Has the 2nd hand market changed yet again?

Jpez

Down on the left!
In saying that there is still the odd decent person that pops up. A 2016 Spectral yesterday. Needed a teeny bit of TLC and the seller was very clear about it but otherwise a very solid ride. $900.

moorey

call me Mia
In saying that there is still the odd decent person that pops up. A 2016 Spectral yesterday. Needed a teeny bit of TLC and the seller was very clear about it but otherwise a very solid ride. $900.
So…it’s been resisted for $2500 already?

Coopz

Likes Dirt

Wow $200 postage for 2 pedals !!!!
I bought the same pair in eBay for $90 last week. That person is optimistic..

My mate bought a Fuji road bike second hand 9 months ago for 5k, they were new for around 4k but zero stock. Now he wants to get a gravel bike bit he can't sell the Fuji, 2 months of trying it's gone from 5k to 2.5k. Zero interest as the bikes are back in stock and the riding craze has died down..

mekros

Likes Dirt
My lbs is still low on stock for mid and high range gear. A few entry model bikes available.

On the second hand market it seems prices have levelled out and started going to more sensible levels.

Motorbikes seem to be a different story.

moorey

call me Mia
@damo666 is basically throwing away his Ibis Ripmo in the For Sale section.
The market has definitely cooled when a bike like that can't sell
Indeed. If it was 27.5, it would scratch an itch very nicely.
The average flog is still asking way too much for most bikes still though.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Market cooling but parts supply is still in demand. I think most folks have realised they cannot ride a mtb. Gravel bikes on the other hand seem to be holding on a bit stronger. Retail prices are still high i wonder if they will price cut if they have any sort of oversupply - probably not, they will just introduce a new standard...

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I'm an admin on the largest (I think) MTB buy and sell site on Facebook in Australia and can confirm that Covid Tax is alive and well, but it is starting to flatten out. Now people are being called out for being excessive rip-offs. Being an admin when grown adults name call is exciting stuff :/

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Market cooling but parts supply is still in demand. I think most folks have realised they cannot ride a mtb. Gravel bikes on the other hand seem to be holding on a bit stronger. Retail prices are still high i wonder if they will price cut if they have any sort of oversupply - probably not, they will just introduce a new standard...
I was thinking about getting on the gravel bike bandwagon. A friend lent me his Reid Granite 2.0 yesterday. Did a 20k loop around the local reservoir on it, even with 45psi in the tyres these things feel every bump on the road. Holding into drop bar hoods are even more uncomfortable on the rutted hard pack gravel with the bumps and vibration. Honestly couldn't wait to get off it, a mountain bike is a luxury car compared to these things off-road. If I was going to get one I'd get a flat bar, the drop bars are gimmicky IMO.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
drop bars are gimmicky IMO.
Totally agree , I know the arguments are more hand positions and tradition but that is BS IMO.
440mm bars are twitchy , brake position is weak and pulls you forward when braking on steeps, roadie shifters are slower.
Yes I have done lots of road biking but thats different.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was thinking about getting on the gravel bike bandwagon. A friend lent me his Reid Granite 2.0 yesterday. Did a 20k loop around the local reservoir on it, even with 45psi in the tyres these things feel every bump on the road. Holding into drop bar hoods are even more uncomfortable on the rutted hard pack gravel with the bumps and vibration. Honestly couldn't wait to get off it, a mountain bike is a luxury car compared to these things off-road. If I was going to get one I'd get a flat bar, the drop bars are gimmicky IMO.
Reid Granite 2 is a $1000 bike brand new and has 37c gravel tyres, so depending on rider weight, should be anything from 30-40psi.

The rims it has are Alex MD17's, 17mm internal, roadies have wider rims, which would explain the 45psi.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion but I would not bundle all gravel bikes in with this test ride, IMO the Granite 2 is nothing but a very cheap mechanical disc roadie with clearance for bigger tyres.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Reid Granite 2 is a $1000 bike brand new and has 37c gravel tyres, so depending on rider weight, should be anything from 30-40psi.

The rims it has are Alex MD17's, 17mm internal, roadies have wider rims, which would explain the 45psi.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion but I would not bundle all gravel bikes in with this test ride, IMO the Granite 2 is nothing but a very cheap mechanical disc roadie with clearance for bigger tyres.
Yeah I know it's a Reidy and it's only entry level, he was running Riddler 40c tyres on it with wider Alex Rims. I'm 100kg so I ran them firmer, also paranoid about bashing the rim on a root or rock.

To the Granites credit the brakes are excellent. Spend $2000 more and get a bike that's 3kg lighter with smoother gears but I'm heavy so I don't see the point in lightweight frames. The other gravel bike I rode last year was a Norco Search which didn't feel that much different. Faster but it felt more skittish.