Guitarists

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
This is a thread for the people who are having any problems with there guitar and especially translating music or want to show off their music. I am sure there will be some amazing players out there. I am not the greatest so I will be asking alot.

Firstly I am having some trouble with the notes for Opportunity by Pete Murray, I have tried ultimate guitar tab but it dosn't sond right. Has anyone played this before or know the chords?

Last edited by a moderator:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
The problem is he plays it with his guitar tuned to F. Most guitars are tuned to E, so when you play it the song will sound a bit off but you may not be able to tell why.
Also checked out the tabs and they are all screwed up.

Start with a G chord. (I'm assuming you know the G) and strum the rhythm of the tune. (count 1, 2, 3, )

Then keep the same chord shape, but on the 4th beat just move your pointer finger down to the second fret on the low E string (fattest string) for one strum.
That's the first bar.

Then, keeping the same shape on the smaller strings (they stay there for the whole verse) make the E minor shape with your other fingers and strum for 1, 2, 3, 4.
(E minor is second fret on both the A and D strings, second and third strings from the fattest)
That's the second Bar.

Repeat this four times

Then, the second half of the verse is identical, but you shift your bass fingers up one string so it looks like a G, but one string up. Repeat this pattern

If this sounds all screwed up maybe it's one of those have to see it kinda things?

Try tuning your guitar up to F (one semitone if you have a tuner) and play along with the CD and it will make a lot more sense.

If you can decipher this and it worked, I'll fill you in on the chorus.

Good luck!

Chords below if it helps

Verse
G, Em, G, Em, C, Am, C, am
G, Em, G, Em, C, Am, C, Am
G, Em, G, Em, C, Am, C, Am, C, Am

Chorus
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C

Verse 2
G, Em, G, Em, C, Am, C, am
G, Em, G, Em, C, Am, C, Am

Chorus 2
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C
G, D, Am, C

Piano Middle 8
(same as Vs)

etc, etc

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
You will need to find a site to host your files, then just provide a link.

Also, post in the "Electric Guitar" thread, its quite active and you'll get more feedback there I imagine:) Look forward to hearing your choons:cool:

tangcla

Likes Dirt
I've finished AMEB 8th grade classical guitar, I guess that isn't the kind of guitarist that this thread is after though...

Matt H

Eats Squid
I've finished AMEB 8th grade classical guitar, I guess that isn't the kind of guitarist that this thread is after though...
Respect.

Gah, someone punch me for losing so much motivation in the world of guitaring. I'm so annoyed with myself.

Bermshot

Banned
Respect.

Gah, someone punch me for losing so much motivation in the world of guitaring. I'm so annoyed with myself.
Did you pick up your game Matty? Check this.
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph81AWiC8ZA[/video]

Last edited:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
This thread might come in handy for me as of now.

I'm trying to grasp the idea of reading and interpreting tabs and all that kind of boring but necessary stuff.

I currently have both an electric and bass guitar and now I need to get to learning actual songs so I can get a proper feel with going up and down the fret board.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Tabs are great 'cos they're an actual representation of the fretboard; each line represents the strings. Just bear in mind that they're essentially inverted; the top line is your highest-pitched string, which on the guitar is the one closest to the ground....

Tabs do lack the accuracy of note timing though, so they're best interpreted in conjunction with traditional notation as long as you can at least understand the note values.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Tabs are great 'cos they're an actual representation of the fretboard; each line represents the strings. Just bear in mind that they're essentially inverted; the top line is your highest-pitched string, which on the guitar is the one closest to the ground....

Tabs do lack the accuracy of note timing though, so they're best interpreted in conjunction with traditional notation as long as you can at least understand the note values.

Yeah that's my basic understanding of tabs, so when I look at it I need to keep that inversion in mind. One thing I struggle with is the numbers, I think from my understanding, a 0 means you hit the note without your hand any part of it, but when you get 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc do you go the correlating number up the fret board? Like if you get a 4 on the thinnest string, do you go up 4 frets and so on? next problem I have, is do you go up from the bottom or the top?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yeah, the numbers are your fret positions, so 0 is open string (not fingered), 1 is 1st fret, etc.
Eg. D chord, tabbed like this:

-2-
-3-
-2-
-0-
---
---

is played with the first (thinnest) & third strings at the 2nd fret, the second string on the 3rd fret, the fourth string is played open, and the two thickest are not touched.

Another tip to remind you of the string/tab relationship is while you're holding the guitar in playing position, flip it so the strings are facing up at you; you then have a direct correlation with strings & tab lines. :wink:

Last edited:

Luco

Likes Dirt
This thread might come in handy for me as of now.

I'm trying to grasp the idea of reading and interpreting tabs and all that kind of boring but necessary stuff.

I currently have both an electric and bass guitar and now I need to get to learning actual songs so I can get a proper feel with going up and down the fret board.
What is your playing style? Tabs are always a great place to start, but I would also spend time memorising open chord shapes (open being all chords played without barring the fretboard like the D chord Duckmeister displayed) so you don't need to reference a tab chart. Once you get these down pat, learn their barre chord equivalents so you can play Smells Like a Teen Spirit/Smoke on the Water etc!
Definitely get the guitartabs app if you have a tablet device thingy. It is my library of any tab/chord chart for any song, a remarkable resource!

Sorry if you have already done this and this information is useless! Good luck! I love the guitar.!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
One of the best teachers of guitar is transcription. As in, the ability to hear something and be able to notate it. The other (easier) form of that is to hear something, then be able to play it.

Ask any guitar player worth their weight how to play blues (for example), they'll tell you to buy an Albert King record and learn to play it.

As convenient as tabs are, they won't develop much ability to further your playing. So along with learning tabs of your favourite songs, be sure to incorporate lots of 'playing by ear' in your practice time too. The time spent working out what chord is being played is invaluable.

byrdsworth

Likes Bikes
Use tabs in conjunction with your ear ... tabs can be good for a starting point .... then work it out from there .. most tabs online are not quite right anyway

Matt H

Eats Squid
Did you pick up your game Matty? Check this.
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph81AWiC8ZA[/video]
Nope. Living with flatmates and listening to predominantly electronic music has really stifled my interest. I'll get back into one day.

Anyone want to buy my vox AC30?