Heckler V3.0

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
What can I say, love this frame :) . Some new bling, new bearing all round - better than new. Thanks to everyone who helped me get it to here. Alot of its second hand through the farkin forums… and a big thanks goes out to Grip (from, like umm Gripsport) , Kerry, Bert and the crew at PhantomCycles for putting up with me.

Frame 1996 Santa Cruz Heckler. Rear brake mounts by Gripsport.
Rear Shock Manitou Swinger Air 4-way (thanks peto)
Forks Fox Vanilla RLC (thanks scottmeister)
Brakes Shimano XT 4 pot, 6” rotors f/r (thanks Cave Dweller¬)
F/Wheel Aireal Hub Mavic 729 rim
R/Wheel Hadley DSH R5.0 Mavic 729 Rim (Thanks - TransitionPete)
Cranks Shimano XTR
R/Derailleur Shimano XT (Thanks Toxic)
F/Derailleur Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano XT 2007 (thanks phantomcycles)
Seatpost DMR (thanks phantomcycles)
Pedals Really old Shimano SPD’s

Close up of Grips work... so nice

Last edited:

ruskoo

Likes Dirt
The disc brake mount looks so pro. Nice bike.
Even such an old heckler.. still looks so nice.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has the rear triangle been modified at all (apart from the obvious disc mounts)? Those pedals must really be old, to be called peddles.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
rear triangle is completely stock other than grips work, and thanks for pointing out my obvious stupidity.

starship303

Likes Dirt
wow, looks good. so i'm presuming this is the third time its been rebuilt then? how did the 4-way swinger effect the ride?

Grips work looks so factory too. Nice job...out of curiousity what was the charge if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted to get it done to my Tazmon. Did you get the rear triangle cut back too? Looks rather shiny.

Anyway, very tidy. Keep the old skool going _Ham! :cool:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Whoa, such a coincidence that I was reading a mega old '96 "Mountain Bike World" magazine the other day that featured that bike... Vintage gold mate :cool:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Thanks everyone for the comments...

Dudley - yeah, I thin the head angle is a bit steep compared to modern bikes, doesnt really feel it though... it did come with 80mm forks originally.

Starship - yeah, its the third incarnation of my heckler... cant help myself. The rear triangle came polished from the factory, and a bit of mothers polishing paste and it still comes up like a mirror. Grip charges less than 200 and the work is spec, give him a call nice guy easy to chat to. The fourway is bloody amazing (compared to fox vanilla) and is so easy to set up badly..... but Ive finally got it set up so nice. Takes time'

MattH - Can I get a copy of that mag? Seriously, scans, photocopy? Telepathy?

TransitionPete - got phantom to order the QR kit, was cheaper than I expected... though cant remember how much, and not too much trouble to install... thanks again for the wheel...sounds so cool !

once again, thanks to everyone who has helped me get it here... just about time for a night ride on her too....

spanky ham

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Threadcromancy

I met the owner, and this bike today erm, yesterday. It still looks just as good too. The crazy bastard made me take it home. On loan ...............

until he cracks and sells it to me?

It has a bit of weight to it ..... but damn nice to ride

Can't find any Rock Shox on it .... seatpost clamp fell apart when I opened it, so I replaced with the only one I had the right size.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The disc mount is nicely done. I have a similar vintage Heckler frame that needs to be built up again one day.

I still ride my 2000-ish Big Blue one pretty regularly. I just enjoy riding it.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
The disc mount is nicely done. I have a similar vintage Heckler frame that needs to be built up again one day.

I still ride my 2000-ish Big Blue one pretty regularly. I just enjoy riding it.
The disc mount looks factory. I've only bike pathed and gravel roaded it so far, until I'm confident with the suspension setup, but it has impressed me in a big way already. So nice to ride.
Is you blue one on here?