Hays disc settup please help!?

MrPlow

TMBC
I want to change the brake setup on my new ride (see post yer ride) The lever has too much travel for my liking (I have a big paw). How do I...
a) get less travel outta the lever.
b) get the pads closer to the disc (doing the same thing)
c) some otherway to reduce the travel??

What does this do??? I could fiddle, but you guys are so smart :wink:

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, you can change the leaver reach of the hayes by turning the little bolt which is on the inside of hte leaver facing into the pod. This might help as a temp solution. That cap I "think" is the resivour. By the sounds of it you are wanting to put more fluid into the system. Take it to your nearest bike mechanic (be it your lbs or one of the boys place's) and get them to show you the ropes :)

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
another way to reduce the travel
is take the wheel off and pump the brake leaver
so that the pads get closer to each other but dont touch
then theyll self adjust to the new distance
when you put your wheel back in the pads are gonna be closer to the disk

ricky lee

Pro Rider
You can try getting a peice of paper and fold it in half and put a peice down each side of the disc between the disc and the pad then pull the lever several times, this will adjust the pad clearance.
Then get a No 2 allan key and adjust the allan key lug inside the lever in or out to get the desired position. (leave the paper in while you do it)
If this does not work as turley said go and see about getting them bled

duncan^kona

Likes Dirt
on the caliper it should have a allen key hole on the spoke side of the caliper, move that in so the pads come closer to the disc, oh wait, thats for mech...

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
man theres some dodgy brake adjusters here!!!

turley is pretty much on the money here, you need to adjust the bolt on the inside of the lever. i too have big hands so i have to wind my lever all the way out. but if you find that there is still too much 'stroke' in the lever, you'll really need to re-bleed them to do the job properly, not just a quick fix.

thats where the screw on the front of the lever comes into play, that is the bleeder cap, DONT undo it unless you are bleeding the system. its pretty easy to do, you can get a hayes bleed kit from the bike shop, but turf the bottle they give you and use a syringe, heaps better.

MrPlow

TMBC
Thanks everybody :D
Sounds like I need to bleed the brakes :?
Goto my LBS today anyway to get my new skid lid 8)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Chuck'r right. Because Hayes are an open system (thank god) they don't have a simple stroke adjustment. Having said that they're usually right about on the money (for me anyway). Actually, I really should bleed my brakes too, I've just got to see if I can get the chemist to give some more syringes.....

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
bleed those babies!!!!

hey wombat, its funny what you said about the syringes from the chemist, everytime i get one (every good toolbox should have one) they ask me all these dodgy questions like i'm a user or something - HELLO!! the syringe i have in my hand is the size of texas, what the fark do you think i'm gonna do with this????

wombat

Lives in a hole
Haha, I know what you mean. I had been getting them off my mate's dad (who was a RAAF dr.) but he got transferred to Canberra. Usually the local chemist is pretty good though, I just walk in in my work shirt and tell them that I need them for the shop.

jamo

Likes Dirt
if you squeeze the lever while the disc is out, doesnt if fuck everything up?? or is that just a myth. coz i put cardboard between my pads when i take the front wheel off.

true or false?

S.

ex offender
jamo said:
if you squeeze the lever while the disc is out, doesnt if fuck everything up?? or is that just a myth. coz i put cardboard between my pads when i take the front wheel off.

true or false?
It can make the discs need bleeding if you push it too far; ya gotta be very careful but I imagine it can be done.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I don't know about it making them need bleeding, but it can cause the pads to squeeze together (through the self adjusting feature) and make it impossible to get the rotors back in. I've done it, well it wasnt me that squeezed the lever, but it was me that had to fix it. I didn't end up bleeding them though, as it is possible to work the pads back into place provided you're careful and patient.

Oh, a tip for when you've got the wheel off, don't bother stuffing round with cardboard just slide in a 2 bob piece, works a charm and you should always have one handy; they can do this for your brakes, they can stop you from getting bored and you can gamble with them!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
chuckrockswell said:
bleed those babies!!!!

hey wombat, its funny what you said about the syringes from the chemist, everytime i get one (every good toolbox should have one) they ask me all these dodgy questions like i'm a user or something - HELLO!! the syringe i have in my hand is the size of texas, what the fark do you think i'm gonna do with this????
haha... both my folks r doctors so weve got shitloads of the things lying around... used to use the big assed ones a water pistols lol

MrPlow

TMBC
Thanks Guys, I actually had to drive from Toowoomba down to NRG Ipswich to get them bled, and new pads Front and back, Gor some High Roller Sow reezays while I was there too :wink:

jamo

Likes Dirt
wombat said:
Oh, a tip for when you've got the wheel off, don't bother stuffing round with cardboard just slide in a 2 bob piece, works a charm and you should always have one handy; they can do this for your brakes, they can stop you from getting bored and you can gamble with them!
heheheh oooook... whats a "2 bob piece"? i confused grately...

uuuumm explain?

wombat

Lives in a hole
jamo said:
heheheh oooook... whats a "2 bob piece"? i confused grately...

uuuumm explain?
Hahaha, thought that might happen; scary thing is, I'm not even old!

It's a 20 cent piece. (a "bob" being 10 cents).

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i live with a theatre nurse, so i got her to bring me back a butt load of irrigation syringes. load of 50ml plus a couple of 250ml, and a bunch of cardiac needles. really good for bleeding brakes, adding fork oil, washing hard to get at parts, and generaly scaring the hell out of people who are scared of injections :)