GX Eagle - shitty shifting solved!!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Haakon Pardon my ignorance, but how How do you remove the derailleur bolt?? Is this a circlip or something similar?
there’s a YouTube video showing how to remove/reassemble it. I don’t have the link but I found it by searching a coupla months ago

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Fitted the kit and the derailleur is nice and tight now. Not sure that the shifting is that much better but we'll see when I hit the trails tonight. Can someone tell me though, what are the 2 loose orings in the kit for?

Attachments

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
They're meant to go on the new B-bolt. The larger one between the sleeve and the bolt head, the smaller on the other end of the bolt in the machined groove. They keep the sleeve from falling off and stop shit getting between the sleeve and the bolt.

Edit: There might already be an o-ring on the B-screw ( I can't remember), but the other two definitely go at each end of the B-bolt to seal it all up when installed in the derailleur knuckle. The fatter one on the mounting plate side?

Last edited:

DMan

They're meant to go on the new B-bolt. The larger one between the sleeve and the bolt head, the smaller on the other end of the bolt in the machined groove. They keep the sleeve from falling off and stop shit getting between the sleeve and the bolt.
Hmm. Ok. I did wonder if the larger one was supposed to go there. But it was a sloppy fit so I wasn't sure. There is already an oring below the sleeve on the bolt shaft. I have this red kit. And it's larger than that oring.

Attachments

Nambra

Sorry, edited my earlier post. The thin red o-ring on the bolt head, and the bigger one fits into a sealing groove on the mounting plate from memory.

DMan

Sorry, edited my earlier post. The thin red o-ring on the bolt head, and the bigger one fits into a sealing groove on the mounting plate from memory.
Ah, ok cool. That makes sense. Bit late now, but I'll pull the derailleur off tomorrow and fit them. Thanks

Plough

Squid
Thanks everyone for the info in this thread. I did this mod on an NX 11 speed mech today. The sleeve on the b bolt was really tight going into the mech, I had to gently convince it in with grease and a G clamp. Will this cause issues down the road or is it a super tight fit on the eagle mechs too?

Nambra

It was snug as a retrofit on my GX Eagle mech but didn’t need mechanical force to get the sleeve into the B knuckle. As long as the mech can still rotate on the B bolt you should be ok.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Did this mod about a month ago on GX Eagle setup. Rear mech sits more firmly now and shifting has improved.

Should've pulled the pin on Prime 9 boxing day sale o_O ... would be a good iso tinker project

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did this mod about a month ago on GX Eagle setup. Rear mech sits more firmly now and shifting has improved.

Should've pulled the pin on Prime 9 boxing day sale o_O ... would be a good iso tinker project
I mean, what the fuck should I mod my derailluer for? Lameness of the highest order, have and always will maintain SRAM groupsets are inferior in many ways. When did an XT derailluer need some after market shit to actually work? Never.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
When did an XT derailluer need some after market shit to actually work? Never.
True, Shimano rarely get drivetrains wrong. I have forgiven them about Rapidrise and they almost hit the mark with Biopace :)
The 11 speed XT shifter and derailleur coupled with a Sunrace 11/46 Cassette shifts great with a solid action, is quiet overall and just works.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You're right, never...but you're comparing XT (which in SRAMs range is the equivalent to XO1) to GX, apples - oranges.
What's the Shimano equivalent now? I bet it doesn't need after market parts to function. Does the XO1 have a better screw? In my experience, cheap Shimano works a lot like expensive Shimano, just not for as long.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
What's the Shimano equivalent now? I bet it doesn't need after market parts to function. Does the XO1 have a better screw? In my experience, cheap Shimano works a lot like expensive Shimano, just not for as long.
Not sure, SLX, Deore? Probably not. And yes it appears the XO1 has a betterer bolt as has been discussed earlier in the thread.

In truth I know f' all about Shimano drivetrains, just enough to know that I prefer the red S to the blue.

Disclaimer: I only have X0 and above, so haven't had the issues that others here have encountered.

Nambra

I’m with you on this @Scotty T. I get that that lower level spec sacrifices quality in places to get the price down, but in this case it almost seems like SRAM deliberately went for a shitty B bolt on GX to ensure it felt worse than X01, encouraging people to spend up on the higher spec kit. Sounds cynical, but it is the bike industry and it is SRAM too.

I think Shimano has a different approach in line with your comment; their lower spec drivetrains still perform as well, they just skimp on features eg. double shift on XT shifter vs SLX. It’s appropriate to compare XT with GX from a price perspective too, although performance-wise, XT is more like X0.

My GX is thankfully functioning ok and the B bolt upgrade, although not essential, did make a difference (overlooking the fact it’s bullshit that you get reamed $40 for the bolt). I spent a lot of time setting the drivetrain up right too, so I can see how people less mechanically minded would get the shits; they just want their bike to work.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
double shift on XT shifter vs SLX
Wasn’t the deal Shimano just added a plastic ‘stopper’ into the shifter cover the stop the 2nd shift on the SLX? That seems just as ridiculous as deliberately using a cheaper bolt setup.

Nambra

Wasn’t the deal Shimano just added a plastic ‘stopper’ into the shifter cover the stop the 2nd shift on the SLX? That seems just as ridiculous as deliberately using a cheaper bolt setup.
If that’s the case then yes, but guessing you could chop that stopper out for less than forty bucks!