Helmets

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
OK, so the search function sucks and I can't find a decent thread on this; I had an off last weekend and pinged my helmet covered melon off a rock, enough for it to make me woozy. So, new helmet time. Ordinarily I'd head out and buy the exact same model but I can't find a non-black (yeah heat) Giro Xar anymore.

I like the look of the iXS Trail RS, but I can't work out if it is AS certified. I love the fit and retention of my old Xar, so I'd imagine it's replacement, the Montaro, is similar. Other than that I'm not looking for black, and not looking for a chin guard / convertible like the Super 2r et al.

No real budget here, I know I end up using my lid for it's actual purpose eventually. Anyone got any other thoughts on an open face trail lid that isn't hot, and doesn't look shockingly weird?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've tried on the Montaro...most comfy lid I've ever tried on. It's on my wishlist when a new one is due.
Can't offer anymore info than that tho....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Get one that fits your head/Melon properly, and has good venting. Certain brands will suit your head shape and others just wont. You really have to try them on.

I found Fox flux good for venting, slightly better than my current Bell Super 2R, but the Bell has better coverage and a profile with no real sharp edges or 'exhaust fins' etc to catch on the ground when you go OTB and plow the ground with your head, IMO. The Visor on the Bell is substantial.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do they still do the XAR?
Keen on the Chronicle or Montaro if they fit my melon, I've found a few giros that fit, and other's that don't. Spec Ambush is also high on my list.
MtbDirect, and a few others,offer no cost refunds if it doesn't fit if you're in the boondocks, otherwise best bet is to try a few on.

You ruled out black because of the heat effect. Not sure where you are, but I'd be interested if there was much in that - I'd have thought a black helmet with good ventilation would be cooler than a white helmet with poor ventilation (off road - I use a white helmet on the road for visibility)

BT180

Max Pfaff
If you kike the Xar, you'll love the Montaro. I bought one this year. It's so comfy, has mips and won't break the bank.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Even amongst brands, some models will have different fit to others. My MET Parabellum does not fit as good as my Kaos. It fits right, just not as good as the Kaos did.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
I've tried on the Montaro...most comfy lid I've ever tried on.
If you kike the Xar, you'll love the Montaro. I bought one this year. It's so comfy, has mips and won't break the bank.
I figured as much. I think I'll trundle down to the LBS and try one out although I'm pretty confident they'll fit the same as the Xar.

Do they still do the XAR?
I believe it was discontinued when the Montaro was released, but local stocks started drying up in 2015, especially in medium. Just checked the Giro site and it's no longer there.

moman

Likes Dirt
I have a montaro and would definitely recommend it if its .

FYI maybe the black XAR could be an option.....

Is black cooler than white?
The black clothing absorbs both solar radiation and radiation from the body. The air in the immediate vicinity is heated, then efficiently transported away by the wind. This is slightly better than white fluffy/loose fitting clothing, which reflects more sunlight and radiation from the body.
thermodynamics - Is "dark clothes for winter, light for summer" relevant ...
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-clothes-for-winter-light-for-summer-relevant

Although if there is no wind or your helmet is skin tight then I'd go white ;)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Thread dig. Better for the environment to not build a whole new one.

Picked up a Giro Chronicle a month and a half ago. So comfy for me but fark it’s a like it’s got an open tap up there running down my forehead.

I’ve heard the Specialized Ambush has good venting, but it doesn’t look all that ‘holey’ in photographs.

Any suggestions for a hotter climate (Qld) helmet with decent coverage for me search out to try on?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

Picked up a Giro Chronicle a month and a half ago. So comfy for me but fark it’s a like it’s got an open tap up there running down my forehead.

I’ve heard the Specialized Ambush has good venting, but it doesn’t look all that ‘holey’ in photographs.

Any suggestions for a hotter climate (Qld) helmet with decent coverage for me search out to try on?
I'm using a Fox F1C, which I've noticed is a lot cooler than any I've used in the past. I think it's been superseded now.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will say that the Bell Super Air I'm running at the moment is very noticeably cooler than the Giro Montaro I had before.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

My last two helmets have both been Specialized Ambush. I've found nothing runs as cool as these helmets and they are super comfy too. My experience with helmets in SEQLD from coolest to hottest

Ambush
Chronicle
POC Tectal Race Spin, TLD A2 and AStars Vector about the same
TLD A1

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My Giant Rail has massive air channels and in the 45°+ days we've had the last couple of years I haven't noticed my head being any hotter than the rest of me

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

agree on the environment thing - its polystyrene not some magical bit of gear that hides all its damage, anyway, take the reviwes with a grain of salt, Ive got the Ambush - it doesnt live up to the coolness hype - certainly no better than my previous Giro hex.

all helmets are hot AF unless you are JRA at 25kmh - maybe we need some sort of freezeable helmet skin on the market

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My last two helmets have both been Specialized Ambush. I've found nothing runs as cool as these helmets and they are super comfy too. My experience with helmets in SEQLD from coolest to hottest

Ambush
Chronicle
POC Tectal Race Spin, TLD A2 and AStars Vector about the same
TLD A1
shit, if the chronicle is the 2nd coolest I’m in trouble !

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the reality is all venting relies on either a certain speed or wind, most all helmets when mtb’ing in s forest which obscured wind is going to result in a hot head. i have light weight aero roadie helmet, apart from being lighter your head sweats just as much

creaky

XMAS Plumper
the reality is all venting relies on either a certain speed or wind, most all helmets when mtb’ing in s forest which obscured wind is going to result in a hot head. i have light weight aero roadie helmet, apart from being lighter your head sweats just as much
I certainly find a roadie style helmet cooler on mtb rides, presumably simply due to the greater open area.

This looks good with the ‘brow’ ventilation slot, but holy shit the price:

https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/bell-super-air-mips-helmet

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Update: Just ordered a Bell Sixer Nips thingy from Pushys on sale.

Looks much more open on top than the Giro + has a 'brow slot' and 'sweat channeling' or something. Will report back.