GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It was better than the generic shimano 3x I have on the hard tail lol.

Also it was only today i realised the x01 groupset was only a few squids more :(
Ah shit, sorry mate... didnt realise your Yeti came with GX.... I looked really seriously at the SB130 Lunch Ride and it was GX.

At the end of the day, it worked well for the first few months, then went all sloppy and slow, as if the spring was too weak. Put it on the upgrade list, its a cheap upgrade for shifter and derailleur at about $220 for Shimano XT. The jump for SRAM X0 is a shit load more.

ozzybmx

I have 2 x 14 and 15 yr old boys, telling me everyday their gears are not working... its been doing my head in. Even blaming jumping gears for not getting on the podium, breaking chains with gears jumping under power.

I feel I its my fault... how to fix ?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Ah shit... didnt realise your Yeti came with GX.... I looked really seriously at the SB130 Lunch Ride and it was GX.

At the end of the day, it worked well for the first few months, then went all sloppy and slow, as if the spring was too weak. Put it on the upgrade list, its a cheap upgrade for shifter and derailleur at about $220 for Shimano XT. The jump for SRAM X0 is a shit load more.
Haha. All g. I specced it GX intentionally with a view to an AXS upgrade given the eagle ecosystem is interchangeable.

Though I have seen the xx1 groupset for like 1.1k on pushys, so may look at upgrading the hard tail with a hand me down GX and some new wheels and putting a xx1 on the yeti. But probs after the gx gets annoying (tax time?).

I figured drive train would be something id want to upgrade eventually, but the GX is a huge upgrade to the shity 3x I had before.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have 2 x 14 and 15 yr old boys, telling me everyday their gears are not working... its been doing my head in. Even blaming jumping gears for not getting on the podium, breaking chains with gears jumping under power.

I feel I its my fault... how to fix ?
S/S conversion and a cheap sprung tensioner. No more problems.

ozzybmx

with a view to an AXS upgrade given the eagle ecosystem is interchangeable.
That's an upgrade alright !

Dont get me wrong, GX was awesome to start, it just got all slow and sloppy after some time. Even #2's NX was good to start, fuck knows what SX is like after a month or two.

The dropper post reviews I have read all put the new Reverb AXS at the top of the list... maybe some time will show its faults ?

Until we bought a Canyon, Trek, Giant (Missus ebike) and a Nukeproof with factory droppers, at one stage we had 5 x hydraulic Reverbs in this house, I never had an issue with them, if they went a bit spongy a bleed sorted that.

All 4 droppers we have now are cable.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That's an upgrade alright !

Dont get me wrong, GX was awesome to start, it just got all slow and sloppy after some time. Even #2's NX was good to start, fuck knows what SX is like after a month or two.

The dropper post reviews I have read all put the new Reverb AXS at the top of the list... maybe some time will show its faults ?

Until we bought a Canyon, Trek, Giant (Missus ebike) and a Nukeproof with factory droppers, at one stage we had 5 x hydraulic Reverbs in this house, I never had an issue with them, if they went a bit spongy a bleed sorted that.

All 4 droppers we have now are cable.
Don't really think a dropper needs axs. Seems a bit overkill. I'm also not fussed on the reduction in cables, more what I hear about the shifting.

In any case that's a little away. Need wife to forget I spent what I spent on "just a bike"

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I was shocked to see that a friends Norco sight E bike > $7.5 G had a Eagle 12 speed SX rear derailleur, with composite parts which in the first month, broke in the same place as Duck's photo above and fell into the back spokes wrecking everything .
$450 later it was fixed with an all aluminium derailleur , hanger ,new chain , spokes etc.
WTF would anyone make a plastic 12 speed derailleur and put it on an ebike except waiting for failure ?
I said I would complain but being twisted he said " No why should I be the only one to suffer ?"

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I mean the idea of a composite material when aluminium has worked well for 40 + years is just sheer stupidity or deliberate , cost saving about 2 cents?
But then putting a 12 speed long dangling derailleur on an e bike with up to 4x the power through the chain is just sheer fuckwittedness ?
The next model down in price uses 10 speed Deore .

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I mean the idea of a composite material when aluminium has worked well for 40 + years is just sheer stupidity or deliberate , cost saving about 2 cents?
But then putting a 12 speed long dangling derailleur on an e bike with up to 4x the power through the chain is just sheer fuckwittedness ?
The next model down in price uses 10 speed Deore .
Whats more stupid? Making plastic derailleur's? Or buying them because the good one is twice the price?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Whats more stupid? Making plastic derailleur's? Or buying them because the good one is twice the price?
Making them and bike manufacturers using them , most of my bike riding buddies wouldnt know what they are buying, they just buy a bike and dont know what the components are .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Whats more stupid? Making plastic derailleurs? Or buying them because the good one is twice the price?
Buying shit derailleurs at inflated prices for the quality is worse... SX build quality is just about level with Shimano Altus, but costs about $100 more just for the derailleur...

greendream

Likes Bikes
Lol. They really are a shit design, wouldn't recommend

A mate has one though and told me to just get him a new groupset. I told him I'd stuff around with it first and see how it goes, I'm fairly confident this should nail the issue.

The idea is that they're semi consumable too. Instead of wearing out alloy parts with a steel washer, you wear out the almost cost free plastic bit and spend 30seconds replacing it when it wears out. I think a little bit of grease should see it last fairly well too.

Possibly worth removing the retaining clip too. It might end up being a better fit without that, but someone that owns one of these can give that a whiz, I reckon my mate will likely get an ebike soon and the old tallboy will go to the back of the shed to gather some dust.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Lol. They really are a shit design, wouldn't recommend

A mate has one though and told me to just get him a new groupset. I told him I'd stuff around with it first and see how it goes, I'm fairly confident this should nail the issue.

The idea is that they're semi consumable too. Instead of wearing out alloy parts with a steel washer, you wear out the almost cost free plastic bit and spend 30seconds replacing it when it wears out. I think a little bit of grease should see it last fairly well too.

Possibly worth removing the retaining clip too. It might end up being a better fit without that, but someone that owns one of these can give that a whiz, I reckon my mate will likely get an ebike soon and the old tallboy will go to the back of the shed to gather some dust.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Thanks to Plankos awesomeness I have fitted one those little blue farkers to my GX 12 speed. I found a big reduction in the side to side slop & a noticeable improvement in feel & engagement when shifting up to to the larger cogs. I little bit of grease & fine tuning the torque on the bolt & you’re good to go. As an added bonus it also eliminated an annoying intermittent click from what I think was the b adjust screw hitting the hanger.
love your work.