Headset outer-diameter not matching the head tube diameter.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone ever encountered this? If so how did you fix it? This is the correct headset for the bike. It's going to shit me, the top of the head-tube is bare aluminium so it sticks out like dogs balls.

Cheers Scott.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
All I can see is your fingerprints on the Copperhead......I have a strong urge to grab a cloth and buff it for few hours.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
doesn’t look like right size top cup to me, is should come down & sit flush in that groove in headtube

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looks like the headset is semi integrated, also known as zero stack to me.

This photo from the park website has the top cup highlighted in red.

As poodle pointed out, a large headtube will have an OD that’s bigger then the top integrated cups.

A black pen is your friend. Would shit me too, but at least your frame manufacturer has dressed the face after painting it.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like the headset is semi integrated, also known as zero stack to me.

This photo from the park website has the top cup highlighted in red.

As poodle pointed out, a large headtube will have an OD that’s bigger then the top integrated cups.

A black pen is your friend. Would shit me too, but at least your frame manufacturer has dressed the face after painting it.

Yeah mate that's all correct. and sadly I think it will be a paint pen.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the tuning thicker gauge than your pivot? Or other frames?
maybe slightly. My Pivots are all Carbon though so I would assume it might be the other way round??? I got into Kim at Commencal and he said is normal. On my Pivots I’m using Pivit headsets so they match properly.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Same thing on my Nicolai's. It's just the facing on the tube, not really an issue, just means that there's more material around the headtube and they're using a thicker bit of aluminium. On my raw frame, didn't care; on my black frame, I got a pressure pack of black matte paint (to match) and gave it a quick squirt.
You should see a doctor if it’s black

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you have the right sized cup lips? Coming up short like that leads to an increased chance of deforming the cup and popping it out under the sort of pressure jumping and rock gardens cause. If it pings hard you'll likely ovalise the head tube. The wider head tube puts so much extra leverage on the headset lips.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have the right sized cup lips? Coming up short like that leads to an increased chance of deforming the cup and popping it out under the sort of pressure jumping and rock gardens cause. If it pings hard you'll likely ovalise the head tube. The wider head tube puts so much extra leverage on the headset lips.
Hey mate, yep it's definitely the right cup. I've heard from Commencal and they say it's normal so I'm ok with it. I painted it with a paint pen today.