Hadley Hub owners --------------------->

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey,
I just got my rear hadley racing hub and there was oil in the sealed bag - all over the hub.
It is brand new and unused.
Is this normal?
does this mean it has blown seals or something ? do they have seals ?

i need to know before i get it built into a wheel.

Adam

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well if it's brand new, I'd go back to the shop you got it from and show it to them. At the very least they should be able to tell you if that's right (I haven't had much experience with Hadleys, so I'm no help) and if it is a problem then they should be able to send it back and get you a new one.

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I had a hadley on my DHi. They have seals, but all they really do is keep crap out. Hadleys run sealed bearings so I don't think thats where the oil is coming from, bu when mine was new some grease oozed out of the freehub body. When I did a rebuild, Bear told me you can run oil instead of grease in the freehub body so its probably just some excess oil coming out. I wouldn't worry too much if the hub is running freely, they are very reliable and well built hubs and there is nothing too complicated inside that would be leaking oil in huge amounts.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
never used a hadley, but a lot of manufac send things to the wholesaler in shipping grease/oil. it gets cleaned off pre shipping. the oil/grease is just a protective coat for storage. i DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS THE CASE HERE. just a possible explanation. best to get the shop to have a quick look. considering what one costs, they shouldn't mind.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My hadley didnt' come with any amount of oil dripping from it/bathing in it, but there isn't anywhere for oil to really pool in the hub anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned, but if you really want, get the shop to pull it apart and have a look. And while theyre at it, tell them to tighten the pawl spring, so people can hear you comming from a mile away. ;)

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
King hubs are fun at the start, but a hadley is a bit different, so's a hugi. MMM, hugis, can you say tooless disasembly?

Acadian

Pinkbike Pimpdaddy
Hadley use a special oil in their freebodies. They don't recommend using grease. When I rebuild my Hadley rear hubs and put too much oil in them, they simply ooze the excess, which results in oily drivetrain, rotor and caliper – but noting to worry about the hub’s performance.

if you think you got a defective hub...just bring it back.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep the hub is fine - just oil that they put on the hub and inside the sealed bag to protect it while in storage and before it is sold.

But thanks for the replys
Adam