Help me build a singles speed!!!

discofrank

Likes Dirt
So here i am thinking im going to build a nice single speed for riding around after work
and to help build strength for the local trails etc

now i have NO idea what frames are suitable ( i have been doing research in regards to chain tension etc )
not fussed with a ebb or horizontal dropouts ( pretty familiar with keeping chain tension and straight this way with a motorbike )
What i do have is
a 27.5 wheel set with rotors and tyres ( from a 2015 giant trance )
i think i have a saddle and a 30.9 seat post ( not to fussed on this )

so looking for a frame to take this wheel set
a decent set of forks ( no rigid ! ) maybe 120mm travel?
brakes , bb , cranks ( i do have a 110 bcd 34 t oval nw chain ring i can use )
chain and rear cog/spacers , bars and stem ( have grips )

please note i am on a budget! dont want cheap, but cant afford big $$

cheers all for the help!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How much is your budget?
I wouldnt be spec'ing a complete build on a few parts you have lying about either, but knowing you want 27.5 is good.

Few questions to ask yourself-

-You want alloy, steel or carbon? - You can pretty much get any material frame with sliding dropouts or EBB for less than $1000...some cheaper. (Excluding Ti)
-Do you want a MTB or road bias geo?
-What kind of trails are you going to ride it on?
-What width tyres you want to run?
-You gonna use it for bike packing/gravel grinding duties? (Do you need baggage/mudguard mounts)

Assuming it was me building a single speed, I'd go steel, MTB esque, 120mm for, capable of running 2.3" tyres minimum. I wouldnt care about EBB vs sliding dropout. On my list would be

- Kona Explosif
- Soma B-Side
- Cotic Soul

discofrank

Likes Dirt
How much is your budget? under 1k?

I wouldnt be spec'ing a complete build on a few parts you have lying about either, but knowing you want 27.5 is good. i do have rims nd tyres, makes life easy having the same

-You want alloy, steel or carbon? - You can pretty much get any material frame with sliding dropouts or EBB for less than $1000...some cheaper. (Excluding Ti) not fussed , steel or ali is fine with me , cant afford carbon!
-Do you want a MTB or road bias geo? MTB!
-What kind of trails are you going to ride it on?local trails around home basically basic / entry level easy stuff, if i am game ill go do some local mtb specific blue/green
-What width tyres you want to run? no more than 2.4
-You gonna use it for bike packing/gravel grinding duties? (Do you need baggage/mudguard mounts)no! maybe a front guard but they attach to the forks anyways

Assuming it was me building a single speed, I'd go steel, MTB esque, 120mm for, capable of running 2.3" tyres minimum. I wouldnt care about EBB vs sliding dropout. On my list would be

- Kona Explosif
- Soma B-Side
- Cotic Soul

cheers! best place to look?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How much is your budget? under 1k?

I wouldnt be spec'ing a complete build on a few parts you have lying about either, but knowing you want 27.5 is good. i do have rims nd tyres, makes life easy having the same

-You want alloy, steel or carbon? - You can pretty much get any material frame with sliding dropouts or EBB for less than $1000...some cheaper. (Excluding Ti) not fussed , steel or ali is fine with me , cant afford carbon!
-Do you want a MTB or road bias geo? MTB!
-What kind of trails are you going to ride it on?local trails around home basically basic / entry level easy stuff, if i am game ill go do some local mtb specific blue/green
-What width tyres you want to run? no more than 2.4
-You gonna use it for bike packing/gravel grinding duties? (Do you need baggage/mudguard mounts)no! maybe a front guard but they attach to the forks anyways

- Kona Explosif
- Soma B-Side
- Cotic Soul

cheers! best place to look?
With that kind of budget, I'b be looking at a complete hardtail and convert it to single speed. Something alloy (or Carbon if you can jag one) with a decent air fork and a threaded BB. Replace the BB with one of these http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php

All the small bits for a build ad up, and you'll struggle to meet your budget.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
With that kind of budget, I'b be looking at a complete hardtail and convert it to single speed. Something alloy (or Carbon if you can jag one) with a decent air fork and a threaded BB. Replace the BB with one of these http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php

All the small bits for a build ad up, and you'll struggle to meet your budget.
mm cheers

well i do have a giant talon.... i had thought about doing that up but it has a shitty cartridge fork on it...
no idea on th bb though...

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Another option is to run a cassette with limited gearing options. I run a 12-21 cassette which means I need power to ride up a fair bit of stuff but I can also actually ride fast elsewhere too.

That way maybe you only need a cassette and fork to get the talon going. You will get stronger not having easy gears to retreat to.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Just fill it with grease and then you'll be trendy with a 'rigid single speed'
umm pass thanks!

i dont do beards, flanno or fancy beer! :heh::heh::heh:

i have been offered a front/rear ring spacers and tensioner for a good price.. might just be easier to upgrade the fork on the talon and convert it!

i did go quite well on it when i got into mtb.. to the point i killed the fork ( replaced under warranty by sram ) and was told by the lbs ( not sure how much i belie them ) that i was out riding the fork and doing more than what it was intended....

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I may have a large Kona Explosif frame for a good price.
The seat stay has been re welded (it's been done by a pro so I wouldn't worry about it.) but it has sliding rear drop outs and beautiful ride. Together with a cassette spacer kit, it would give you a chance try single speeding on the cheap. And It could be later re painted or upgraded if you get the bug. PM me if you want some pics

Cheers!