Gumtree buyers

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the first time I have been selling bike stuff online. Mostly people were pretty good. The bike was on for $1250 and I had the lowballs that would say "650$ CASH", I had the SMS scam "Interested but don't msg me use this email adress instead" and then I had this guy:

------------
Him:
Hello,
No disrespect and without meaning to offend you but just asking the question.
I'd be willing to first offer you $760 cash to take it off your hand n clear up some space Can come over tomorrow and pick it up

Me:
No thanks. I have already had 2 people offer $1000.

Him:
Thanks for your reply Michael..
I can go to $800 and won't fluff u around like most of the Gumballs on this site and promise I will pick up and won't let you down tomorrow morning at 9am
Gav

Me:
Why would I sell it to you for $200 less than I have been offered? I don't get it?

Him:
Cause u will turn with $50's and save you from people's crappy promises

All good MS take the offers and experience the Gumbee no shows after waiting home all day
The stress is al your
Night night

Me:
Thanks?

Him:
(3x thumbs up)
-------------------------

So what other stories have people got?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just make sure you don't include your address like Gumtree seems to include for some people. Last thing you want is the hordes knowing you have bike pr0n and your location.

That 'feature' of Gumtree makes me cringe.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I arranged to pick up an item from a seller who had his address listed. Set the time, drove for about 40min to get there and when I arrived he was a bit confuse because he’d already sold it to ‘me’ about 15min earlier.

Another guy offered to buy a drill and impact driver i was selling. Offered me half what I was asking - normal. Then tried to argue about the RRP etc until he realised I was selling two items together.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Usual crap but did have a strange one where one guy wanted a heap of photos of the head badge of a retro bike, I sent a few and didn't hear from him until the same day that I had sold it to somebody else which was about a month later. He pleaded with me to sell it to him and even offered more money but I told him to go stick it where it fits.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love the guys who are keen to know when you'll be away from the house..."maaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyte iiiiiiiiiii jjjjjj jjjjjj jjjjjj jjjjust wawawawwwaaaaaaaaant taaaaaa giiiiit a logbook aaaaaaaaat yorrrrrrre pushyyyyyyyyu brahhhhh." the gasser drawl is the usual give away.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Sold my partners car a few years ago, a Toyota starlet that was nicely dinged and scratched from the previous owner but reliable. Had someone who was properly interested who made a reasonable offer and organised to meet him the next morning for him to have a look. He called up later aski g if it had power steering. It didnt and this was a dealbreaker to him. The starlet was so light you would have no clue it didn't have power steering but he refused and didn't have any interest once he found that out.

safreek

Had no dramas, all Gumtree deals went well
Have gone to brissie 3 or 4 times too pick up things and the people have always held as agreed.

Mclovin

Likes Bikes
Gumtree really is the Wild Fucking West. The fuckwit offers and abusive messages truly astonish me. Just a bunch of savages.

I recently gave away a huge home made dog house. 'Buyer' came in a hatchback after I explicitly stated that a 6x4 trailer is the minimum required. I spent 2 hours in 40 degree weather helping her pull it to pieces in my driveway. This thing was over engineered. Of course she injured herself many times and subsequently bled all over my hand tools. Smashed the glass I gave her a glass of water in. Left screws and nails on the ground behind my car. Just, fuck. Hate Gumtree with a passion.

teK--

Eats Squid
Will never use Scumtree again.

Tried to sell a pushy not super expensive but the amount of lowball dogshit offers or outright scam attempts was ridiculous.

"Oh hello sir beautiful bike will you sell it to me? But I work on a oil rig and my brother will have to pick it up, can I paypal you the money?" Fuck off! where do you ride a bike on an oil rig??

In the end it was bought by a buy (off Scumtree) who rocked up in a ute and thrust a fistful of cash in my hand faster than he could throw the bike in the back and drive off. Was quite impressive how easy that was in the end.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I was the dodgy seeming bloke a few years back............ My best mate and his wife moved from NSW to QLD almost overnight after getting a mining job. My mate asked me to take some of his stuff out of his shed before their tenants moved in and sell it for him - there was a WR250 dirt bike, a trailer, about 8 mag wheels off falcons, a Zip office water boiler thingo and a few other random things. He signed the rego papers and left them with the gear so I could just fill in the details. I just put everything on Gumtree and eBay.
I had my own dirt bike at the time and my push bikes and didn't want buyers knowing where I lived.
I had a bloke ring about the bike and I asked to meet in a park near my house. When he rocked up he just flat out asked if I'd stolen it. I explained the situation but he didn't believe me. He still bought the bike and said he had no intention of registering it and didn't care if it was stolen - lucky I didn't let him know where I lived I recon.

teK--

Eats Squid
I was the dodgy seeming bloke a few years back............ My best mate and his wife moved from NSW to QLD almost overnight after getting a mining job. My mate asked me to take some of his stuff out of his shed before their tenants moved in and sell it for him - there was a WR250 dirt bike, a trailer, about 8 mag wheels off falcons, a Zip office water boiler thingo and a few other random things. He signed the rego papers and left them with the gear so I could just fill in the details. I just put everything on Gumtree and eBay.
I had my own dirt bike at the time and my push bikes and didn't want buyers knowing where I lived.
I had a bloke ring about the bike and I asked to meet in a park near my house. When he rocked up he just flat out asked if I'd stolen it. I explained the situation but he didn't believe me. He still bought the bike and said he had no intention of registering it and didn't care if it was stolen - lucky I didn't let him know where I lived I recon.
Yeah good move I almost always never meet them near my house it's always a few mins drive away at a servo or something. I just tell em my missus gets agro at randoms coming to the house lol

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I'm that guy too, in the rare instance where I sell something. I would much rather post it than have someone come to the house. Safer and a lot more convenient...post it when it suits you, not wait around for some arsehole that doesn't turn up etc. Anyway if people want to see stuff before buying it I'll meet somewhere like Maccas. Dressed in all black with the items stuffed in a big black duffel bag...if I wasn't so charming in person people wouldn't stick around for the sale.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Last week,
Gummy - "I would like to offer you $400"
Me - OK can do it $400
Gummy - "I meant $325"
Me - Thanks for the offer but the lowest I will go is $400
Gummy - "Just because you know I have $400"
Me - Sorry, just sold it to someone else

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread has made me quite paranoid.

I've just bought my 1st new guitar in ~20 years which is old & unmolested, except for the tuners being swapped out. I have replaced them with more period correct tuners & stuck the others up on the bay. I specified the guitar they had just come off, which is reasonably valuable, in the ad & have immediately got a response from someone who wants to pick up. Thanks to this thread I'm now thinking he's going to work out when I'm not around & pinch the guitar.

Cheers for all the horror stories.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've sold quite a few thing on Gumtree and they always pick it up from my house... lately its been my garage below the house.

I just put the stealable items out of view, expensive power tools ect

Bikes are in their own room beside the garage