XC GT XCR5000

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Standard rh thread, two dremel bits in the holes and a 1/2” extension bar was all that was needed to spin the ring with a screwdriver up the guts to stop the other half rotating.

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raw does look a lot better then expected. The welds are awesome

I think it'd look fantastic raw. Steel wool and clear coat. Black decals if you're keen. Between this and @Oddjob's raw beast I'm hooked on the idea of building something in raw alloy.

safreek

Third application of paint stripper on the rear triangle. Fuck me the paint on the rear triangle is super tough. Still needs one more go.

How do you get the paint out of the fiddly bits, sandblast, it just patients. When I had a crack at stripping a frame I ended up painting over the little bits that would not wire brush off

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
DT Swiss hubs acquired. Second hand, out of a trashed Enve wheel set. On the hunt for a higher POE ratchet kit now. 18poe can go jump.

WTF DT, decal orientation isn’t a thing?
I thought the dt240's came with the star ratchet which was a good freehub. You need more than one of those? They are dead easy to service.

Decal orientation is important like aligning valve holes to see and read the hub stickers.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
DT Swiss hubs acquired. Second hand, out of a trashed Enve wheel set. On the hunt for a higher POE ratchet kit now. 18poe can go jump.

WTF DT, decal orientation isn’t a thing?

It's spot on. You don't look at the front hub from the back of the bike and vice versa

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Here is the dt240 free hub pulled apart.

Apparently dt special uber free hub grease is the one to use but it you don't have that on hand then thin out a bit of Pedro's with a lighter oil on the twin freehub ratchets and you should be good to go.

No special tools needed. Mine were looking OK and spinning fine. I just cleaned up the bearing races and added fresh grease.

DSC_1888.jpeg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Google image search shows all 240’s run decals like this. Feels odd, I’ll move on.

Mr Crudly, nothing wrong with this ring ratchet apart from it’s an old 18 point of engagement version, I want higher Poe. It’s theoretically a super easy change to make, but inevitable the inner bearing will be shagged, requiring the inner ring be removed. Never easy.

I’ve also thinned out grease for ratchets as I didn’t have the real deal on hand and it’s worked fine.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I think that Roval SP hub you sent me has DT swiss star ratchets inside it. I just counted 36 clicks for a revolution so they are probably the 36t ones. Want me to email them to you? Happy to swap for the 18t ones because the hub is used on a wheelset I use for touring.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I think that Roval SP hub you sent me has DT swiss star ratchets inside it. I just counted 36 clicks for a revolution so they are probably the 36t ones. Want me to email them to you? Happy to swap for the 18t ones because the hub is used on a wheelset I use for touring.
O
Awesome,thanks summit, super generous of you. I’ll pop you a pm.