Have i missed a frame?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well everything is together for my slowest ever build. A house and another car got in the way! Just thought I'd pick the brains trust on here to see If I've missed any frames worth considering.

Requirements:
Alloy
140mm + travel
148x12 rear end
73mm Bsa BB
Mullet friendly.
Under $3k ish.
Sub 440mm stays
Circa 450 to 465mm reach.
Preferably not Horst link, up for more single pivots (just not overpriced cromo ones)

Contenders : Last glen mx is currently first, transition sentinel second, canfield in 3rd.

Anything else possible? Looked at propain, alutech, rose, raaw, craftworks (loved it till 142 and wrong seat post sizing..)etc.

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Sentinel is awesome but mullet might be too slack (if there is such a thing). It’s at 64 degrees already

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Does it have to be mullet?

Wouldn’t you rather put a larger wheel up front than a smaller wheel out back?

banshee spitfire? Having the adjustable dropouts that change bb height is a plus.

tranny scout? Fuck yeah. Leave it 27.5 and whack a longer fork up front.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Sentinel is awesome but mullet might be too slack (if there is such a thing). It’s at 64 degrees already
Few boys have gone this way with some tweaking and kept it sensible. Seems it works better than mulleting the scout.

Hadn't looking at mulleting a spitty, only a prime. I'll go suss it.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Few boys have gone this way with some tweaking and kept it sensible. Seems it works better than mulleting the scout.
Fair enough. I ride a sentinel on 29 front and back and love it. While i was building it up, the wheels were delayed so i rode on 650B with 2.6 tyres front and back. It was plush and floaty but bb was very low. Going from 650B with 2.6 to 29er with 2.3 was noticeable

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Out of my current bikes the ones that I'm vibing on at the moment are the Pole Evolink, Canfield Balance and Liteville 301.

In terms of pluses and minuses:

Pole:
  • Easily the quickest bike I've got. Absolutely slays the downs. Amazing traction on the ups.
  • Are currently on sale.
  • The interrupted seat tube is a pain and limits the dropper to a 175mm external on an xl frame.
  • Folds in half easily for travel.
  • Not the lightest.

Canfield balance:
  • Really active and poppy. Needs a good shock to get the most out of the suspension.
  • Lives for the downs and corners. Although it doesn't have the super slack front end of the Pole it has a rear ward travel path and it holds its speed well.
  • Really stiff bb area.
  • Pretty light for what it is.

Liteville 301:
  • The most over engineered bike I've seen. Titanium linkage bolts with grease ports, spare hanger bolts and chain device integrated into the frame.
  • Rear linkage is adjusted for every size frame.
  • Strictly speaking its a horst link but its a very unique one.
  • Has virtually no brake jack.
  • Can run 140mm or 160mm depending linkage plates.
  • Crazy light for alloy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Dartmoor Bluebird / Blackbird. Not 100% sure on latest axle size though...
Done my time on dartmoor, did 6 odd years, time for a change! Do regret selling my roots though!

Hmm yes, liteville has, always appealed. Staff member had a 601 down into the 14.01 odd kg mark. Maybe I need to look.

Oddjob

Done my time on dartmoor, did 6 odd years, time for a change! Do regret selling my roots though!

Hmm yes, liteville has, always appealed. Staff member had a 601 down into the 14.01 odd kg mark. Maybe I need to look.
You could get a medium 301 into the 12kgs with a Pike or Mattoc and the right wheels. The frames also come with a 10 year transferrable warranty.

Bonus points for running 2x and keeping weight down in the cassette.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
You could get a medium 301 into the 12kgs with a Pike or Mattoc and the right wheels. The frames also come with a 10 year transferrable warranty.

Bonus points for running 2x and keeping weight down in the cassette.

Builds kits fairly light for what it'll handle without any carbon. Plenty of 301s OS in budget too, just to sus it out abit more aswell.

Oddjob

@Oddjob
Rune just too stiff?
Not sure. Its a lot better with the DVO suspension but it just doesn't jump and handle as well as the Canfield or the Sam. This could be coloured by a creak coming from the bike that I can't identify.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
In terms of pluses and minuses:
301:
  • Strictly speaking its a horst link but its a very unique one.
What makes it so different? I like these, vaguely on my endurobro list, but kinda feel like the mk15 really got pounded with the ugly stick.

Oddjob

What makes it so different? I like these, vaguely on my endurobro list, but kinda feel like the mk15 really got pounded with the ugly stick.
Most Horst links are pretty good with managing brake forces but the Liteville is in another league.

The steepness of the fall in the high anti-squat and the corresponding drop off in pedal kick is pretty impressive too.

The overall impact is to give the bike a magic carpet feel as you ride along. The bike tends not to be too disturbed by brake, pedal and suspension inputs.

Read more here
https://mrblackmorescorner.blogspot.com/2017/11/liteville-2018.html?m=1
And
http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2015/07/liteville-301-mk12-2016.html?m=1

I feel that they made a mistake with the mk15 as well. They would have been better off with seperate 101 and 301 lines.