Helmet lifespan?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I've had a Giant Rail for just over 4 years with no major crashes. Do helmets have a best before date and should I think about replacing it or am I good to keep it until I fancy a new one?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
it's your head, and your image..do what you think is best.
is the helmet showing any signs of wear, as UV and sweat will slowly break it down without you even noticing
Don't you have a nice new bike build on the way, and a nice shiny new Henty Enduro pack too.....New Helmet Time, Close thread!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hi all,

I've had a Giant Rail for just over 4 years with no major crashes. Do helmets have a best before date and should I think about replacing it or am I good to keep it until I fancy a new one?
I replace mine every couple of years.
As my helmets are more xc/ road style the exposed foam breaks down with exposure to sunlight.
Also being here in CBR during Sept/ Oct they take a battering from magpies

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I need a lid that suits a narrow head, any brands come to mind?
my ixs trail helmet is narrower than both my giro montaro & bell super 3r, it only just fits on my head width wise- but i don’t think many suppliers sell the helmets here now, mtbdirect only has the clothes stuff, no lids

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I need a lid that suits a narrow head, any brands come to mind?
I’ve got an oval shaped head @ 58cm which means I’m regularly on the cusp of M and L sizes and have always found Medium Specialized helmets to be the best shape and fit. Giro comes second but I find their fit more model-specific so have to try on, where I can reliably buy a size M Spec helmet and know it’ll fit.

That said my current MTB helmet is Giro Montaro because the Spec Ambush was just too $$ at the time. I really like it and it’s comfortable but I’m right on the edge of it being too small fore-aft.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
MIPS is definitely for me - The Giro and Specialized range look good and the two shops that stock them are opposite each other. Let's hope they have stock!

Giro Montaro, Specialized Ambush or the Fox Speedframe methinks!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I have a giro montaro. It sits quite high (not helped by my dreads), but is very comfortable, functional and light.

When I buy again I will get a fox flux. Got one for my lad. Cheap (almost always on special), and fits all the other criteria as with the giro, with the added bonus that it sits lower.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I retired a Specialized Tactic from 2013/14 in April, no major falls onto it, it was just looking tired and probably time to move on.

Typically just pick up helmets on special - got a TLD A1 Mips for $98 to replace it. Bell Super was similar deal in 2016, still have it as a second helmet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I replace after a crash where there is any helmet damage at all, including my kids which is an expensive exercise. My TLD A2 is maybe 2 years old and has never even scuffed from a crash... though other body parts have while wearing it.

Got a few others, Proframe has no crashes to its name but my road/gravel/bikepacking helmet is a Kask Protone, a quick search on Gmail says its 9/16 so 4 years old and never been in a crash, I will not be changing it anytime soon.

Had a couple in the many years of riding where they have not seen much use including a shiny new Fox Flux around 2010 where I dented it in 3 places and scuffed the shit out of it on the maiden voyage.... not a good feeling but whats your head worth.

If you look at it and think it's looking tatty and needs an update, then do it.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
I actually asks the question of a company once. They said should replace every 3 years
After 2 years I start looking for one on sale. Between the sweat, the heat, the cold, the sun, any accidental drops, or rolling around in the back seat, and the smell (riding 2-3 times a week) I figure having something to protect my brain is worth replacing sooner rather than later.