Headset advice

Maris

Likes Dirt
Ok i need a new headset for a Giant reign xo, never bought a new headset before and im wondering what the difference is.

As far as i know its just 2 cups and bearings, so im not sure why the price varies from $50 to $300? Is it just durability and weight or is there more to it and can anyone suggest something around the $100 to $150 mark?

Thanks for any help.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Ok i need a new headset for a Giant reign xo, never bought a new headset before and im wondering what the difference is.

As far as i know its just 2 cups and bearings, so im not sure why the price varies from $50 to $300? Is it just durability and weight or is there more to it and can anyone suggest something around the $100 to $150 mark?

Thanks for any help.
MacMahone sang royal headset: best and easiest headset to put on, split crown race. Smooth, lots of pretty colours and 96g.

Will be getting another one.

edit: your frame is intergrated so this headset wont work for your frame.

Last edited:

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Firstly there are different types of headsets..

Integrated Headsets: For frames with integrated head tube (bearing cups are built into frame)
Press Fit Headsets: For frames without integrated head tube, therefore the headset includes the bearing cups.

Be aware that there are 2 different types of integrated head tube...

Campy Spec: For integrated headset with 45 degree micro angular contact bearings
Cane Creek Spec: For integrated headset with 36 degree micro angular contact bearings

As far as I am aware the Giant Reign runs a Campy Spec integrated head tube so you will be looking for a integrated headset to suit.

Can a fellow reign owner confirm whether the headtube is campy or cane creek spec ?

As of yet I don't think Chris King make an integrated headset so that option is probably off the table.

I suggest a higher end FSA headset, FSA has been in the business for a while and they make good quality headsets. One of the reasons people like to spend massive amounts on headsets is for the bling factor but with an integrated headset there is no real need for bling because well there isn't much of the headset to be seen. So a good quality headset is a better choice over a blingy or fancy coloured one.

Have a chat with your local bike shop and see what they can do for you.. :)