hardwood pallets

bigred2284

Likes Bikes
anybody know where i can get free or cheap hardwood pallets around newcastle? and are they good for making take offs to dirt landers?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anybody know where i can get free or cheap hardwood pallets around newcastle? and are they good for making take offs to dirt landers?
Can't help with the first question. But in relation to the second: NO. Don't build dodgy ghetto crap out of pallets. Build with dirt. And, if due to factors other than laziness, you MUST use wood for a feature: do it properly.

bigred2284

Likes Bikes
wood for take offs?

what type of wood would work for a take off? do you know what they used at kiwarrak to make all their ramps?

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
....But in relation to the second: NO. Don't build dodgy ghetto crap out of pallets. Build with dirt. And, if due to factors other than laziness, you MUST use wood for a feature: do it properly.
What's the drama if they are hardwood pallet's?
We aren't talking pine here...
Genuine question, as I was considering stocking up on hardwood ones to patch (read: make a bridge) some sinkholes at a local track.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Can't help with the first question. But in relation to the second: NO. Don't build dodgy ghetto crap out of pallets. Build with dirt. And, if due to factors other than laziness, you MUST use wood for a feature: do it properly.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

The man speaks the truth. Timber on a trail sucks and makes the trail look like a rubbish dump. Put your back in and build it with dirt. ;)

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the drama if they are hardwood pallet's?
We aren't talking pine here...
Genuine question, as I was considering stocking up on hardwood ones to patch (read: make a bridge) some sinkholes at a local track.
Installing a pallet to cover a cross-track drain is fine. It can actually look quite neat if done well. But the moment pallets appear above ground, you're in ghetto-build territory.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
Second hand hardwood framing from old buildings is the best as its had plenty of years to harden and wont rot or get eaten quickly,ive used timber from hardwood pallets before but its always been cut from the pallets and then re assembled as a bridge ,ramp or whatever .treated pine railway sleepers from bunnings etc go alright as slats and they're pretty cheap

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
It seems to work pretty good but your best cutting the slats off because they can split if you try to remove them with a pinch bar (jemy bar).you end up with slats that are around 5ocms long but most of us can ride that width fairly easy.the bits of slat that are left on the pallet frames can be removed with a pinch bar and or a hammer though.I'd only suggest doing this with hardwood pallets (this warning is for anyone just tuning in).there is a bridge over a fallen tree on our local trails that I built from cut up hardwood pallets 5 years ago,its still going strong

J B

Squid
Just from my experience anything made out of wood gets canned on legal trail unless it is make to high standards. My advice would be make it out of dirt or rock.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
If you can get your hands on a chep pallet...(don't put it on a public trail) it'll last for years, just dont get caught loading into the back of your car, warehouse workers get very attached to those cheppies. Building sites are a great place to check. On many of the sites I've worked on pallets are stacked up out of the way, then eventually thrown into a skip. Its cheaper to give them away than it is to put 'em into a skip. Look for sites in your local area, there's bound to be a foreman about who's willing to give some away.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've just sniffed around industrial areas and asked if I could pinch a pallet from a few places.
Chocko is the name of my cat. Are you my cat?

No wait a minute, he is a smart cat and agrees with Dozer: "Timber on a trail sucks and makes the trail look like a rubbish dump."

Last edited: