Helmets

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Yeah I think I am really leaning towards the TLD at this stage (yep)... That's interesting about the certification thing, I will have to start bargain hunting, spending over 500 is just crazy

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah I think I am really leaning towards the TLD at this stage (yep)... That's interesting about the certification thing, I will have to start bargain hunting, spending over 500 is just crazy
I have a TLD D3 sitting in my Pushys cart, waiting on a 10% code ;)

Fakkers have not done a code in a long time.

One of #2 sons chrissy presents, can't hang around too much longer in case it needs a size exchange.

ozzybmx

New helmet a couple of days ago, only took Aramex 26 days to deliver it.

Ridden 50km and 1100vm in it over the past 2 days in warmish weather.

Mini review summary, fckn awesome :)

I had the A2 since May 2018 and it was a great helmet.

The A3 is all the things the A2 was and has addressed all the small gripes and issues.

Good things over the A2..

• Does not interfere with glasses arms (my biggest issue), used to push sunnies down on the bridge of my nose when descending.
  • Better internal fit for those with a rounder head (and no hair)
  • Sweat wiper on the front
  • Straps now attach to the inside of the helmet rather than being strung from the outside so glasses arms can go over the straps (I usually ride with them over but I clearly have them under in todays picture)
  • Comes with 2 sets of liners, 6mm and 12mm thick
  • Comes with spare wipers, velcro dots and screws for visor
  • Better head coverage at the rear
  • Visor pushes right up
  • Fidlock closer
  • 3 position rear cradle
The not so good.
  • The 12mm liner is super comfortable and snug but this restricts air flow, therefore feels a little bit hotter than the 6mm liner and the A2.

My dome is exactly 58cm and bald, the TLD sizing puts me square in the middle of M/L (see chart below) I have worn the XL/XXL in the A1, A2 and now the A3... and I have no hair to bulk it out either, the XL/XXL is a snug fit with the 12mm liner and a comfort fit with the 6mm liner on my 58cm head.

A very worthy upgrade over the A2, was due a new one anyway after nearly 4yrs wearing the A2.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
New helmet a couple of days ago, only took Aramex 26 days to deliver it.

Ridden 50km and 1100vm in it over the past 2 days in warmish weather.

Mini review summary, fckn awesome :)

I had the A2 since May 2018 and it was a great helmet.

The A3 is all the things the A2 was and has addressed all the small gripes and issues.

Good things over the A2..

• Does not interfere with glasses arms (my biggest issue), used to push sunnies down on the bridge of my nose when descending.
  • Better internal fit for those with a rounder head (and no hair)
  • Sweat wiper on the front
  • Straps now attach to the inside of the helmet rather than being strung from the outside so glasses arms can go over the straps (I usually ride with them over but I clearly have them under in todays picture)
  • Comes with 2 sets of liners, 6mm and 12mm thick
  • Comes with spare wipers, velcro dots and screws for visor
  • Better head coverage at the rear
  • Visor pushes right up
  • Fidlock closer
  • 3 position rear cradle
The not so good.
  • The 12mm liner is super comfortable and snug but this restricts air flow, therefore feels a little bit hotter than the 6mm liner and the A2.
My dome is exactly 58cm and bald, the TLD sizing puts me square in the middle of M/L (see chart below) I have worn the XL/XXL in the A1, A2 and now the A3... and I have no hair to bulk it out either, the XL/XXL is a snug fit with the 12mm liner and a comfort fit with the 6mm liner on my 58cm head.

A very worthy upgrade over the A2, was due a new one anyway after nearly 4yrs wearing the A2.

View attachment 386096

View attachment 386097
Blue steel

ausdb

Being who he is
I know helmets are a personal thing with fit, but what's the general thoughts on the Bell Sixer?
My old S-works roadie helmet has finally died after 12 years and are looking for something Mid range for general trail riding. BikeBug have one colour of the sixer for $160 which seems like a pretty good deal and about what I was prepared to spend.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Is the extra weight noticeable on the A3?
No.

Didnt even know there was a weight difference between the A3 and A2. Looks less than 30g (376g to 412g) but more rear coverage, magnetic closer, movable visor and other additions must be the additional weight.

They are a great helmet, I have about 10-12 rides on mine now.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
No.

Didnt even know there was a weight difference between the A3 and A2. Looks less than 30g (376g to 412g) but more rear coverage, magnetic closer, movable visor and other additions must be the additional weight.

They are a great helmet, I have about 10-12 rides on mine now.
I just picked up a Bell Super DH to replace my 6yo Bell Super. Downhill rated with the chin bar attached but you can't use it in a DH race here in Aus. That's OK as I don't race DH but just liked the idea of the rating.
Riding in hot and relatively humid conditions up here on the Sunshine Coast and it feels great. Not heavy at all in open face mode and seems well ventilated. Yet to use it in full face mode.

ozzybmx

I have just bough a Kask Caipi to bridge the gap between XC and Trail on hot summer rides.

They are my go-to helmet for everything else, currently have 2 x Mojitos, 1 x Vertigo and 1 x Protone which are all XC/Road/Gravel.

I either choose a XC style helmet for a light trail ride of go with the big A3.

The Caipi has been rated #1 as the most ventilated and airiest trail 'style' helmet.

Helmet is presently stuck at the back of the DHL warehouse in Frankfurt so it will be winter before it arrives :rolleyes:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know helmets are a personal thing with fit, but what's the general thoughts on the Bell Sixer?
My old S-works roadie helmet has finally died after 12 years and are looking for something Mid range for general trail riding. BikeBug have one colour of the sixer for $160 which seems like a pretty good deal and about what I was prepared to spend.
I’ve been riding one for over 2 years. Fits my melon and has ample vents to keep my head cool. Would buy another one if I broke this one.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Anyone using a leatt full face helmet on here?

If so, what size is ya noggin? And what size helmet are you wearing?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Anyone using a leatt full face helmet on here?

If so, what size is ya noggin? And what size helmet are you wearing?
So took a punt and bought a Leatt Gravity 4.0 "sight un-fitted". My head measures 59ish-cm so I went with a LARGE. Initial fit was a little tight (predominantly around my forehead).

Swapped out the thick cheek pads for the included thinner ones and the fit seems to be spot on, weirdly the thick cheek pads were causing a little bit of pressure on my forehead.

Wore it around the house for close to an hour and feels good. Actual ride comfort TBC.

My 59cm head is more oval than round as a reference. Also worth noting the L and XL share the same shell size but the padding is the difference.

Compress_20221031_123824_4421.jpg

Compress_20221031_175513_3856.jpg

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve been eyeing off the new Fox Proframe RS since I busted my OG Proframe a few weeks ago. Mainly because the Proframe fit well and stood up to a few years of clumsy abuse well.
So I was a bit disappointed when I got to try one on yesterday. It felt absolutely horrible.
For some reason (no I don’t have a pin head) the helmet shell pushed down hard on the crown of my head.
Even the saleskid said he couldn’t wear one.

So if anyone is thinking of an online purchase to replace their current proframe I’d advise trying one on first as it’s a completely different fit.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’ve been eyeing off the new Fox Proframe RS since I busted my OG Proframe a few weeks ago. Mainly because the Proframe fit well and stood up to a few years of clumsy abuse well.
So I was a bit disappointed when I got to try one on yesterday. It felt absolutely horrible.
For some reason (no I don’t have a pin head) the helmet shell pushed down hard on the crown of my head.
Even the saleskid said he couldn’t wear one.

So if anyone is thinking of an online purchase to replace their current proframe I’d advise trying one on first as it’s a completely different fit.
Good looking out @Jpez. That would indeed be a shit discovery after an online purchase...

Jpez

Down on the left!
Good looking out @Jpez. That would indeed be a shit discovery after an online purchase...
Yeah it’s a bugger. There are a lot of nice looking full face helmets out there but it’s too much of a risk to buy online at that price point without trying on.
I tried on the Leat that John has and again it just felt terrible. I might just end up with another OG Proframe. At least I know it fits and stands up well to abuse but did like the extra DH rating of the Proframe RS.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Yeah it’s a bugger. There are a lot of nice looking full face helmets out there but it’s too much of a risk to buy online at that price point without trying on.
I tried on the Leat that John has and again it just felt terrible. I might just end up with another OG Proframe. At least I know it fits and stands up well to abuse but did like the extra DH rating of the Proframe RS.
Specialized Gambit?