Gumtree buyers

teK--

Eats Squid
I just sold the guitar tuners to that guy. Gave him the street number of a townhouse down the road opposite a park. Sat on the park bench & waited for him. He showed up on time, looking every bit the Melbourne muso, was polite & thankful for a good deal.

Now I feel like a bit of a cnut
At least you weren't on the receiving end of "I'll fckn bash ya cnt!"

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone ever tried mailing something to a Gumtree buyer?

I have a bloke keen on some forks but wants them posted. I haven't responded to his email yet but am just wondering if there are any scams out there attached to mealing stuff to buyers on Gumtree.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

I have a bloke keen on some forks but wants them posted. I haven't responded to his email yet but am just wondering if there are any scams out there attached to mealing stuff to buyers on Gumtree.
Same as mailing to anyone, fine once money is in your pocket. I always suggest that the buyer pays for insurance with high priced items.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As long as you aren't posting to an oil rig, Nigeria, or similar and the buyer pays up front without using b-pay you'll be fine. I prefer to post items than try and meet/deliver/collect.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Personally I wouldn't do it for a high value item. Plenty of scams/scammers around, but I figure I can afford to lose an item up to maybe $50, and that a scammer wouldn't bother with such a low value item.

Don't use Paypal, to easy for them to claim they didn't get it, or it was broken etc and get their moeny back and you'll never see the forks again.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
He's already pulled out before I could respond.

That means either he's genuine and already found something else (as he claims) or the scammers watch RB!

Staunch

Eats Squid
Gumtree really is the Wild Fucking West. The fuckwit offers and abusive messages truly astonish me. Just a bunch of savages.

I recently gave away a huge home made dog house. 'Buyer' came in a hatchback after I explicitly stated that a 6x4 trailer is the minimum required. I spent 2 hours in 40 degree weather helping her pull it to pieces in my driveway. This thing was over engineered. Of course she injured herself many times and subsequently bled all over my hand tools. Smashed the glass I gave her a glass of water in. Left screws and nails on the ground behind my car. Just, fuck. Hate Gumtree with a passion.
Should of told them to piss off as soon as they rocked up.

I had a chick try to pull the old 'I haven't received it yet, I want my money back' trick, but after I sent her a 2nd photo of the receipt/tracking number she soon piped down.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I sold a new Reverb to a bloke in Perth, he actually called and had a bit of a chat as he was worried about sending cash to someone through GT. He bank transferred me the money and I sent him the dropper post.

Just stay clear of PayPal if selling... though if buying, PayPal is probably the best way.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've bought and sold tons of shit on Scumtree over the year s and never really had any issues.
I just treat people politely and directly about what I expect. The scams and time wasters are pretty easy to spot.

But, last year I advertised a couple of sets of high quality curtains that we removed from our living room. To have these things ordered and made new would have cost a fortune - they were big thick thermal jobbies.
Anyway, I listed them at $50 per set including all the rails, hooks etc. I thought during a Tasmanian winter $50 bucks for good curtains was a great deal yeah?

After a couple of weeks of limited interest I changed the price to FREE.

Fuck me.
It nearly cooked my phone! Every ten minutes another punter would msg or call saying they were on their way over, and "...please don't give 'em to anyone else..."
It was like I had awoken the Freebie Zombies! There was millions of them and I they just kept coming!
In the end I lost track of who the fuck was who and cancelled the ad. The punters that came and got em were from way outta town so I reckon they drove pretty fast.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought a couple of things on scumtree

PayPal through scumtree states that you have seen the item and picking it up in person. So if u pay via PayPal and get it posted and it goes missing, tough shit, the seller is not responsible at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I sold a new Reverb to a bloke in Perth, he actually called and had a bit of a chat as he was worried about sending cash to someone through GT. He bank transferred me the money and I sent him the dropper post.
You sold someone a Reverb on Gumtree.

I know to look out for you...

mark22

Likes Dirt
Personally I wouldn't do it for a high value item. Plenty of scams/scammers around, but I figure I can afford to lose an item up to maybe $50, and that a scammer wouldn't bother with such a low value item.

Don't use Paypal, to easy for them to claim they didn't get it, or it was broken etc and get their moeny back and you'll never see the forks again.
Too true,
Most of the attempted scammers I have had can only pay via PayPal and and only use email, say the will send a agent/courier to pick the item up which no doubt is some other crook. Then put a claim in with PayPal saying they did not receive the item. It is up to the seller to prove otherwise and PayPal will then reverse the transaction. Well known scam.

No probs sending with bank transfers via post for me so far.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Nigerian Rupees. Easily buys 12 USD for each one.... Helllooo Hope HB160 in 2025
Naira. I grew up there as a missionary kid .
1 naira was roughly 1 Aussie dollar back then.
Now 1 naira gets you 0.37 Aussie cents.
Hella inflation .

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
@born-again-biker is on the money. I have advertised a couple things on gumtree as free pick-up and you get some interesting folk.
My favourite would have to be when I advertised a towbar assembly for a VZ clearly indicating where I was (ACT). In amongst a flood of messages was a guy asked whether I still had it and could he come and get it. After saying it was all his he immediately responded that he was in Sydney at the moment so don’t worry. I also got a query about whether it would fit a VY despite clearly saying in my add that it may fit a VY but I wasn’t sure.
After a thousand messages from different people asking dumb arse questions and generally dicking me around (and nobody actually turning up) I ended up taking it to the dump.
Next time I think I’ll just put a nominal $2 price on things to avoid this saga.

I have had exactly the opposite experience buying on gumtree - have snagged a couple of local bargains with minimal pain.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A mate does bike wrenching and e-bike conversions via a Gummy ad, you haven't heard crazy until you've advertised services on Gummy. One said they had little money, and wanted to make their normal bike into an electric, folding trike.