Hardtail Choice?

e-man

Likes Dirt
Hay all, I'm in the market too build up a hard tail play bike for local trails and occasional bmx/ pump track session. The 2 frames I 'am considering are Orange P7 and a Chromag stylus. Both bikes have features I really like but I haven't seen too many reviews of the 2016 orange p7. The P7 appeals to me as it only has 140mm travel on the front and the geometry with slack head tube angle is based around that fork, so technically it should have a little lower standover height than the stylus with its 160mm travel fork set-up. Anyone with experience of either bikes please tell me your thoughts.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Got a SantaCruz Chameleon which is awesome all round fun. Takes 26 and 27.5 wheels, single speed, (currently 1x10). Setup with 120/140 revs and dropper. Maybe selling it after breaking my elbow. Dont want to but dont think ill be riding enough to warrant it and my dually.

So many awesome trail/AM hardtail frames available now though.

Ideate

Sounds like a NS Surge Evo might fit the bill? I think they look awesome. I'm surprised there's not more floating around.

p4pb12940121.jpg

Ideate

That looks very nice, perhaps too nice for a jump session
ahhhh.. but that's what it's made for (apparently).

"Perfect for new school freeride, yet at the same time comfortable on longer rides and great for dirt jumping."

nssurge.JPG

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i agree on the cotic, £279, 27.5, i converted my BFe 26 to run 27.5 -it will take up to about 2.3 wide
im just waiting for the CX frame to come on special to buy one so i have matching bikes

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I'm in the process of building a Kona Honzo. I rode it before I bought the frame and it's a stunner. I go to bed at night dreaming of a Titanium one.

I also have a Canefield Nimble 9. It probably wouldn't work on the dirt jumps, but if you're looking for a fast, crazy fun hardtail I'd rate it.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm in the process of building a Kona Honzo. I rode it before I bought the frame and it's a stunner. I go to bed at night dreaming of a Titanium one.

I also have a Canefield Nimble 9. It probably wouldn't work on the dirt jumps, but if you're looking for a fast, crazy fun hardtail I'd rate it.
Off topic,

But are you going steel or aluminium?

e-man

Likes Dirt
I'am undecided with steel or aluminium atm, I want a low slung hard tail that has 4x handling and similar geometry but sill make a good trail bike. The aluminium frame of the nukeproof scout 275 is very appealing but the reviews haven't been in its favour much.

e-man

Likes Dirt
The Nicolai Argon frame looks nice aswell. I'am after a 66 -65 deg head angle for stability, short chainstays for a playful bike at the pump or bmx track and low stand over height with no more than 140mm travel front end. A hardtail with 160mm front end at a bmx track is not a fun time.

e-man

Likes Dirt
Have just had a look at the Cotic BFe, It nearly nails everything I'am after, I'am liking the 26 idea aswell but might have a look at the geometry for the 27.5 version.

Ideate

Wkkie has an awesome dartmoor hornet. I had one (same as wkkie), it was super fun manual master play machine. I'd say pretty similar to the NS Surge Evo except aluminium. Both are fairly cheap but everyone has suggested some good options besides the honzo. I'm not sure how you'd go pumping a 29" around doubles etc. Doable but no where near as fun or fast. Ask owners for a test ride?

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
NS Eccentric

How about a NS Eccentric. Mine is currently set at 140mm and makes a fun bike. Available in alloy or steel and at quite good prices. I bought mine as a spare trail bike that I could could use for some jumping and trials riding with a bit of commuting on late shifts. Steel frame and x fusion forks cost about $800 at time of purchase which makes a good resnable price build. Lots in funduro/hardtail thread.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Ps Eccentric runs 26" and 27.5. Have run both even though it's set up with 27.5 I think I liked it better set at 150mm with 26"

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
How about a Whyte 905? It won 'best' hardtail in a few UK mags and Dirt mag put them in the Dirt 100 last year. Carbuta import them into Aus.

9/10 in MBR and 4.5 in Bikeradar.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/reviews/whyte-905-2015-review

(this was from a very quick google, there are more recent reviews out there)

I had a T-120 Dualy that was short on travel, slack and playful waaayyyyy before short, slack and playful became a thing.