Hayes stroker 4 pot parts

safreek

Good day my friends and sometimes antagonists, I am looking to extend the length of the hoses on a stroker 4 pot.

Any idea of where I can get connector bits for putting the hose back on caliper and lever or would it be possible to reuse the old ones. I am also assuming all hoses are the same size.

Need help before Moorey crucifies me for ugly hose syndrome

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You’ll need a new barb and olive. Check your LBS or google Hayes Stroker Ace olive/barb and see what pops up.

Edit: googling says they run the same olive/barb as El Camino, HFX-9 and so1e made by Hayes.

Last edited:

safreek

You’ll need a new barb and olive. Check your LBS or google Hayes Stroker Ace olive/barb and see what pops up.

Edit: googling says they run the same olive/barb as El Camino, HFX-9 and so1e made by Hayes.
Cheers man, I goOgLed stroker parts but forgot what the olive barbs were called

safreek

OK, seems barbie olive is easy to locate but have just read an article that there is a need to use Hayes specific hose, or Goodrich. Is this definitely true, if so, can I use an old hfx hose that may be long enough

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good day my friends and sometimes antagonists, I am looking to extend the length of the hoses on a stroker 4 pot.

Any idea of where I can get connector bits for putting the hose back on caliper and lever or would it be possible to reuse the old ones. I am also assuming all hoses are the same size.

Need help before Moorey crucifies me for ugly hose syndrome

Better than ugly hos syndrome.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Hayesy brakes have, as far as my memory extends, always used factory-fit swaged-on fittings at the caliper end, of course with a specific thread size, which subsequently limits your replacement hose options.

Bike brake hoses are pretty much all 5mm external diameter, but wall thickness & by extension bore diameter vary, which restricts barb insert compatibility. Similarly, the squashy-on olives are shaped to conform to certain master cylinder bodies when the compression nut is tightened, so they're fairly brand-specidic as well. As far as I'm aware, there are no connectors available to add an extension piece to a brake hose.

safreek

Hayesy brakes have, as far as my memory extends, always used factory-fit swaged-on fittings at the caliper end, of course with a specific thread size, which subsequently limits your replacement hose options.

Bike brake hoses are pretty much all 5mm external diameter, but wall thickness & by extension bore diameter vary, which restricts barb insert compatibility. Similarly, the squashy-on olives are shaped to conform to certain master cylinder bodies when the compression nut is tightened, so they're fairly brand-specidic as well. As far as I'm aware, there are no connectors available to add an extension piece to a brake hose.
cheers mate, bloody mtb specific parts. Going to buy a new hose
But why would you want to use Hazy brakes in the first place? :oops:
Honestly, they work for my riding and they look cool to me.

safreek

Man, when you ride as slow as me rim brakes are fine. Everyone has just gone softcock needing the flash working parts. Whatever happened to mtbers being hard, the old clunker dudes are probably laughing right now, unless they be making money from it.
Look at it like this, they have very fine climbing safety equipment these days. Some still choose to freeclimb. Simple as that really,all about fun dude fun

moorey

call me Mia
Whatever happened to mtbers being hard, the old clunker dudes are probably laughing right now, unless they be making money from it.
This is the bike of the dude telling me all about klunkers and the history of MTB, and how we all owe it to pioneers like us. He was too young to have ever Klunked, and his bike is…well…

safreek

I'm led to believe that the clunker dudes didn't wear helmets often, probably no falling rocks to worry about

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Honestly, they work for my riding and they look cool to me.
Ignore the brand snobs and haters

I used to run Hayes Comp, MAG, Purple's, HFX9 (yes I'm old) and never had any issues.

When I bought my Demo9 it had Hayes brakes as stock, I wanted to bling it up with at the time very expensive Avid Juicy 7 carbons and my god were they shit, fuck all bite and they made the most annoying noises to boot. I put the Hayes back on pronto and all was well again.

I'd happily run old Hayes on a bike over any stock entry level shitmano or avid setup.

safreek

Ignore the brand snobs and haters

I used to run Hayes Comp, MAG, Purple's, HFX9 (yes I'm old) and never had any issues.

When I bought my Demo9 it had Hayes brakes as stock, I wanted to bling it up with at the time very expensive Avid Juicy 7 carbons and my god were they shit, fuck all bite and they made the most annoying noises to boot. I put the Hayes back on pronto and all was well again.

I'd happily run old Hayes on a bike over any stock entry level shitmano or avid setup.
Glad someone agrees, I actually find they work quite well. I guess some people don't know how to feather brakes