Happy GST day everyone!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not bike related but relevant, I bought a a few digital downloads from a US audio software company yesterday. Paid with paypal and hit download straight to my HD. No gst.. how will the gov ever stop this happening?
The same way they stopped music piracy.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Have had 2 deliveries from OS the passed week, both ordered pre 1st july. No issues.

Made a purchase on Ebay AU the other day (after 1st july) for a wheelset from overseas. Ebay checkout added the GST automatically before allowing me to make payment.

Travis.

teK--

Eats Squid
Bike-discount.de has now added GST to all items.. first site of the Germans to fold, as far as I can see.

Had built up a decent order (in euro and other default settings), assuming to knock 19% vat off the total. Went to pay and it included "10% vat" instead. Fuck!

Noticed they have option to login using an Amazon account, which might have something to do with it.

R2-bike.de still good for now.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not bike related but relevant, I bought a a few digital downloads from a US audio software company yesterday. Paid with paypal and hit download straight to my HD. No gst.. how will the gov ever stop this happening?
if you have a VPN logged through a O/s server i guess they can’t.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just checked my tracking no. and the parcel has arrived in Australia but the Austpost tracking is still not working.

Flow-Rider

Burner
How dare they run a successful online business model and provide better prices and services, but refuse to collect taxes for a foreign government...
No one but themselves to blame, I'm not sure after a few experiences with Aussie face to face shops that they realise that the only reason they exist is because of customers. I'm not even going to get in the car to fight traffic to visit them anymore, waste my time and be bullshitted to.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How dare they run a successful online business model and provide better prices and services, but refuse to collect taxes for a foreign government...
Those dirty rotten scoundrels. Filthy greedy profiteers! The nerve...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So I did not have to pay extra on my tripod. The purchase was before the key date anyway as well as being from B&H!

There was one available second hand, previous model with an average ball head (go to town poodle), previous modrl missed out on a 0 degree lockout. He wanted $x plus postage from the deep south. Likely 5 to 7 days to get to me if I didn't pay for express postage. Local shops (Bris and Syd) did not have stock but the distributer did. None could supply within 7 days and the price was $x + 100. I bought from B&H. Ex stock. Arrived in Oz 2 days after order. OzPost fucked around with it for another 7 days from Sydney. I paid $x - 50 with an upgraded ball head.

I don't know why people buy from overseas.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There was one available second hand, previousmodel with an average ballhead (go to town poodle),previous modrl missed outon a 0 degree lockout.
Oh man that whole sentence is a gift! I mean I could understand a brand new model not really offering much ball head, but a used one? Gotta be better than average...

Bring your new tripod along on your next trip to Sydney and wander out to Balls Head Point. Not only does it have an amazing name it is also a very nice part of the harbour.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ordered some books from an online bookshop. No mention of GST.

The suggestion in that article linked above about the ATO pursuing debts in foreign courts is risible at best.

Binaural

Eats Squid
The suggestion in that article linked above about the ATO pursuing debts in foreign courts is risible at best.
"Collect our tax or we'll sue!" - ATO muppet
"You and what international reciprocal tax agreement?" - all international suppliers who see the opportunity to get an extra 10% off to lure AU customers

teK--

Eats Squid
"Collect our tax or we'll sue!" - ATO muppet
"You and what international reciprocal tax agreement?" - all international suppliers who see the opportunity to get an extra 10% off to lure AU customers
That's a good point actually.. there is a big incentive to NOT comply as they would be cheaper than those who do. The biggest risk is if the ATO does pursue a vendor and wins or settles.. they will make it very public to put pressure on others.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The biggest risk is if the ATO does pursue a vendor and wins or settles.. they will make it very public to put pressure on others.
As far as I can see they have no jurisdiction whatsoever over businesses in other countries. Pretty confident any judge would throw the case out before bums have settled in seats in court.

They are also in no position to audit overseas-based companies to see if they've hit the GST threshold.