Hayes leaking

spiked

Likes Bikes
Hey i was out riding today down a slight incline on me 03 stinky next minute i lose my rear hydraulic brakes. I pull up and notice that theres oil coming from the where the lever enters the main reservoir.Has anyone encountered this before?They are the cheaper hayes i think there called
HFX 9 HD.They should be covered under warranty and i think it might be just a seal thats blown but heh any info would be great?

mrbernie

Likes Bikes
Had a similiar problem once.. Turned out the cartridge inside the lever was screwed (the rubber "boot" on the catridge had a small rip and hence was leaking) - mind you, the rip was so small it was rather hard to see with the eye.

New cartridge solved the problem...

Dunno if that helps :)

bassmonkey

Likes Dirt
I just bought an 03 stinky a few weeks ago and had my rear brake shit itself after a couple of rides. Mine was leaking out of the caliper end somewhere, but I didn't really check it out too thoroughly. I just took it back to the shop and they replaced it. The dude at the shop didn't make it seem like it was too out of the ordinary, which is a bit of a concern.

I know that some peeps have had problems if the rear brake line is running through both of the rear guides. Aparently the brake line can sometimes break (not brake ; ) when the rear end gets to the bottom of its travel. Mine is set up with the brake line only running through the top guide and not the bottom one which works fine and will prevent the brake line from breaking that way.

Phew... it must be time to jam some breaks on the stereo after all that talk of brakes.

spiked

Likes Bikes
no worries

No worries guys thanx for your input ive sent the whole brake off for warranty so ill just have to wait for the verdict and the return of me rear brake.Hope it doesnt take too long should be good practise anyhows useing my front brake more.

spiked

Likes Bikes
no worries

No worries guys thanx for your input ive sent the whole brake off for warranty so ill just have to wait for the verdict and the return of me rear brake.Hope it doesnt take too long should be good practise anyhows useing my front brake more.

bazza

look at me
its good practice and a different experience not having rear brakes. teaches you to brake for corners and ride through them. that principal is harder than it seems though when you are going downhill. i was looking at getting those brakes to replace my old hayes. but i think i might go with the armours now....