Hello from South Africa

peyperj

Cannon Fodder
Hi all, I am from Durbanville Western Cape, South Africa.
Newbie to this sport. Used to ride a few trails in the UK many moons ago and still own a GT Avalanche 1.0,its about 8 years old.
I want to get into mtb and make use of what Durbanville has to offer on mtb tracks and trails.
Not looking to become competitive or anything like that right from the start. Just for having fun, enjoying the outdoors and ride with mates and family. Also to become a better rider along with way.
I Would like to purchase another mtb and make the right decision right from the start if that is possible. So I will be following all forums to strengthen my knowledge.

Cheers guys

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

SARED

Squid
Hi all, I am from Durbanville Western Cape, South Africa.
Newbie to this sport. Used to ride a few trails in the UK many moons ago and still own a GT Avalanche 1.0,its about 8 years old.
I want to get into mtb and make use of what Durbanville has to offer on mtb tracks and trails.
Not looking to become competitive or anything like that right from the start. Just for having fun, enjoying the outdoors and ride with mates and family. Also to become a better rider along with way.
I Would like to purchase another mtb and make the right decision right from the start if that is possible. So I will be following all forums to strengthen my knowledge.

Cheers guys

Welcome to Rotorburn... a really awesome group with lots of amazing info.

I suggest you join Tygerburg MTB club, then you have access to Meerendal, Bloemendal, Hillcrest, Hoogekraal, Majikforest, Contermanskloof, Welvanpas in Wellington. 134km of trails... best training you will ever need.

If you feel like night rides: Meerendal on a Tuesday eve and Bloemendal on a Thursday evening both at 7pm in summer and 18:30 in winter.

Take your Drivers license and go ride for free at Koeberg Nature reserve.

Join Pedal Power Assosiation (PPA) and start riding their MTB funrides.

I stay in Parklands, use to cycle to The Tygerberg trails but they started bikejacking cyclist around Du Nuun informal setlement, so now i drive the 10km to the trails.

Chris Willemse Cycles and Evo Bikes have the best prices and everything you might need.

Regards S

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Welcome mate.

You should also hit up Jonkershoek and Coetzenberg in Stellies for some great trails. Bottleray is pretty nice too. I used to ride those mainly, occasionally Welvenpas and the network built by Dirtopia at Delvera.

Missing some of that riding now back in Aus, but it really got me addicted over there.

Guessing you’ve also jumped on bikehub? Guys there will sort you out with pointers to secondhand deals and better shops around northern suburbs.

Cheers!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Welcome to Rotorburn... a really awesome group with lots of amazing info.

I suggest you join Tygerburg MTB club, then you have access to Meerendal, Bloemendal, Hillcrest, Hoogekraal, Majikforest, Contermanskloof, Welvanpas in Wellington. 134km of trails... best training you will ever need.

If you feel like night rides: Meerendal on a Tuesday eve and Bloemendal on a Thursday evening both at 7pm in summer and 18:30 in winter.

Take your Drivers license and go ride for free at Koeberg Nature reserve.

Join Pedal Power Assosiation (PPA) and start riding their MTB funrides.

I stay in Parklands, use to cycle to The Tygerberg trails but they started bikejacking cyclist around Du Nuun informal setlement, so now i drive the 10km to the trails.

Chris Willemse Cycles and Evo Bikes have the best prices and everything you might need.

Regards S
Says the man who rides with a loaded pistol. Can't imagine falling off the MTB with a loaded pistol in close proximity. There have been bikes of mine in the past I would have shot in anger.

Just not something we have to worry about over here in the land of Aus.

peyperj

Cannon Fodder
Thanks SARED and droenn.
Yes, I would join Tygerberg mtb club.
I'm looking at buying from BestBike in Durbanville (Trek Fuel EX 8) not sure if should go for 27.5 plus or 29er.
Yes, I'm already on the Hub.

Cheers guys

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Says the man who rides with a loaded pistol. Can't imagine falling off the MTB with a loaded pistol in close proximity. There have been bikes of mine in the past I would have shot in anger.

Just not something we have to worry about over here in the land of Aus.
Yeah there are quite a few guys that ride with a gun in SA. Its always a good debate. I’m on the hand over everything and walk away side. Something I don’t miss about the place!

SARED

Squid
Unless you are really short, just buy a dual suspention 29er. Or just buy both. Those sales people all have bikes, so ask them to lend you there bikes and go ride, feel the difference, then decide.

Having 2inches machined down on my .22short makes it very light, very small, totally concealable. More noise than punch.

Fortunately i am not prepared to just bow down to evil, this calibre is more of a scare, but it helps on those long desolated alone rides.... pepper spray just don’t scare them any more.

Enjoy