Hardtail recommendation for wifey

wayne_g

Squid
Hi all,

Looking at getting the wife a new bike for her birthday. Would like to get a 27.5 hardtail with 1x drivetrain and 120+mm air forks. Dropper would be a bonus but not a deal breaker as I can add one later. Budget is $1500 including dropper. I was all set on a Norco fluid HT 2 but they're sold out everywhere. The only others I've come across is the Trek Roscoe 7 and Liv Tempt 1 (only 100mm fork though).

Anyone got any other suggestions? Thanks.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what he is trying to say is, buy second hand and get a better deal.
people move on to the next greatest thing very quickly these days, your time to pick up a bargain

moorey

call me Mia
Yes. Sorry. We are awesome at spending big money on bikes then selling them for a fraction of what we ‘invested’.
If it has to be new, ignore. All the best.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
this scott scale dis a bit of a bargain if you’re in melbs, only in M scott scale, comes with dropper & 120mm judy for 1499

geometry on the marin sq1 is good, 66/75, but a bit under specced component wise, marin sq1, cheap at 1199..pity the sq2 doesn’t have the same geometry

you could get a torrent ht1?

Last edited:

wayne_g

Squid
Oh right. Yeah I've definitely been hitting up gumtree, eBay and the rotorburn trading area for second hand, but haven't been able to find much. Did see a Trek Rosco 8 for $1k but I was too slow on that one.

Thanks for the link to the scale but she needs a small. The Marin sq1 has a coil fork, if it wasn't for that I would grab one. Then the sq2 is just that bit too expensive. The torrent is way over budget.

I may have found a bit of bargain though. Found a 2019 Rocky Mountain Growler 40 on sale for just over $1k. Just have to wait until the store opens to see if there's any left.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
IIRC - The Marin SQ1 also has a boost 141 (QR) rear hub unlike the higher spec models - so avoid like the plague! Higher spec models look cool though.

moorey

call me Mia
Join all the FB trader pages if you’re on there. 90% of the bikes are listed there these days. I’d avoid gumtree like the Rona personally.