Votes: 6 15.4%
  • No - but would like to try them if they are alot cheaper

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No - I am happy paying $40 a set

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you ever used a set of brake pads made by a third party. Typically alot cheap but with the sort of performance.

scblack

Leucocholic
Yep, for Hayes brakes, work fine. I will check the no-name brand tonight and update here.

From memory, I got two sets of pads (4 pads) for about $25 as opposed to $50 or so for Hayes ones, only 2 pads.

Quency

Likes Dirt
Yep, for Hayes brakes, work fine. I will check the no-name brand tonight and update here.

From memory, I got two sets of pads (4 pads) for about $25 as opposed to $50 or so for Hayes ones, only 2 pads.
Yeh i did the exact same for a similar price. The no name ones i got are "Alligator" brand. Only difference is they are semi metallic and the Hayes ones are metallic.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh i did the exact same for a similar price. The no name ones i got are "Alligator" brand. Only difference is they are semi metallic and the Hayes ones are metallic.
yep, price sounds right, a +1 for the alligator (t7 purchase). They work quite well.

no reason they shouldn't really, probably have similar compounds in them.

T-Rex

Template denier
-1 for Alligator

Have purchased a couple of sets of these for Hayes 9s off T7. They piss me off no end. While they appear good value, either the backing plate or the friction material is too thick, so there is insufficient clearance between the rotor and the pads, so the wheel won't rotate. The solution is to grind off one third to half of the friction material. Then they work, but obviously not such good value given how much I had to grind off them.

I would never buy them again.

T-Rex

Template denier
Goodridge OK

I have also used Goodridge pads in Codes, they work fine, and nearly fit in to the calipers first go, you just need to enlarge the retaining pin hole in the centre a little.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have used Baradines and a few others. All the semi-metalic ones seem fine.
Surprisingly, if you research who actually manufactures the brake material, many brands source from the same place. The same people who make brake pads for Boeing 747's also do MTB pad materials........

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just put in some HYGIA pads. Got them for $10 a pair! Semi sintered, bedded in quickly with the same performance as genuine shimano sintered and they make a lot less noise too. Only drawback is the return spring is a bit weak, but i just stretched them open a bit and seem fine. Well worth a look into.

*Still $10 a pair. $28 for 2 pairs including postage.
http://isgcycles.com.au/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=11

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used Nukeproof pads for Avid Juicey 5s from CRC - only marginally cheaper than the Avid equivilants (about $10) but I was very happy

Nukeproof pads come in three models for each brake - Trail (fast bed in) Enduro (long lasting) DH (Good stopping power) - I tried the Enduro ones (tbh though I dont think they'd be ll that different from one another - but that s pure speculation)

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had the following:

DHDirect pads in my Hayes - I'd rate them about 8/10. Pretty good in all conditions but not overly powerful (compared to EBC red's). They're about equivalent to the original Hayes pads but a fair bit cheaper

Goodridge pads in my '06 Saints - I'd rate them about 2/10. They're only good if you use them hard... but not too hard because they'll glaze. I got them because they were super cheap from CRC and have since gone back to Shimano pads which are infinitely better.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Me and my mates use BBB for the Juicy 3, 5, 7, Avid Elixir, old Saint, new Saint, hayes 9 etc. Always been top notch with the sintered pads but organic I haven't tried. RRP $30

Lard

Likes Dirt
I've used chinese noname sintered juicy pads that I picked up for $8 a pair on ebay that were great. At that price I don't mind destroying them in wet and muddy rides.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Yep ... all good

disco brake pads ... bought a few of each compound to both test and reduce the cost ... I kinda figured ... if it was cheap it would burn thru pretty quick.

Have been a real bargain ... I think I've only gone through 2 sets on 3 or 4 rigs over about 1.5 to 2 years (sorry lost count - so number outta my arse)

The only problem is I can't remember which rig has what compound ... I vaguely remember going soft (organic) in the back, hard (sintered or ceramic) in the front on a couple of the rigs.

What I have noticed is that it does powder up on the fork pretty noticeably (so maybe that was the organic).

Performance:
Seems soft and bites pretty hard ... I tend to modulate better as I can feel it bite ... as opposed to slide ... However, as above, not 100% sure which compound I have on ... so prolly the organic.

So far, so good ... I've got a few of you wanna try it out first Dave.