Hayes HFX-9 worth rebuilding?

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Hi gang.

I'm rebuilding a 2002 Yeti ARC for my wife, that I recently bought.

Although it was complete, I'm replacing plenty of parts.

The Hayes HFX-9s work, but the rear looks a bit of a mess (oil on calliper and pads).

I'm not fixed on staying retro/period, rather just want to get it up and running really nicely for the minimal cost.

Looking around, it seems I'll be $40 per end for a calliper seal kit, so reckon it's easily going to stack to $100-200 to get them back to running well.

Alternately I could spend a pit more for a low-end new set of brakes.

Or... I could spend same/bit more for a decent used set of brakes.

What do you reckon?

nathanm

Eats Squid
absolutely not, they were a poor quality brakes even for their day and basic level Shimano, which you can pick up for around $50 a set a way superior, plus the pads are around $6-8each to buy online from pushys.

Just bin them and do yourself and her a favour.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
You can always tell a rider that came from the school of Hayes ... masters in braking.

they know what’s what in braking.

self modulate or die ..
Whatever that is in Latin

safreek

You can always tell a rider that came from the school of Hayes ... masters in braking.

they know what’s what in braking.

self modulate or die ..
Whatever that is in Latin
I love the old Hayes and I didn't get bought up with them, just like the feeeeel

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Oh come off it. It’s one thing to say you like old frames and forks, but ain’t NO ONE believing you like Hayes brakes.
It's not the braking feel he likes, it's the roughness from the peeling paint and corrosion they all have.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk