Heemskirk trails (Zeehan)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Rode the new Zeehan “Silver City” trail full black loop yesterday. I must say, it’s an epic ride. Not as raw as Queenstow, but much nicer flow and a real backcountry feel. The black loop was about 43km from car park and return and around 1200m of climbing. It’s a really big ride so I took my Levo SL and rode with a mate that does a lot of crazy distance riding on his Scott Ransom. I rode the first half either off or in eco to save some battery but towards the summit I did need to boot up into trail setting to get up the brutal final push to the summit.
From the top it’s a steep but manageable descent, with a few steep chutes and tight switchbacks before levelling out and becom more undulating. Once you rejoin the blue it seems to be a never ending climb back to the original green Oonah trail. This was where I had to rely on using the trail assistance setting most of the time and even had to stop to stave off cramping in both thighs.
Once to the top of Oonah hill and we tipped into the descent, all aches and pains melted away as that section of trail once you enter the tea tree forest is such a roller coaster ride before spitting you out into the car park.
We then went into town for the bbq and speeches before heading back to the trail head for the official ribbon cutting.
It’s definitely one of those “must ride places“ but pack your best peddling legs or an Ebike if you want to do the black loop. I’ll def be heading back sometime soon :cool:
587F81EF-FF96-4D8E-B788-202777147AB3.jpeg

PJO

in me vL comy
Fantastic! Can't wait. Not sure if my legs are up for it but keen to give a try.

Stredda

Looks like it was a spectacular day too @Stredda - definitely putting this one on the bucket list.
Yep, we certainly were lucky with the weather, 19 degrees, sunny in the morning, a bit of cloud cover midday and sunny in the afternoon. Couldn't have asked for better riding weather. :D

Fantastic! Can't wait. Not sure if my legs are up for it but keen to give a try.
I reckon if you paced yourself, packed some food, had a few breaks along the way and allowed 4 to 6 hours to comfortably do the full loop, you'll be alright. For me, just doing the blue loop was kind of a waste as all the really cool stuff is on the black loop.

Stredda

That flat topped hill is where we were heading. You can see the descent down the ridgeline.
F74D21B0-8827-4877-9FFD-B94684F23F2D.jpeg

This is where the blue loop departs from the green loop.
DEF24099-F791-43B7-9924-99E8BCC5D5DB.jpeg

The Piney Creek crossing.
2C082430-0941-4DE8-86A8-482F8E013030.jpeg

The very highest point, Galena Peak!
37578F7E-A594-496C-B077-C59E32F0D140.jpeg

The amazingly constructed section up to Galena Peak called The Crucible.
DE6C8A55-6C96-434D-8968-C085E7B63FA5.jpeg

Last edited:

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Myself and a few mates (all Hobart locals) headed over west last week and took in all of Queenstown and Zeehan’s finest, including this absolutely epic backcountry ride. Can attest to it being a real leg zinger (particularly the last couple of k’s to the peak) but wow the descent off Galena Peak was absolutely unreal - I think amplified by the feeling of being so isolated and the ridiculous views - and the whole ride was up there with my most enjoyable days on a bike ever.

To any Tas locals I highly recommend you make the trek over to the West Coast, it’s like nothing else in Tas. And to our mainland visitors, make sure you include this on your itinerary, I promise you won’t e disappointed.

Stredda

Myself and a few mates (all Hobart locals) headed over west last week and took in all of Queenstown and Zeehan’s finest, including this absolutely epic backcountry ride. Can attest to it being a real leg zinger (particularly the last couple of k’s to the peak) but wow the descent off Galena Peak was absolutely unreal - I think amplified by the feeling of being so isolated and the ridiculous views - and the whole ride was up there with my most enjoyable days on a bike ever.

To any Tas locals I highly recommend you make the trek over to the West Coast, it’s like nothing else in Tas. And to our mainland visitors, make sure you include this on your itinerary, I promise you won’t e disappointed.
Totally agree. It's an epic ride. You really have to do the full black loop but it's a bloody solid loop!

Are you hinting they should bring an e-bike? ;)
I have heard of a few that have done it on Ebikes and have severely underestimated their range and have been left on the side of the trail in a world of exhaustion and cramps after their batteries have gone flat. lol
Admittedly I rode the full black loop on my Levo SL but I was very conservative with the assistance, just to be sure that I had some backup on the way out. Rode most of the first half with the motor either off or on eco for some of the pinches but I was glad to have some backup on the way out as my legs were starting to cramp up. I had 60% battery left by the end of it. Mind you the guy I was riding with was on a 170mm travel Ransom and he came back a few days later and did two laps, but he is a freak :p .

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Are you hinting they should bring an e-bike? ;)
Haha. Like Stredda said in his earlier post the last few kms before you finally get back to Oonah Hill seem to be never ending, but none of that’s too steep, just spinning away thinking of the post rode beers (or spiced rums in our case).

One of my mates was on an ebike - he was pretty conscious of conserving juice on the way out and ended up with decent bit to spare I think.

Stredda

Took my brother for his first taste of West Coast gravel today. This time full meat powered.
Forgot to take some Nurofen before head out and my back was giving me a lot of grief on the slog back to the trailhead. Other than that we had a pleasant 23 degrees, a nice cool breeze and sunshine.:cool:
They have finished the Crucible section since I was there for opening day and that was pretty brutal and cool at the same time. Such an epic ride.

IMG_3371.jpeg

Old school, 27.5 is where it’s at! lol

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3373.jpeg

Once you go Black there’s no turning back!

IMG_3377.jpeg

This section was nice and technical, but bloody tough going when you hit a steep pinch and you are already on the redline!

IMG_3376.jpeg

This view and the descent off it makes it all worth it!