Headsets - NFI what to buy or what I'm doing!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Great info, cheers
I've got the first type and bent one of the bearing retainers - a bearing fell out but I managed to stick it back in and (gently) bend the retainer back in. There's a Trek dealer near work I can go and chat to and see if they can help.
I was hoping I could get away with using the existing races for sealed bearings, but it looks like a whole new headset job, or the cheap version of a new set of lower bearings for the existing one.
@Rorschach I reckon I've got a 56mm loose ball bearing in a race you can have. I'll check and let you know.

PJO

in me vL comy
Its the lower one :rolleyes:
Might just order a new 44/56mm one and have a go at it myself, plenty of blocks of wood I can use to help me knock the cups out and in. Worst case, LBS gets some money from my DIY ineptitude
Given that you managed to get it together and operating keep riding it.
Like @Labcanary I also might have one somewhere but it will take a bit of looking to find it. I may have binned it because the last time I remember seeing it was a few years ago, will have a look on the weekend...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Thread necro.

As above, I've mushed the bearing cage on my headset and I really need to fix it before I ride it again, and as I've bought a new frame I'm not planning to put a whole new headset in
Are all bearing cages for a 1-1/8 fork built the same? Or do I need a specific one?
Hoping I can just buy a set of these, grease 'em up and away we go?

1 1/8 Headset Bearings | Headset Bearing | Bike Parts - Velogear

Rorschach

So its a ZS as above, have a read at this https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-headsets/

It sits in the frame in cups as in picture of your link below ?

It will be ZS44 top (circled yellow) and one of the bottom 3 (circled red)

If you need the bottom you will need to measure it, if you need the top it should be an easy fix.

All Trek shops carry spares for both... or they usually do anyway.

View attachment 377199

View attachment 377198
Cheers for that, the more I read about headsets the more I get confused!
I'll give my local Trek dealer a call and see if they can help me

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maybe they can't they only sell the whole headset and can't tell me the size of the lower bearing :rolleyes:
They'll know what size it is, take the stuffed one in and get them to match it. They might have some second-hand spares off warranty frames, you could pick one up for a few bucks instead of a full headset at Trek spare prices.

I got some flip-chips a few weeks ago that came off a warranty frame for $20 instead of $45 for new.

Rorschach

They'll know what size it is, take the stuffed one in and get them to match it. They might have some second-hand spares off warranty frames, you could pick one up for a few bucks instead of a full headset at Trek spare prices.

I got some flip-chips a few weeks ago that came off a warranty frame for $20 instead of $45 for new.
The guys going to call me back. If I get a chance I'll pull the one off my bike later and take it in.
I'm tempted to just buy these on the offchance they'll fit

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If it's the top bearing cage that's munted a new one should be readily available from any LBS. The lower, larger one may be more difficult to find.

Sealed cartridge bearings will not fit the existing cups. If you want to change the whole headset, knock the cups out and measure the top & bottom internal diameters of the head tube; 44mm upper & 56mm lower will be most likely, then find a complete headset that fits.
& if you are going to knock the cups out, use a proper cup removal tool.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
The guys going to call me back. If I get a chance I'll pull the one off my bike later and take it in.
I'm tempted to just buy these on the offchance they'll fit
really?....the chances of any modern bike manufacturer still using open ball and cage bearings is very slim!
its pretty simple, as seen in this clear and easy to read diagram

Attachments