Handguards?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Doing some XC riding this evening while going through a fast segment I clipped a thin scrubby looking branch that unfortunately had some solid twigs in it. Despite wearing my Fox full fingered gloves I still managed to scratch up my finger and knuckles pretty good. It makes me wonder after years of riding dirt bikes which all have bark busters (wouldn't ride if the bike didn't have handguards) why hasn't it caught on with Mtbs? The weight is minimal and the protection they offer is excellent.

I've only ever seen one enduro rider with handguards installed and despite a few people paying him out they actually looked pretty cool. Made the bike look that extra bit hardcore.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think for your XC riding it would definitely add a bit of hardcore. Don't listen to the haters, do it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I generalyl don't judge anyone for overkilling the saftey equipment. Full face for green runs, all cool with me, I've had easy rides where I lost some chin, each to their own.

why hasn't it caught on with Mtbs?
For me they are too bulky. Some of the gloves come padded to smooth out any bumps or crashes but the reality is we aren't going fast enough to need that (famous last words...?). Most of the time we are too scared to be clipping bars on trees let alone the hand.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Doing some XC riding this evening while going through a fast segment I clipped a thin scrubby looking branch that unfortunately had some solid twigs in it. Despite wearing my Fox full fingered gloves I still managed to scratch up my finger and knuckles pretty good. It makes me wonder after years of riding dirt bikes which all have bark busters (wouldn't ride if the bike didn't have handguards) why hasn't it caught on with Mtbs? The weight is minimal and the protection they offer is excellent.

I've only ever seen one enduro rider with handguards installed and despite a few people paying him out they actually looked pretty cool. Made the bike look that extra bit hardcore.
Depends on where you are riding. I can totally see them being useful if you ride places that are a bit overgrown. I once got thrown over the bars and broke my collarbone from a vine that caught my front lever. I know a few guys that run them but haven't felt the need to get some myself.
I had barkbusters on my dirt bikes but that was mainly for protecting my levers when I dropped my bike, rather than protecting my hands.