Helicoil Crank Arms?

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Any rotorburners talented with helicoil installation? I’ve got a sram descendant carbon crankarm that has the pedal thread stripped and wouldn’t mind getting it helicoiled to keep as a backup.
Happy to pay all expenses incurred and postage.
Cheers

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not sure how you will go helicoiling an insert in a carbon arm. Good luck. LBS might be worth a try too.

moorey

call me Mia
Isn’t it reverse thread to a helicoil anyway?

Also....you’re only trying to fix something that will snap and kill you soon anyway, like all the others.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Isn’t it reverse thread to a helicoil anyway?

Also....you’re only trying to fix something that will snap and kill you soon anyway, like all the others.
You can get reverse helicoils. Abit exy though, notnirmally an on the shelf item either

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You don't need to tap the carbon, they have metal inserts for the pedals. LBS doesn't have the gear.
Which is why I used the word insert in my reply. The insert is bonded to the carbon. Retapping will put load on that bond. Maybe.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Which is why I used the word insert in my reply. The insert is bonded to the carbon. Retapping will put load on that bond. Maybe.
50% chance of success at best I feel.

I also have a shagged carbon sram crank, some prick scammed me. I should have looked closer at them considering it was a night time transaction. 50% of the thread is gone, should probably just super stud lock a pedal in and use on the trainer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Are the original crank inserts really thin ? other than that I can't see why you can't tap a thread in the insert for the helicoil. I've installed thousands of them over the years. If you know how to tap properly you can do it with minimal load on the crank arm.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The alu inserts have a lot of meat to them. That's one of the reasons why the carbon cranks are not that light. Helicoil shouldn't be a problem. The torque of retapping for the helicoil will be insignificant compared to riding.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
This is right up there on my list of things that make me feel uncomfortable.
I won't be putting the cranks back on my bike, I'd just rather have them functioning in case I'm ever in a pinch and need a set of cranks asap. Its better than tossing a $400 set of cranks. But like SummitFever said the inserts have plenty of meat on them, it should be fine

stirk

Burner
I wonder if you'll ever trust a 'spare' that's flawed. After seeing a bloke fall hard and nearly die I'd not trust a dodgy fix on such a critical part. We ride fast so ask if you'd do the same fix on a motorbike or car part that is subjected to high loads.

slowmick

38-39"
Have torn the metal insert out of the end of an X0 carbon crank. It is not as big as you think. The failure was my own fault as i had a huge pedal strike shortly weeks before hand.

The insert came out landing a jump and the pedal disappeared into the bushes. I don't recommend it. I'd chalk it up to experience, buy yourself $150 of alloy cranks and then promptly forget all about cranks all together.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Have torn the metal insert out of the end of an X0 carbon crank. It is not as big as you think...
Provided there is sufficient material that the enlarged helicoil threads are still in the alu then the helicoil repair will be significantly stronger than the original insert. You're replacing alu with steel. There is no special voodoo or magic involved. All the information is provided by the manufacturer so no guesswork is involved:

Helicoils are not only used for thread repair. They are often used to increase strength where there are size constraints on bolt diameter.

Also, tearing the insert out of a carbon crank just shows that the carbon part of the crank is crap.

The only reason not to do it is if cost and effort make it uneconomical.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
I wonder if you'll ever trust a 'spare' that's flawed. After seeing a bloke fall hard and nearly die I'd not trust a dodgy fix on such a critical part. We ride fast so ask if you'd do the same fix on a motorbike or car part that is subjected to high loads.
It's not uncommon for car mechanics to tap new threads

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I worked at the AFS factory for about 3 years making these helicoil things. My specific project was to test whether you could make helicoil work for carbon applications with some changes to the design. You can do it reliably, but my guess would be to avoid any thin wall applications and/or high stiffness layups, which cranks I would classify as.