Help on Car rego...

Roastin

Likes Bikes
Hi all, i'm about to purchase a really old car with a reconditioned engine. I know shit about what to do so here are my questions and hopefully some of you'll know what to do...

How do i go about transferring the ownership of the car to myself?
The rego on the car has expired, how do i get the rego renewed?
How much will that cost?
Because the engine is a reconditioned one and is not the original engine of the car, will that make it more troublesome to register?
Do i have to bring the car in for some sort of inspection to renew/register it?

Hope to hear some answers soon...

Cheers

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Roastin said:
Hi all, i'm about to purchase a really old car with a reconditioned engine. I know shit about what to do so here are my questions and hopefully some of you'll know what to do...

1,How do i go about transferring the ownership of the car to myself?
2,The rego on the car has expired, how do i get the rego renewed?
3,How much will that cost?
4,Because the engine is a reconditioned one and is not the original engine of the car, will that make it more troublesome to register?
5,Do i have to bring the car in for some sort of inspection to renew/register it?

Hope to hear some answers soon...

Cheers
1, go to your local RTA office.
2, You may have to get whats called a blue slip(like a pink slip but for cars that are more than 3 months out of rego) here, kinda the new version of taking your car over the pitts at the RTA. This can be expensive as the car must be 100% right to pass a blue slip test.
3, Depends where you are and what car it is and how old it is. The only reference i can give is my WR blue slip cost me about $80 but my bike was brand new.
4, a little bit but not really unless it's stolen, modified, or not the same as the original engine, there is a good chance it will have to be polution tested so if it is modified have a good think about that one. If it's different to the stock moter it may require an engineers certificate and these are usually around $500. Again, in this day and age of tight emition controls i'd have a good think about that one too.
5, depends on your area, i believe some states still use the "pitts" at the RTA and others just require the blue slip.

Hope that helps. What kinda car is it ? I may be able to give you some more/better info.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I got a blueslip for my new 120Y at the end of last year, after a small incident with the coupe.....anyways, the blue slip itself was only a little more than a pink slip, th expensive part is making sure it's worthy: ie. no rust, no oil leaks, plus all the obvious mech stuff. As for the emissions stuff, if the car was released pre-emissions, then it doesn't need to comply with current specs (that was my understanding anyway). As for the engineers cert. that should only be necessary if the new donk has a substantially (25% from memory) increased size or power output.
Keep your ear to the ground though, and see if you can hear anything about a "nicer" blue slip issuer. :wink: