Guns

demo9pro

Likes Dirt
Im about to get a High-powered rifle next week. Only problem is, I dont know which one?

I know there are a few shooters here so I thought I might ask for some advice.

Its between a .223, 22-250, 243, 308 and a 30-30.

Il be shooting goats and pigs in alot of open fields to around 200metres. I like flat shooting guns such as the 22-250, but im not sure if thats enough to knock down a wild boar.

Does anyone know much about the above callibres? Such as what distance, much recoil? Much Noise? etc etc...

Thanks,

I Will also try find a gun forum as well...

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently got a .270 and to my surprise it's a bit of a monster. The cartidge is bigger than that of a .308. Ammo for it is around $20-$25 depending on where you go and what you get. In terms of accuracy of MY particular gun I'm yet to comment as I haven't actually fired it yet.

The old boy has a 22-250. Again ammo is up around $20-$25 depending on where you go and what you get. 22-250 are somewhat loud in comparison to the other larger calibre rifles you've mentioned above. In terms of accuracy a 22-250 with a nice scope can shoot the dick off a fly. A large charge in comparison to the projectile makes way for this. Should be able to take a feral goat down (with a descent shot) no worries. It's also a popular choice of gun for Roo Cullers as it is a very accurate calibre and has enough stopping power to shoot a roo dead with one shot.

308 is a rather large calibre and can shoot to a fair distance. Not so much a pig gun as a 30-30 as it doesn't have the same brute stopping power. A descent gun for larger game.

30-30 is a good pig gun - has that brute stopping power and good for shooting at pigs through scrub and bush. Accuracy distance isn't all that far. The projectile is in most cases flat headed, ensuring massive 'knockdown' and moderate penetration. This being ideal for game like pigs which have thick bone and heavy hide.

243 - little brother has one. Pretty good medium between a .270 and .223
Descent roo gun and accurate over a descent distance. Ammo once again ~$20-$25 depending on where you go and what brand you get.

I'm no expert so don't quote me on what I've said above.

Best thing to do is have a chat with the fellas at your local/closest gun shop. Choose trusted brands as the moving parts of the gun get a hiding. Scope - get a scope which will match your gun. Don't buy a big arse gun and get a little scope. If your that serious about shooting then spend just as much $ on a scope as you've spent on the gun itself. Also, if your going to do alot of shooting a reloading kit might be worth buying.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I think the 30-30 would be most suited to pig shooting, but that is up to around 100m.

If your shooting any further i reckon the .243 or the .22-250 would be a nice gun to be using. But cost of shells and a good scope then come into it. The good thing about those rifles though is that you can easily use them on anything from foxes to roo's out past 200m with ease especially with the help of their accuracy.

My pick for a goat and pig gun would be the 30-30 though with like a 4-6x power scope or even something abit smaller. Especially if your maximum distance will be 200m.

I also agree with Breaka that you need to spend an equivalent amount of $$ on a scope that you do on the gun. A really good scope is a must!

Wild Boars also will be able to get knocked down easily by a .223 also. They are strong but not that strong.

Patto

Last edited:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
My brother has a 22-250 it's a great gun, good for a wide variety of game & very good accuracy. My only criticism is the noise, pretty important to use hearing protection unless you want to go deaf as the 250 seems to have a particularly sharp bang in comparison to most high powered rifles (I'd like a 223 for this reason for hares, rabbits & fox's). The previous couple of posts pretty much cover it.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
something about this thread says that's inappropriate to this forum and maybe kids lurking around!

demo9pro

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all your help guys, I think my choice is going to have to be the .243 in either a saeco or tikka.

I was originally thinking about getting the .270 but I lost that idea a while ago. Good for Donkeys and Camels, but not for roo's and goats.

Whats a good scope that I can get around the $400-500 mark?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all your help guys, I think my choice is going to have to be the .243 in either a saeco or tikka.

I was originally thinking about getting the .270 but I lost that idea a while ago. Good for Donkeys and Camels, but not for roo's and goats.

Whats a good scope that I can get around the $400-500 mark?
Saeco and Tikka are very good brands. As for scopes, best off to ask someone at a gun shop. Second hand scopes are always an option too.

something about this thread says that's inappropriate to this forum and maybe kids lurking around!
Why?

patto_15

Wheel size expert
.243 is a good choice, i have a Browning A-bolt varmint stalker .243 wssm and i love it. From Roo's to foxes it does the job every time. Shot some roo's and dropped them from 300 yards one shot.

You'll be happy with the .243 for sure and as one of the most flattest shoot and fastest fireing rifles it will prove to be one of your favourite calibers.

Here is a pic of a Sako .243 Finnlight

Look into the Sako range, they are of very excellent build quality and accuracy. I am pretty sure the lower end Sako's come under the Tikka brand... Not sure on that.. But both brands are from Finland though..

If you want something a bit cheaper look into the Ruger range or for abit more the Browning range also.

.270 i reckon is a great gun and is more than enough to knock down any roo or goat. My friend uses it mainly for roo shooting as it gives that extra punch to knock them down with shoulder hits. But then again they are moving towards the minimum end of deer rifles, but still are a good medium sized caliber.

Look into leopold scopes, really good quality and worth the money hands down. Cant go past them. On a .243 also get a variable around a 3-12 or something around that.

I have a Lynx 4.5-14 on my .243 wssm but i usually only use it on around 8x for most game. Try not to touch second hand scopes, you dont know what abuse they have taken with knocks and bumps and the rest. May look good but the internals may be abit buggered. With a scope definatly go new if you can =]

Also Mo, i have started a fair few firearm threads and so have others. There is no reason why there shouldnt be any (as long as its in off topic).

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Why exactly? So far all the replies I've seen in here have been well constructed advice and feedback from members who seem to be recreational shooters.
There hasn't been any "get a uzzi mang it'll be sick for killin shit" (and there had better not be either!).

Of course firearms are dangerous, but when used responsibly by mature, licensed shooters they serve a purpose. I'd never condone the irresponsible use of guns, nor use by unexperienced, unsupervised people, but I see nothing in this thread that promotes such action.

If you think otherwise, please let us know your reasons and I'll look at it from that angle too.

chase1

Likes Dirt
at home we have a 22-250 with a .308 chamber.
at around 200metres we were getting within 2cm of the target and it was still ripping through a star picket at this range. this will knock a boar ass over and blows a hole the size of your fist through a tree.

also you could shoot this gun all day without getting sour. where as with a gun like A .303 you will pay for it the next day.

it would be hard to get this gun though. you could not buy it new set up like that but you may be able to get one second hand.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why exactly? So far all the replies I've seen in here have been well constructed advice and feedback from members who seem to be recreational shooters.
There hasn't been any "get a uzzi mang it'll be sick for killin shit" (and there had better not be either!).

Of course firearms are dangerous, but when used responsibly by mature, licensed shooters they serve a purpose. I'd never condone the irresponsible use of guns, nor use by unexperienced, unsupervised people, but I see nothing in this thread that promotes such action.

If you think otherwise, please let us know your reasons and I'll look at it from that angle too.
just thought it was something a bit out of ordinary.

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
I am a kid and i shoot. Does that make it wrong?

Anyway i think you would be best off with a .223
It would do everything fine. It is more than enough fire power for pig shooting. However it is no where near as big a a .308.
Just so you know im not a kid who knows nothing ;). I am actually first in Australia for clay target shooting for my age group ;)

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Its between a .223, 22-250, 243, 308 and a 30-30.

Il be shooting goats and pigs in alot of open fields to around 200metres.
.243 with a Leopold scope... that said, I haven't done any shooting, let alone hunting, for a looong time. I disliked my brothers .22-250 :) seeme'd more like, hey, look at all the noise I can make kinda gun :) but that could just be my problem !

cappa

Likes Bikes
The .243 would be a good choice. We used to have a 22-250, it was a great, flat shooting rifle with good accuracy, if you had your scope sighted properly, but we got rid of it due to the weight of the barrel to get a .243. The .243 is a great rifle; it is more powerful than the 22-250 and is a flat shooting rifle.

If you are going to hunt wild pigs I would recommend that you practice things like stalking, to get as close to the pig as you can, know shot placement for things like trying to stop the pig from running and due to wild pigs resilience you should practice re cocking the bolt quickly to take another shot at the pig while its running as they sometime require more than one shot to bring it down. I am not an expert but that is my advice from past experience.

Captain Muppet

Likes Dirt
Here is a pic of a Sako .243 Finnlight

Look into the Sako range, they are of very excellent build quality and accuracy. I am pretty sure the lower end Sako's come under the Tikka brand... Not sure on that.. But both brands are from Finland though..
I have one of them. Best rifle I've ever owned.

Captain Muppet

Likes Dirt
As much as I like old British things with wooden furniture, damn that's a nice looking rifle.
1st time I used one was after my time in Canberra. Went hunting for Deer on a Property near Bathurst. Never shot at anything over 150 meters, never needed to. Seko make a wicked firearm. I really like the Seko TRG22, never owned one, but nice....

Ty

Eats Squid
i only have any real experience with the .223, .243 and 308 and i'd have to back the .243 for pigs and your request for a flatter arc, that said i've found that 308 rounds are normally cheaper, maybe something worth considering if it's seeing alot of use (yeah i'm cheap but it adds up)

edit, and before anyone says anything, i live in the sticks and all the farmers around here favour the 308 so that why the ammo is probably significantly cheaper.

Last edited:

patto_15

Wheel size expert
.243 with a Leopold scope....
Your on the money there =]

If you are going to hunt wild pigs I would recommend that you practice things like stalking, to get as close to the pig as you can, know shot placement for things like trying to stop the pig from running and due to wild pigs resilience you should practice re cocking the bolt quickly to take another shot at the pig while its running as they sometime require more than one shot to bring it down....
With that said, if you are going to be stalking to get close to the pigs, then i recomend using the .30-30. Especially with the brutal knock down power it has at close range and the lever action, it means the pig should be down before it even gets to run because of the really fast and effective lever action, you can fire off 7 shots with out taking the stock from your shoulder compared to a bolt action where now days a majority of rifles only hold 3+1 shells and take a while to reload.

With a .243 or something similar you can sit back up to 200m with a bi-pod and claim the pig with far less effort and little stalking.