Heads up for a bargain Bronson bike!

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasn't that tariff concession revoked in 2014 that covered the 5%? It'd be good to know that's still in action!

I swear I ended up paying towards the end on all imported items. Maybe magellan didn't use it. :(
I brought in a frame from the UK last year duty free, most of the countries that we would be bringing bikes in as personal imports (us, uk etc) all have duty free concessions on bikes and frames (some more recent than others, so that could be key for you). If you paid incorrect dutys you should be able to claim them back, I occasionally have to clear a container with incorrect HS codes, once the correct paperwork is issued from the supplier you can claim duty back. I dont know how far back you can go though.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4ishK and no dropper (!!!), NX bits, Novatec hubs and low end Fox fork. Jeepers, you would have to really want that Santa Cruz logo...
Interesting that on Cambria Bike it has a Race Face dropper, haven't they shipped from places like Cambria to Aus for a long time? A bit more expensive at the moment but they often have deals on SC ($4366 AUD shipped for the Bronson AL R1)
I think the interesting spec item is the Level T brakes, surprised they would spec these on a Bronson I haven't ridden them but thought they were Sram's XC brake?

wavike

Likes Dirt
DB5's were total crap, something based on on a lower level must be.... very cheap!

Based on the DB3 gravity oriented brake design, SRAM Level brakes have been re-imagined with smaller levers and lighter weights. Delivering downhill stopping and control abilities in a XC sized package. SRAM Level T Disc Brakes. TRAIL TAMER. Taking advantage of 2015 World Mountain Bike Championship winning ...
SRAM’s new Level brakes bring technology from the brand’s Guide platform into a lighter, single-piston design. The new brake is intended for cross-country or mellow trail use.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
4k ish with shipping
plus gst
plus import duty
plus customs broker

I reckon add an additional 1k for good luck.

Still alright.
Not quite, I've just imported (2 weeks ago) an Evil Wrekoning Frame at $4200AUD including Shipping and insurance. They stung me $504 which was GST and Duty on the Frame, the shipping AND the insurance. Charging GST for insurance is bullshit I reckon.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You simply shouldn't have been charged duty and whoever did the clearance did a poor job.

https://i.imgur.com/hncA0bU.jpg

Considering you imported an Evil, Ill assume its from the states.

HS code is either 8714 or 8712 depending on what Evil put down, both are duty free.

https://ftaportal.dfat.gov.au/AUS/USA/search/bicycle
Shipping origin doesn't matter, its manufactured location for tariff determination. USA-AUS free trade agreement makes this an easy one you'd think. Hand made in the US of A sticker probably on the frame too.

Wasn't there a regular burner who was a customs clearance agent?

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shipping origin doesn't matter, its manufactured location for tariff determination. USA-AUS free trade agreement makes this an easy one you'd think. Hand made in the US of A sticker probably on the frame too.

Wasn't there a regular burner who was a customs clearance agent?
I made an assumption that evil is made in the states, if they're not then the choice of countries that it could come from is slim, probably taiwan. Which is also a duty free origin for bike frames...
Edit: maybe not on taiwan which would be odd.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I know most the frames I did were China/taiwan made so may explain the difference between us. Would of been pre China free trade agreement too.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You simply shouldn't have been charged duty and whoever did the clearance did a poor job.

https://i.imgur.com/hncA0bU.jpg

Considering you imported an Evil, Ill assume its from the states.

HS code is either 8714 or 8712 depending on what Evil put down, both are duty free.

https://ftaportal.dfat.gov.au/AUS/USA/search/bicycle
I wish that were the case. But I had to pay, here is the customs thingy they sent me.

Interestingly I see the code 8714 you mentioned. WTF????

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok so it would seem I paid GST NOT duty and an $83 customs entry fee. Either way it was a total of $501.20.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Can't see how this is a bargain at all?
He just got it yesterday. $4665.70 landed at his door
The two shops he spoke to offered him about 5% off and a bit under 8% off. Both wanted deposits, but neither would guarantee an actual delivery date. One even told him it's common for SC delivery dates to blow out