Has anyone ever repainted their new Mountain Bike.

Specialized29er

Likes Bikes
I'm wanting to upgrade to a 2016 Specialized 29er Crave Pro but there's one slight problem with the bike, our bike shop has said theres only one colour available and its a disgusting bright metallic red with yellow lettering.

I've been told the genuine bike paint is the same as the automotive paint but I'm thinking powder coating would be more suitable for a Mountain bike.

Has anyone repainted their new bike and what kind of paint did you use.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
For a $2000 entry/mid Ievel hardtail I wouldn't bother.
By the time you prep it, paint/powder coat it, reapply the decals and rebuild it, you be better off spending the cash on a higher level rig that doesn't look so shit.
Plus, I'm always suspicious about painted bikes, I feel there's something to hide and inevitably make them worth less.

Ps. The picture you posted is a Crave Comp. No Pro listed on their website.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
specialized au list a satin black/white version. is it out of stock, or are they saying it's only available in the red?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes, first fatbike back in 2011. Didn't like the dull boring blue factory colour it was made in, took the brand new frame and forks to a powdercoater and got it done sparkling orange.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy the Comp if it's a better colour. You will upgrade most of the parts over time and the frames are the same except for. The colour....

Or one last years if it's available.....

Good beginning in mtb imo is the crave I owned a 2014 model myself. Not sure but I would think there are now better value hard tails out there the big s seems to have jacked their prices on everything recently... And no not just to compensate for the dollar.

Have a real hard look at the superfly by trek geo is a better and the 7 represents better value imo...

Last edited:

omac

Likes Dirt
I painted my new trials frame light blue because it was silver like everyone else's & I wanted something different. Just use a quality enamel paint.Ozonys frame 1.jpg12299137_447938835411344_5666112426550751227_n.jpg

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I think it's worth repainting if you really want a different colour. I've done this a few times, more recently with a charge blender, which I bought from eBay in very bad condition. Had it media blasted for $50. Had it dulux powder coated for $100. The outcome was better than I had imagined. Shop around a bit for prices.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
The painting shouldn't be a problem with warranty, but how you remove the original paint will. Lots of companies will void a warranty if you have an alloy frame sand blasted. Personally, I love painting stuff. I've plasti-dipped a bike and it's not bad. The dip has held up for like 2 years and acts as a bit of protection from scratches and such. I've done forks with spray cans which have turned out very nicely too. If you're going to paint it yourself, DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR PREP WORK.
Here's my latest painting frame project. It's alright, but we didn't polish it to a high shine. not sure if we will either. It was purchased specifically as a trial for blasting and air brushing. There is nothing we're trying to hide, the original owner didn't like the paint so he'd sprayed the frame in primer and left it. It was ugly. Painted at home over the course of a month, due to weather and it needing to cure.

DSC06778 (Large).jpg

jellylegs

Banned
Paint it with Duplicolour Custom Wrap EZ Peel.

You can just peel it off any time to reveal the original paint underneath.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You are right to want to repaint that Carve/Crave/whatever they're calling them this week. It looks like one of those unloved, uncared for 15 year old hardtails you see scattered around locked or nailed to anything vaguely immobile in your nearest CBD. And someone needs to tell Specialized hypercolour yellow went out in about 1994.

I've painted a few bikes myself, part of a uni side project/"business" with a mate that never took off. Mostly old shitty 1970s roadies. It's a great way to learn, but produced some variable results (some amazing, some as durable as wet newspaper). Plus once you've spent all the money on tools and paint (not to mention the time) it's actually probably cheaper to get it professionally done...

If you're going to paint it yourself, DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR PREP WORK.
Did you learn that one the hard way too?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
20605_10153262510896060_3879420431235242190_n.jpg

Done by panel beaters, pretty sub par. Powder coat and decals are great, paint is better if you've got the coin.

floody

Wheel size expert
It's a good way to change it from a poor choice of graphics and colors to looking like it has been stolen. Any future buyer is also much more likely to put up with ugly factory paint than be attracted to most people's ideas of custom, so you'll probably consign it's ultimate fate once it is past currency to be 'bike split'.

Zam

Likes Dirt
As Jellylegs suggested, have you thought of a vinyl wrap, getting reasonably popular on cars, acts as a protective layer and you can easily remove and restore the original look if you want to go back or put and wrap on to change to a different color

jellylegs

Banned
As Jellylegs suggested, have you thought of a vinyl wrap, getting reasonably popular on cars, acts as a protective layer and you can easily remove and restore the original look if you want to go back or put and wrap on to change to a different color
The stuff i'm talking about just sprays on. It comes in a pressure pack from most auto accessory stores.

Jlutzy

Squid
As a spray painter myself I have done quite a few frames. Mostly for the lads at the bmx track. There's no problem painting your frame but I would definatley suggest stearing clear of the DIY options using pressure packs from the automotive store. The paint quality is cheap and nasty. For hardtails and bmx's I generally charge $250 as a rough price for you to go off. Powder coating is also a great option. I have seen a few of my mates bikes powder coated and the finish is flawless .
The vinyl wrap option I would be sceptical about in my opinion. Great on cars but a bike frame would be very fiddelly. You would want to make sure you found a good applicator to out in on or it will look shit. Plus you will end up with seems in the vinyl all round your frame.