Helmets

phillynight

Likes Dirt
anyone have thoughts on convertible helmets? I'm in the market and trying to decide which way to go...

The Leatt Enduro v22 seems nice and gets decent reviews, but from what I can read that with the chinbar removed it's bulky and goofy anyways.

OR

just keep using my current halfshell for chill trails and get a separate TLD Stage FF (which almost everyone loves) when I am on sketchier stuff like Bright/FC/Etc

What would you guys recommend?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
When did TLD get so brazen with their pricing on helmets? A Stage is now $520! I paid maybe $300 for mine about 12 months ago. Stage is a great helmet, the only negative I found are those cheek/ear pads can get annoying after a while.

New Specialized Gambit helmet is out. Lighter than the Stage and cheaper too.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
anyone have thoughts on convertible helmets? I'm in the market and trying to decide which way to go...

The Leatt Enduro v22 seems nice and gets decent reviews, but from what I can read that with the chinbar removed it's bulky and goofy anyways.

OR

just keep using my current halfshell for chill trails and get a separate TLD Stage FF (which almost everyone loves) when I am on sketchier stuff like Bright/FC/Etc

What would you guys recommend?
They will never replace a proper full face. More of an in between option. I put the Fox Proframe and Met parachute into that category too.

In saying that I've enjoyed using my Bell Super 3 and Met parachute, but have kept a Fox Rampage Pro for proper dh.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

bobob

Has $20
I know 2 people that crashed while wearing the Proframe, they won't buy them again. While they are supposed to be destroyed in the crash, in reflection, they went with something beefier. The third guy was happy to buy another Proframe, and his helmet looked OK to reuse, while the others were mangled. Always hard to assess if you can reuse a helmet after a crash, seen many destroyed though. I wear a halfnut way too much, a Proframe has to be better than that.

Look after your heads people.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I know 2 people that crashed while wearing the Proframe, they won't buy them again. While they are supposed to be destroyed in the crash, in reflection, they went with something beefier. The third guy was happy to buy another Proframe, and his helmet looked OK to reuse, while the others were mangled. Always hard to assess if you can reuse a helmet after a crash, seen many destroyed though. I wear a halfnut way too much, a Proframe has to be better than that.

Look after your heads people.
Just curious @bobob - did they 2 that replaced the Proframes suffer any injuries due to failure of the helmet? Or just weren't comfortable with the amount of damage/deformation?

bobob

Has $20
@beeb one got knocked out, was a nasty crash, hard to say. They no longer feel comfortable in the lighter helmets, once that's in your head, hard to shake it. The Proframe does have the banana hole feature, so you do not need to take it off to eat or drink which is cool.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb one got knocked out, was a nasty crash, hard to say. They no longer feel comfortable in the lighter helmets, once that's in your head, hard to shake it. The Proframe does have the banana hole feature, so you do not need to take it off to eat or drink which is cool.
Always an interesting balance with this type of stuff. Personally, if I "only" got KO'd but didn't have any fractures or cuts even if the helmet was a write-off, I'd be (relatively) stoked that the helmet did its job well.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
When did TLD get so brazen with their pricing on helmets? A Stage is now $520! I paid maybe $300 for mine about 12 months ago. Stage is a great helmet, the only negative I found are those cheek/ear pads can get annoying after a while.

Same for me. Got my Stage on. sale from Merlin and it was only about $250. Great helmet I reckon. Can't see how/why it's so expensive now though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Same for me. Got my Stage on. sale from Merlin and it was only about $250. Great helmet I reckon. Can't see how/why it's so expensive now though.
Several months back all the online sellers were told that no more helmets to be shipped to Australia as they didn't have the proper AS/NZ certification or whatever they call it now.

I know of only 2 sellers that it appears will still ship helmets but the rest of them have stopped.

Annnnnd... the result may be possibly a hike in helmet prices for Aussies.