GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What chain are you running @Haakon, that doesn’t look like a SRAM power link or whatever they call those curved Eagle chain links?

Bloody hell, flu or not, I can see why you’re not out riding looking at that weather forecast! Only got to 23 here in Brissy today, and that blustery weather is supposed to knock it down to 21 or so over the weekend. I’m going to brave it though.
That’s a KMC chain. Works like a chain, no change from the original Sram one that came with it. My last Guant with X01 11 speed shipped from the giant factory with a KMC on it....

It’s fecking cold...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
is that the only component that you used from the kit?,
I have the kit in front of me , and there is a few more goodies in the bag than just the Bbolt and O ring
The other bits are just the limit screw set, didn’t bother changing those.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I changed the B bolt on a NX Eagle to the one above and can confirm it did improve the shifting performance quite a bit with virtually no play at the B bolt unlike the play original had.
But certainly need that over priced b gap tool to get the clearance correct , found it really hard to "guess" before.
Cool, good to hear some real world testing!

Yeah, I’d also bought a gap tool thingy during my troubleshooting hassles... The whole eagle caper in general is an exercise in finicky sensitive little fucker.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
just got back from first ride after the Bbolt swap out, and can confirm some positive results too..
changed the B bolt, two Orings and the black rear plate that the B limit adjust screw pushes against, didnt really have to touch the B limit, but it has taken all the play out of the mech
bike is less than 10 rides old, but have had minor shifting issues since new....all good now though
It pains me to say it, and I will have to swallow my pride, but big thanks to Haakon for this hack..wouldn't have thought that there was such a simple and relatively cheap upgrade.
thanks again, I won't make a habit of it ;)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
just got back from first ride after the Bbolt swap out, and can confirm some positive results too..
changed the B bolt, two Orings and the black rear plate that the B limit adjust screw pushes against, didnt really have to touch the B limit, but it has taken all the play out of the mech
bike is less than 10 rides old, but have had minor shifting issues since new....all good now though
It pains me to say it, and I will have to swallow my pride, but big thanks to Haakon for this hack..wouldn't have thought that there was such a simple and relatively cheap upgrade.
#fkntradie stealing ideas from the elite.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lol. You're very welcome ;)

Still haven't ridden it myself... Another fucking sick day, but if it warms up a bit later ill drag my diseased carcass out for one short stromlo lap... I have a new 203mm rotor on the front to bed in too.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Sounds like some good empirical data coming in to confirm the mod is a winner. In some more recent reading on the interwebs, some of the subtle differences between GX and X01 are:
- X01 has a titanium spring, forged alloy cage, alloy b-bolt (assume the b bolt plate is also forged alloy)
- GX has a steel spring, die-cast aluminium cage, steel b-bolt (assume the b bolt plate is die cast)
I also read somewhere that GX had a nylon B knuckle but I can't recall where or if that's correct.

As a side note, there are also folk that have been using long cage Shimano 11-speed and Box derailleurs instead of Sram 12-speed: https://forums.mtbr.com/components/replacing-sram-gx-eagle-12-speed-derailleur-1099044.html

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wheeze... That was embarrassingly slow, and punctuated with much wheezing and coughing. Got a lot of crap out of my lungs though, so thats got to be good. I'm going back to bed now....

Anyway, I'll concur with those above - winner! Reliable and responsive snappy upshifts without hanging (this was the bit that drove me nuts, couldn't get it to do what it was told when...), and positive downshifts - although it hasn't of course cured the clunk you sometimes get when it goes into eagle gear with the narrow wide out of synch...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sounds like some good empirical data coming in to confirm the mod is a winner. In some more recent reading on the interwebs, some of the subtle differences between GX and X01 are:
- X01 has a titanium spring, forged alloy cage, alloy b-bolt (assume the b bolt plate is also forged alloy)
- GX has a steel spring, die-cast aluminium cage, steel b-bolt (assume the b bolt plate is die cast)
I also read somewhere that GX had a nylon B knuckle but I can't recall where or if that's correct.

As a side note, there are also folk that have been using long cage Shimano 11-speed and Box derailleurs instead of Sram 12-speed: https://forums.mtbr.com/components/replacing-sram-gx-eagle-12-speed-derailleur-1099044.html
My GX Eagle at least had an alloy B Bolt and plate. B knuckle is alloy.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Cool, good to hear some real world testing!

Yeah, I’d also bought a gap tool thingy during my troubleshooting hassles... The whole eagle caper in general is an exercise in finicky sensitive little fucker.
That’s what’s turned me off eagle. Finicky and a giant rear mech knuckle dragging the ground.
Except my mate who rides hard but can’t even change his own tires has eagle on his bike.
It never ever crap shifts or needs adjusting.
Just keeps on keeping on like a trooper.
Go figure.
Still won’t be running Eagle though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That’s what’s turned me off eagle. Finicky and a giant rear mech knuckle dragging the ground.
Except my mate who rides hard but can’t even change his own tires has eagle on his bike.
It never ever crap shifts or needs adjusting.
Just keeps on keeping on like a trooper.
Go figure.
Still won’t be running Eagle though.
What flavour of Eagle does your mate run? On the basis of one slow ride, this is now feeling like the X01 11 speed on my last bike and that was robust in the long term. Fingers crossed this is the same now...

Jpez

Down on the left!
What flavour of Eagle does your mate run? On the basis of one slow ride, this is now feeling like the X01 11 speed on my last bike and that was robust in the long term. Fingers crossed this is the same now...
GX I believe. He keeps trying to talk me into an Eagle. Something about getting old and knees. I dunno. Anyway think I’ll stick with my 11sp a little longer.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Mtb direct is outta stock for the X01 bolt kit.

Can I arse-sume the XX1 kit will do the same job in my GX mech?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just in the middle of fitting the X01 kit....need some help...

Not 100% about which bits I need / don't need....?
I've got the SRAM exploded diagrams in front me.

There are 3 o-rings in the kit. One is already on the new B-Bolt. One is larger and loose. One is smaller and loose.
Smaller loose o-ring is a nice fit under the head of the new B-Bolt. Makes sense to keep muck out of the area between the B-Bolt sleeve/bush and the bolt shaft itself ?
Larger loose o-ring is a good fit on the frame/inner side of the b-limit plate?

The wave washer that was between my b-limit plate and derailleur....no longer used?....or retained??
It's shown in the diagrams for GX....but not X01...??

The retaining collar that stops the GX bolt from unwinding....No longer needed I'm thinking...??
There doesn't seem to be a groove/landing for it on the new X01 bolt....?