~~~~HELP DMR Transition~~~~

Mousty24

Cannon Fodder
One Q 4 people

Im wantin to make my bike single speed but dont wana spend the $$ doin that so ii i just took the gears off nd then take some links outa my chain would it work?????:confused:

lanky kona rider

Likes Bikes
I don't think you can put gears on them. I mean, the dropouts are like BMX dropouts, and there is no mech hanger. If he wants a DMR frame that can take a derailer i think it would be best to steer him in the direction of either a sidekick or trailstar. And they have the swapout things on em, so he can change his mind later if he wants to give single speed a try without getting a chain tensioner.

My 2c

Mousty24

Cannon Fodder
Will i need a chain tensioner

if i took links outa my chain put the chain on my exsistin cog will i need a rear chain tentioner to keep the chain on?????

lanky kona rider

Likes Bikes
if i took links outa my chain put the chain on my exsistin cog will i need a rear chain tentioner to keep the chain on?????
No, but a chain tensioner would stop you from having to take out links after every couple of rides. And unless you have a halflink chain it will be a right bitch getting the right tension. It can be done though.

Last edited:

lanky kona rider

Likes Bikes
Just Go Single Speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? so he can conform with all you anit-conformist hardcore hardtailers? Stop pressuring the dude into getting rid of his gears.

And Mousty24, is your derailer broken or something? If not, why don't u just wait till it is? running sp without a tensioner on verticle dropouts sucks arse. Your chain will just keep falling off.

Last edited:

lanky kona rider

Likes Bikes
grab yourself a ss kit. There has been so many threads on how to turn a bike single speed so I won't go into the exact details, just do a search.