an alloy frame for a long period of time is a good idea. I've done a few steel frames and I've used a wire brush with gloves as the stripper softens the paint enough for it to come off easy. It's a lot easier for the paint stripper to work once the paint has breaks in it so it can get under the paint to lift it.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you're using that gel type stripper give it two coats, the first coat usually gets sucked into the paint and do it in a cool spot where it doesn't dry up so quick. I'm not too sure if leaving paint stripper on an alloy from for a long period of time is a good idea. I've done a few steel frames and I've used a wire brush with gloves as the stripper softens the paint enough for it to come off easy. It's a lot easier for the paint stripper to work once the paint has breaks in it so it can get under the paint to lift it.
Indeed I’ve read elsewhere leaving methylene chloride in contact with aluminium for too long is unwise.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep a buff with some metal polish and it will look great. You did well with all the protection, I coped a few burns with stripper splatter.. Takes some time before you notice it’s eating your flesh..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep a buff with some metal polish and it will look great. You did well with all the protection, I coped a few burns with stripper splatter.. Takes some time before you notice it’s eating your flesh..
Generally start to feel just after it becomes really hard to wash off in my experience! Horrid stuff but very effective...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And another tool is required to work on the eccentric bottom bracket.

Need a tool to locate into the 6 blind holes on the nds