Has the 2nd hand market changed yet again?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Optimistic ,some of our local gravel roads have 70-80 minus rocks so at 85 kg I need 60 psi .
I'm heavier than you and have done the complete Flinders Ranges Outback Epic on a CX bike with 19mm diameter rims and 40c Schwalbe G-ones with 40psi.

The recommendations a few posts up came from a gravel bike website, it's not written in stone, just a guide.

On a bike with so little give like a cheap alu frame and forks, tyre pressures are really important to stop the corrugations shaking yer teeth out ;)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I'm heavier than you and have done the complete Flinders Ranges Outback Epic on a CX bike with 19mm diameter rims and 40c Schwalbe G-ones with 40psi.

The recommendations a few posts up came from a gravel bike website, it's not written in stone, just a guide.

On a bike with so little give like a cheap alu frame and forks, tyre pressures are really important to stop the corrugations shaking yer teeth out ;)
You are right some friends ride lightweight tubeless at low PSI but get more punctures.
Depends on your speed downhill too , easy to get snakebites with tubes.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If I was going to get one I'd get a flat bar, the drop bars are gimmicky IMO.
Totally agree until I started doing really really long rides. There is a crossoverpoint where grave is so grnarly it it basically hardtail territory. Personally I run drop on a meagre 38c tyre so most of it is still hardpack, some tarmac and a sprinkling of real grnaly crap because I refuse to detour 10km. I still don't understand why folks run mtb tyres on a drop bar bike. The cool kids run jones bars or what ever is hottest thing that week. Don't get me started on wide drop bars. They are the dumbest thing ever. Basically munts the geometry and puts you hands in sort sort of contortion to actually try to brake.

ozzybmx

You are right some friends ride lightweight tubeless at low PSI but get more punctures.
Depends on your speed downhill too , easy to get snakebites with tubes.
I don't ride a conventional CX/Gravel bike anymore and haven't done since about 2018.
(#1 son races CX on it now)

My gravel/adventure bike these days is a steel dropbar 29er, running up to a 2.4 x 29 tyre but usually Schwalbe 2.35 Furious Fred's. Has the Ritchey Venturemax XL bars at 660mm wide in the drops and 56cm on the hoods.
It's slower than the CX/Gravel bikes but so much more comfortable.
Tyre pressure for me is around 26psi.

ozzybmx

I still don't understand why folks run mtb tyres on a drop bar bike.

Don't get me started on wide drop bars. They are the dumbest thing ever. Basically munts the geometry and puts you hands in sort sort of contortion to actually try to brake.
Missed your post while typing.

Yes, mine is actually a fully rigid MTB.

I progressed to the Venturemax XL's after 2 other flared bars. The Curve bars would be too big but the 660mm Ritcheys fit me beautifully.

ozzybmx

Lol, saw a guy recently doing (road) laps on the Boulie on a Curve with wide AF Walmer bars. Managed to get a pic of his riding position as we went past:
They do looks ridiculous but you can fit a really wide handlebar roll between the drops.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Don't get me started on wide drop bars. They are the dumbest thing ever. Basically munts the geometry and puts you hands in sort sort of contortion to actually try to brake.
When I had my drop bar I ran 50cm bars on it, I'm 6'4 tall the stock 40cm bars were too close and made the bike far to skittish and nervous on the fast corners. The wider bars helped a lot. Had to get them from AliExpress as no one stocked that size in Australia.

ozzybmx

get in quick for a bargain boys
Wrong topic, try this one...